collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi - closer for 2016  (Read 11391 times)

Offline J.Clark

Re: Abu Dhabi - closer for 2016
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
Montoya?
He didn't lose his seat as much because of the team orders issue as he did for recklessly taking out his team mate and other such things. 

The beginning of the end of his ride was at Indy, when he hit teammate Hakkonin.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Monty

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
One simple question - what would Rosberg have done in the same situation?
Something far worse than backing up the pack that's for sure!
These drivers are all competitive to the point of being ruthless.
I think we all owe Hamilton big thanks for adding a little bit of interest to an otherwise dreadful race!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 05:13:51 PM »
I'm with Dare on this one. The issue is not with Lewis' tactics, it's failure to follow your boss's orders. If you or I refused a direct order from our boss we would be on the unemployment line.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
I'd be in divorce court  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 06:11:19 PM »
Could be that Lewis was trying to tempt Nico to try an overtake, then push him off the track. I don't blame Nico for trying to stay away. |-(
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »
All of this is true in essence on both sides of the argument.

Just one thing though - Lewis not following team orders isn't unprecedented, as others have done it, and it isn't ground shaking news.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »

Just one thing though - Lewis not following team orders isn't unprecedented, as others have done it, and it isn't ground shaking news.

Webber can testify about that - "Multi 21 Seb, Multi 21"  :D     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
It's not that Hamilton was being unfair or cheating, it's that what he was doing was rather tacky in my view, there is a difference.  Trying to slow down the race is not really what Formula 1 should be about in my opinion, and I think that he would have sent a much more positive and more psychological message to Rosberg for next season had he just driven off into the distance.

Naturally, I agree that other drivers have done the same thing as Hamilton in the past, and sometimes on a much worse scale, such as when Schumacher let Irvine through into the lead at Malaysia in 1999, and then drove two seconds a lap slower to hold up Hakkinen and the rest of the pack, but I still don't like it.

The beginning of the end of his ride was at Indy, when he hit teammate Hakkonin.

You meant that Montoya collided with Raikkonen ;).

Also, talk about understatement, that collision resulted in a chain reaction which took out approximately one third of the field at the first corner!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:45:20 PM by Irisado »
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dare

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
JPM lost his seat at Andretti Racing because imo he was lousey
with the media and sponsors.......remind you of anyone
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »
Did you see Toto on Ch4's post race show?  He was being interviewed by DC, Susie Wolff, Eddie, Mark and that host guy.  Eddie started out by asking what Toto is going to do about such a bad boy disobeying team orders, so Toto played the typical boss and said he would have to do something because you cant have this happen and we need to win all the races bla-bla-bla, then a few other fence sitters that helped soften Toto's stance, and then finally DC who suggested they do nothing, since they provided as good a show as they could ask for, with drama, action and a Merc 1-2 WDC, WCC...why would you want anything different?  Toto seemed to agree with that point too and softened up even more.

I totally agree with DC - for once the cameras were on the Mercs most of the race, so from a corporate perspective, what would you want different?  For Toto to clamp down is just a show of his ego needing a stroke. 

To answer the question, no, I don't think they would actually fire him.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »
More to the point - Mercedes can't fire Hamilton. His contract is rock solid. The worst thing they could do is to stop him from driving while still paying his full salary!
I am disappointed with all the fuss about a guy controlling the race from the front. This has been done for one reason or another for decades. Of course Hamilton hoped that he could get Rosberg involved in a bit of a dog fight. It was his only chance of winning a Drivers World Championship that he richly deserved on merit. He did nothing unfair, illegal or even mildly immoral. I cannot think of a single F1 driver who would not have done exactly the same thing - even Mr Smiley Nice Guy Riciardo!! And if the people are complaining due to sympathy for Rosberg, just look at some of the stunts he has pulled through the years - reversing onto the track at Monaco being just one of many.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »
I can't see any problem with anything Hamilton did during the race,  it was his only option.  He tried to win with tactics rather than speed.  Nico would never overtake him in those circumstances,  just wait and collect the trophy.  It did make an otherwise dull race interesting,  and would have been more interesting if MV hadn't spun out (do you think someone was paid to nudge him ;) )  There is no way Hamilton would loose his job or seat in the car,  his reaction and statements after the race were worse than what he did on the track.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
Bit of pot stirring here. Does anyone seriously think Merc would fire Hamilton?

Not unless they want to lose a lot of sales in US to Rappers and the like. ;)

Lewis is well known and connected in the Black music scene in the States. With the way things are going with everything at the moment in the US I wouldn't want to be Merc's PR chief who has to explain away why they expected a man of colour to give his teammate an easy ride to the WDC.  Shouldn't come into it I know  :-[ but with social media platforms fuelling all kinds of agendas the crap storm could be bigger than VW's criminal actions fiddling emissions.  :(

On a brighter note, Lewis could probably buy his own team outright with the Multi million settlement Merc would have to cough up.  :D 

So yes a load of old Bull from lazy, or stupid journos.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 12:37:55 PM »
Who would they replace him with that doesn't already have a contract somewhere else? They'll probably hit him with a fine that he can easily afford, declare Nico the team's #1 driver (which, in Nikki & Toto's eyes he already is) and move on.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle