collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 350
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg retires!  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Monty

Rosberg retires!
« on: December 02, 2016, 01:37:10 PM »
I didn't see that one coming! Nico has retired with immediate effect! What will this do to the driver market????

Offline Steve A.

Re: Rosberg retires!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »
That's one way of getting to Hamilton,  he can never beat him to take the title back.   ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
So I wonder if Merc will bring Werlein up?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »
I have to say that I didn't see it coming; however, it does seem reminiscent of James Hunt. I think about now and it is what to always seemed to be missing from Nico's presence.

I wonder if that thought has entered Lauda's mind.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »
I'm a little older. It made me think about Mike Hawthorn retiring right after he won the 1958 WDC. I certainly hope it works out better for Nico.
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »
Alonso to Mercedes?

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
Wow...respect Nico. 

Yeah this is going to be a bit crazy until Merc signs someone.  I would love to see Alonso move back to Merc, but I'm not so sure those two should ever drive on the same team.  Of course it would be great for the drama, but on the other hand, that would leave McLaren without a driver.  Perhaps we didn't see Jenson's last race after all.

I think Merc should just call up Werhlein now. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »
I don't get it.

I understand that if your heart isn't 100% in it, being in an F1 car is a terrible idea, so I respect his decision to let someone who wants to be a racer race.  However, all he wanted was to be WDC?  I like my racers to be racers, not someone looking for a participation trophy. 

I couldn't imagine living with the WDC he won.  He had the best car by a long shot, and he only won because his teammate had ferociously bad luck.  (Don't get me wrong, I believe Nico earned the championship, I just feel like if he wants to go out 'on top', this is hardly an indication of being a great driver, just in the right place at the right time.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »
He could go on, but like Jeri suggests and many of us believe, he would be chasing his second WDC forever...perhaps he realizes that as well.  He has been in F1 for 10 years, has more money than he can spend in his lifetime (unless he spends like Hamilton), has very little chance at any further F1 achievements other than the next 50 races and the next 50 races... 

Nico has a new family and 30-40 productive years ahead of him to do whatever the heck he wants.  The more I think about it, I like his decision and respect him for having the guts to do it.  I never liked him as an F1 driver, but am finding it hard not to have more respect for him as a person.   :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »
Have to agree with Scott,  fair play to the man. He doesn't need the danger and all the hassle he gets from social media he has enough money to do pretty much what he wants. 

Offline Andy B

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
Scotty your comment "Nico has a new family and 30-40 productive years ahead of him to do whatever the heck he wants." I have to take you to task over this comment as Nico is 31 + 30/40 = 61 or 71 and as I'm 64 I hope you're not insinuating I've overstayed my welcome?  ;)

The sensible choice would be Wehrlein although Bottas could also be an option I somehow doubt Alonso or Vettel would give Toto and Co any easier time so what they'll do is going be in the headlines for awhile.
I think Nico had visions of multiple championships till Lewis turned up and would he have retired if Lewis pipped him this year?
Who wants Nico's book for Christmas 2017?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 08:30:21 PM »

A shock to say the least, however it makes sense when you consider it will be almost impossible to beat Lewis 2 years in a row in the same car.

At least it puts to rest the sack Lewis theory, Merc can hardly lose both drivers now can they?  ;) :D :DD 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 10:33:20 PM »
I'd love to see Button get a seat at Mercedes. I think he'd do well in a top flight car.
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 10:46:20 PM »
I saw this last night and started to post it but then
I thought it was a phoney story.Bring on Button
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle