collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 510
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Who do you think will join Lewis for 2017 and beyond?

Alonso
Vettel
Bottas
Wehrlein
Orcon
Di Resta
Other

Author Topic: Mercedes second seat  (Read 15073 times)

Offline Irisado

Re: Mercedes second seat
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
Bottas will get the second Mercedes seat in my view.  The team has made it very clear that they want an experienced driver in the second car and that Wehrlein isn't ready.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
Wehrlein seems to have dropped out of the running, he's signed to Sauber according to reports on many websites.

Guess that only leaves Bottas still standing as a candidate then.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 02:24:39 AM »
Bottas maybe trying for a contract longer than a year when Vettel and Alonso come onto the market, next years musical seats is going to be interesting!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
I didn't know that Toto Wolff is part of Bottas's management team.

Yeah that's interesting.  Was Toto still at Williams when they first got Bottas?  I think Team Principals should be forbidden to have management contracts with drivers, just in principle.   :tease:

No kidding.  How can you trust a driver whose financial security is handled by a guy running another team?

Seems like a major conflict of interests to me.They have enough to do without managing drivers on the side.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
I didn't know that Toto Wolff is part of Bottas's management team.

Yeah that's interesting.  Was Toto still at Williams when they first got Bottas?  I think Team Principals should be forbidden to have management contracts with drivers, just in principle.   :tease:

No kidding.  How can you trust a driver whose financial security is handled by a guy running another team?

Seems like a major conflict of interests to me.They have enough to do without managing drivers on the side.

More interesting is how does Toto negotiate with himself over Valtteri's deal at Merc?
 ...........does he have to talk to himself???  ;) :D :DD

Seriously though how can he serve Merc or Bottas well in this circumstance, he will know both sides of any negotiations so lays himself open, at the very least, to a perception of serving one at the expense of the other. If the actual race team managers in Merc team favour a one year deal and Bottas wants multi-year how on earth can Toto advise either? 

Toto should have resigned his driver management role immediately Bottas was identified as a target for the seat, tough for Valtteri as he would have to accept strangers as his new guardians - but necessary for the good of all concerned. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »
Sounds like Briatore and Alonso...unfortunately there is already a precedent.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
It might have worked in Valterri's favor in the past. I wonder if having Bottas get a race seat at Williams helped them get favorable terms on Mercedes engines? Getting him race experience while waiting for a seat to open at Merc might have been the plan all along.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
It might have worked in Valterri's favor in the past. I wonder if having Bottas get a race seat at Williams helped them get favorable terms on Mercedes engines? Getting him race experience while waiting for a seat to open at Merc might have been the plan all along.

If that's the case, then Bottas might receive far more support over Hamilton than Nico ever did.  That could make things very interesting if you enjoy Hamilton's tantrums!

Offline Dare

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
Sounds like Briatore and Alonso...unfortunately there is already a precedent.

Ask Fisichelli how well tat worked out?I remember one race Alonso slowed down for some reason I can't remember and Alonso about had a fit.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
Mika Hakkinen is also a part of Bottas's management team. He confirms that talks with Mercedes are ongoing.

"The situation could not be better from the driver's side than being wanted and being a driver that is being sought after, especially by a team that has dominated Formula 1," Hakkinen told Finnish broadcaster MTV. "So this is a great situation. A dream situation."

Asked if there has been negotiations between Bottas and Mercedes, Hakkinen replied: "Yes, I'm sure there has been. What's going on there remains to be seen and it's not up to me.

"I am not going to joke around or say anything about [a deadline]. [The Mercedes drive] will be confirmed of course before the first race and there is not a long time before things will start happening. A good time before the first tests I am sure we will find out what is going to happen [this year]."

It would only seem logical that any deal would be in place before testing starts next month.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/137603-f1-no-deal-but-hakkinen-confirms-bottas-talks
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle