collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg retires!  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Rosberg retires!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 11:01:42 PM »
I saw this at lunch and assumed it was December Fools' Day. Now I see it is officially confirmed, I feel several things. Disappointed, because Nico clearly has more years of excitement to give us, respect that Nico has acheived quite a lot and happiness that he gets to achieve the thing he really wanted and then enjoy being with his family (in a similar way to Fisico getting what he wanted most out of F1 - a race in a Ferrari - and then enjoy more time with his family). It remains to be seen whether Nico decides, like Fisico, that he needs to race for fun in another series at some future point.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 12:21:44 AM »

Or as Clint Eastwood's character Dirty Harry is so fond of saying "A man's gotta know his limitations".

With completely new regs next year for everyone to cope with, especially for Merc to try to keep top spot, it turns out Nico is as about as good a team player as Dirty Harry - but without his tenacity.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 06:15:40 AM »
With several of you wishing JB in a Merc I don't think that's going to happen as he has had Lewis as team mate before and praises his speed and although he would stand a good chance of being up the front there's no guarantee of a WC which I think is all that would attract him. Sadly.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 08:52:43 AM »
hehe...referring to your earlier post Andy, it's all about how you take care of yourself.  I hope to ski and bike in my 80's like parents of a friend of mine. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »
In fairness to Nico, He's not the first race driver to walk away from the sport at the height of their careers. Something inside just says it's time to walk away. JYS did it after the death of his friend & teammate François Cevert.

It will be interesting to see if he stays retired or if he's back in IndyCar or sports cars is the future.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 11:34:17 PM »
In fairness to Nico, He's not the first race driver to walk away from the sport at the height of their careers. Something inside just says it's time to walk away. JYS did it after the death of his friend & teammate François Cevert.

It will be interesting to see if he stays retired or if he's back in IndyCar or sports cars is the future.

Jackie was going to retire anyway.I think that was going
to be his last race.Hunt walked away but he wasn't in a
top team by then.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 12:24:21 AM »
Jackie Stewart said - It is better to be asked "why did you retire?" than "why haven't you retired".

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 03:35:52 AM »
Jackie Stewart said - It is better to be asked "why did you retire?" than "why haven't you retired".

Wiz

Stewart was definitely in a different era.  Certainly F1 racing is dangerous, but the life of a retired F1 driver seems to be plenty dangerous too.  Even active drivers run greater risk outside an F1 car than inside.

As long as someone wants to race, and someone will let them, I don't mind watching guys embarrass themselves out there (as long as they're not risking anyone's lives, of course)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 05:13:29 AM »
Nico has retired from F1 he's not necessarily retired from motorsport.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 09:44:21 PM »
A few days on and it is still odd that he has retired, I credit him though for making the decision and don't blame him at all.  He has nothing left to prove and can only really go backwards from where he is now.  I just hope Mercedes go for Button and leave Bottas alone.  Please Mercedes... Leave the Williams team alone :good:

Offline Andy B

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:13 PM »
A few days on and it is still odd that he has retired, I credit him though for making the decision and don't blame him at all.  He has nothing left to prove and can only really go backwards from where he is now.  I just hope Mercedes go for Button and leave Bottas alone.  Please Mercedes... Leave the Williams team alone :good:

Obviously you cannot discount JB but it would contradict what he has said and may have been tempted if another WC was the chance but he's had Lewis as a team mate before and has always praised his speed so I doubt it'll happen but I also read this morning that Bottas is the favourite with Wehrlein taking his place and Williams being offered an engine deal for it to happen. All speculation or course.

guest3164

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 10:19:45 PM »
Yeah, I've seen those rumours too but I guess it depends on how bad Williams are really doing financially as I cannot imagine that Wehrlein will perform as consistently as Bottas and next season the midfield will be very tough so the drivers might make more of a difference.  But if there my lot are up the creek financially I guess it makes sense to have a short term cash boost and hope Pascal picks up over the season.  I'd prefer Bottas mind you!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
Niki isn't happy with Nico:

"On one hand, you have to accept if Nico wants to go," Lauda said. "But on the other, Nico signed a two-year contract with us in August. What bothers me is that Nico tells us that if he had not become world champion, he would have gone on. I think he could at least have hinted at this when he agreed to the contract. He says he just wanted to be champion and then stop, but the problem is that he never gave any signals that this was his concept. After all, 1,200 people of the F1 division at Mercedes gave him every opportunity to become world champion with a super car. And then he gave us his resignation overnight.

"This lone decision of Nico's -- and I mean everyone at Brackley and with Mercedes and many people who have worked closely with him, his engineers and mechanics -- has ripped a giant hole in this excellent working team."

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/niki-lauda-blasts-nico-rosberg-breaking-mercedes-f1-contract
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 12:47:17 PM »
I've said before in other topics that Rosberg is being very selfish by leaving Merc in the lurch.  >:(  Sure he has a right to do it, however his grounds of achieving his lifelong desire are a bit thin.

He signed a 2 year deal this summer knowing that he would walk if he became WDC smacks of extreme selfishness towards all the mechanics, engineers, designers and other assorted dedicated members of the Merc F1 team.

He could have stayed for one more year to help with the transition to the new wider track cars under the new regs, if the new car is off the pace then yes he could consider leaving mid season if things can't be improved.

I think Merc should sue him for breaking his contact and recoup some of the millions it's paid him, they could use it to pay compensation to the team they take his replacement from. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle