collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 319
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will Massa make surprise return to F1?  (Read 6203 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will Massa make surprise return to F1?
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:04:33 AM »
Merc have made approach for Bottas, Williams reluctant to let go.

Seems only real answer to getting experienced driver into Williams at this stage is to recall Felippe, well that's according to BBC News. Will Massa be keen though? 
Not sure myself but what does anyone else think?   

Deputy team principal Claire Williams told BBC Sport the team would let Bottas leave "if an experienced, credible alternative was available".
                                                 ______   _________   ______

"If we did allow Valtteri to leave, we would only do this if an experienced, credible alternative was available, such as someone like Felipe Massa, for example."

Williams, who finished fifth in the championship in 2016, have rejected Mercedes' first offer for Bottas, but talks are ongoing.

The team are playing hardball with Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff because he is in a difficult position having to find a team-mate for Hamilton when all the leading names are under contract.

However, it is a sensitive situation because Williams use Mercedes engines and want to keep a good relationship with the German manufacturer.
And now Mercedes have expressed an interest, Bottas is keen to take up the opportunity to join a front-running team.

Extracts from a longer piece courtesy Andrew Benson, BBCsport.co.uk, Thurs 15th Dec.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:11:10 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Will Massa make surprise return to F1?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:46:10 AM »
I suppose Massa would be more interested in the Mercedes seat, but perhaps Merc can boost Massa's retainer at Williams and/or reduce the engine prices.  You never know.  I think Massa was reluctant to retire. 

The question is if it would be good for Williams.  If I was Williams, I would give up Bottas, in return for a pay drive from Wehrlein, who Mercedes owns (and cheaper engines).  He has spent two years testing for Merc before joining Manor this past season, and has driven for the most part way above what the car is capable of. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »

Deputy team principal Claire Williams told BBC Sport the team would let Bottas leave "if an experienced, credible alternative was available".

I think teams are falling into some sort of trap that experience counts in F1.  Yes, drivers like Alonso, Raikkonnen and Vettel started out with 'smaller' teams, but drivers like Button, Jacques Villeneuve and Lewis Hamilton dove right into top seats.  (Certainly one can argue that Villeneuve was an 'experienced' driver from his IndyCar championship).

Schumacher got his start with Jordan, mostly because it was literally the only opening, he left as soon as he could.

My point is, with the simulators teams have now, any sufficiently talented driver can be expected to win on day one (in a competitive car).  I don't think F1 experience is particularly essential. 

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:56:10 AM »
The youngsters Jeri all had experienced team mates!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
Yes, but in many cases the rookie outperformed the experience. :DntKnw:

guest3164

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »
It will be so disappointing if Massa comes back out of retirement to race again for my lot next season.  I was never a fan although he did pleasantly surprise me during his 3 years but clearly his form was terribly erratic, especially last year even before he announced his retirement.  But that said, I cannot see an experienced pair of hands who can come in and lead the team next season should the inevitable happen and Bottas make the move to Mercedes.  I get the feeling 2017 will be a very long season for this Williams fan  :'(

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »
Not sure I would like to see him change his mind,  however if Button had an extra year there I would be happy with that. 

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
Not sure I would like to see him change his mind,  however if Button had an extra year there I would be happy with that.

You and me both.  He was my first choice for the 2017 seat at Williams, regardless of who his team mate was!

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »
Massa made the right decision to retire and I don't
believe he has anything to offer Williams.Seems to me
any of the highly rated test driver would have enough experience
to step right into Williams.They have to have learned something
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 08:50:05 PM »
Yes, but in many cases the rookie outperformed the experience. :DntKnw:

Very true Scott but how much set up and tactics were swapped between them plus this was in a period where the engineers were driving the cars!
Lewis was a prime example by beating Alonso over the season and only missed out on a WC due to McLaren mismanagement but then not every driver is of the caliber of Lewis and Mad Max. I can fully understand a team wanting an experienced drive teamed with a youngster for continuity.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »
I just think Wehrlein has earned a chance.  If I was Claire and there was a bit of financial incentive from Merc for taking Bottas, I would gamble on Pascal.

guest3164

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
There seem to be an awful lot of rumours that Martini don't want two younger drivers in the team and really want one who is 25 or over.  It could be more complicated for Williams than just a bit of extra Mercedes cash if the title sponsor has such clauses in their T&Cs. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
 :DD :DD  You're kidding me...Martini is insisting on drivers who can drink?  Do they actually have to drink Martini, or can they just do water and pretend they are getting hammered (who would want to get drunk on Martini - yuk)?

If Williams signed a contract with a crazy clause like that, then they deserve to be the nursing home for older drivers.   :crazy: :crazy:

guest3164

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
I guess losing the Maldonado money meant the team were desperate for a title sponsor and Martini had the team over a barrel.  I guess if you're a drinks company, you need to have someone who looks like they should be able to drink.  It is pretty much given that the team had to delay the Stroll announcement until he was 18 and legally able to drink in the UK where the team are based.  Lovely livery, diabolical deal I think.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
I guess losing the Maldonado money meant the team were desperate for a title sponsor and Martini had the team over a barrel.  I guess if you're a drinks company, you need to have someone who looks like they should be able to drink.  It is pretty much given that the team had to delay the Stroll announcement until he was 18 and legally able to drink in the UK where the team are based.  Lovely livery, diabolical deal I think.

Absolutely - I love the livery, but if it comes with strings like that, well...

Wehrlein is 23, so I think Martini could afford to soften that clause a bit for a decent and inexpensive driver.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle