collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: ....and today's rumour; Ron Dennis to buy Manor  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Monty

....and today's rumour; Ron Dennis to buy Manor
« on: December 22, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
I have seen several reports suggesting that Ron's Chinese investors will support him to purchase Manor.
Stranger things have happened!
A fired-up Ron Dennis with lots of cash in his pocket could be a real threat.
I understand that he is still well liked by Honda and Mercedes so getting a good engine shouldn't be a problem.
Interesting times!

guest3164

Re: ....and today's rumour; Ron Dennis to buy Manor
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »
Nooo, he fell out with Mercedes, they dislike him immensely from what I am aware!  But Honda I think are okay and would like to have a second team in 2018 so that could work.  I would love to see Ron back and with a new team.  The added 'edge' of seeing him take on McLaren would be fascinating too.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:04:43 PM »
I don't know if Ron starting over at his age is a great idea.  I'm not so sure why he doesn't just find a fun hobby (buy a Caterham or something  ;) ) and just enjoy life without F1.

But if it is going to happen no matter what, then Chinese backing and Ron running the show should secure Manor's future for years to come.  It will be interesting to watch him build the team.  He might be better off buying Force India, and even if they aren't technically on the market, I think they would be for sale if the price was right, and they are much farther up the grid.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 10:23:21 PM »
I've also read rumors of the Indonesian branch of Kentucky Fried Chicken being interested in Manor. Another rumor says Tavo Helmund, the man behind the Mexican F1 & the Austin race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »
I've heard that GPWizard are interested in purchasing the team and next year's Grid Game prize will be Team Principal.  Runner up prize Chief Engineer and 3rd place will be designated 3rd driver (Subject to Super License criteria being fulfilled).   8)

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »
I don't like Dennis but this would be great for the team,  and for the grid. Very interesting to watch development.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
I heard that Ron was interested until Sauber took Manor out of the top 10 in Brazil, and that things got quiet after that. Then again, 4 different entities are rumoured to be considering Manor (one led by Graeme Lowdon, two consortiums - one Chinese, one from various places that may or may not be the new Qadbak, and the Dennis loyalist faction).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:57:23 PM »
I've not heard this, but I really hope it's true. I was a McLaren fan for many years and whatever you think of Ron, he deserves a better swansong than the one the McLaren board gave him.

That said, times have changed. Teams these days seem to need a management team to thrive rather a single boss. A team at the back of the grid however could really benefit from the old school foundations Ron could put in place.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
I've been hearing that all this talk of Ron investing in Manor pre-dates his ousting at Macca. This seems to make more sense if you factor in Honda's stated aim of supplying another team by 2018.

Ron would not want to give up his factory team status with Honda so by controlling a second string team could make sure that the other engine user did not have the ability long term to out perform Macca. He'd be following the Red Bull - Torro Rosso model, starve the 2nd team of full potential by limiting funds and pinch any top driver that emerges.  ;) 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle