collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 298
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: No Punishment for Lewis  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Scott

Re: No Punishment for Lewis
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »
I'll call BS on Toto...they would have been VERY unhappy if Lewis had managed to get Rosberg close enough to push him off the track and end his championship.  He knows perfectly well that both his drivers would have raced dirty if it meant winning the WDC.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 04:46:41 AM »
Mmmmm! I don't think that was Lewis's plan he needed to win the race and forcing Nico off could only have ended in disaster so backing him into Vettel and Mad Max was a reasonable plan.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »
Just a guess, and running someone wide doesn't mean he necessarily can't win the race.  As long as they didn't crash but he pushed Rosberg far enough off to either spin or lose a few places, then mission accomplished.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 10:58:50 PM »
Just a guess, and running someone wide doesn't mean he necessarily can't win the race.  As long as they didn't crash but he pushed Rosberg far enough off to either spin or lose a few places, then mission accomplished.

Whilst that's true there's the real risk of getting a time penalty or drive thru in any coming together or taking away an over takers space, Lewis couldn't risk losing places himself, his job would be even harder.

There was never a risk of a penalty from slowing the car behind, as Lewis has said you can win at any speed so long as you don't block the car behind illegally. It ain't pretty but the car behind has to find a way to pass - if they want to.  :D   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 11:40:57 AM »
There is no safe way of 'running someone off the road' in open wheel classes plus I do not believe a driver of Hamilton's standing would even try. We all know that some really dirty drivers have deliberately finished another drivers race but this has happened when the perpetrator has nothing to lose (e.g. Schumacher on Damon Hill). In this case Lewis had everything to lose and Rosberg had much less to lose. Hoping that other drivers might make life difficult for Rosberg was a perfectly reasonable strategy for Hamilton to use and Mercedes made themselves look foolish by making the unnecessary radio calls. Of course they were never going to 'punish' Hamilton.  :fool:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
There is no safe way of 'running someone off the road' in open wheel classes plus I do not believe a driver of Hamilton's standing would even try. We all know that some really dirty drivers have deliberately finished another drivers race but this has happened when the perpetrator has nothing to lose (e.g. Schumacher on Damon Hill). In this case Lewis had everything to lose and Rosberg had much less to lose. Hoping that other drivers might make life difficult for Rosberg was a perfectly reasonable strategy for Hamilton to use and Mercedes made themselves look foolish by making the unnecessary radio calls. Of course they were never going to 'punish' Hamilton.  :fool:

If it's never been done, all the more reason that Lewis would consider it.

I don't think it was his plan, but he's been in enough bumps in an F1 car that if anyone on the grid can take someone out and keep going, it would be Lewis.

If that was his plan though, it would have happened.

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »

Rosberg ran Hamilton off the road and it caused them both to crash out (Spain), and Hamilton ran Rosberg off the road and Rosberg lost at least a couple of places (cant remember the race, but it was early in the race and in fact I think Rosberg took that one - maybe one of Hamiltons technical failures) - plus Austria was questionable.  All were intentional in my opinion and happened this season.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it does happen.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »

If that was his plan though, it would have happened.

Sure, but as I've explained the risk made it a totally unworkable plan that's why he never even considered using it.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 09:10:04 PM »
Nico does have a reputation for making mistakes under pressure. Lewis might have been hoping for that when Max & Seb started pressuring Nico.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle