collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 523
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grand Prix style events on English roads get go-ahead  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Wizzo

Grand Prix style events on English roads get go-ahead
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
Monaco-style Grands Prix events could be hosted on English roads under new laws coming into force on Monday.

They will allow motorsport promoters to apply for permission from local authorities to close public roads in England to stage races. The government said the move "could be a real boost" to tourism. The final decision on whether a race is safe to proceed would be made by councils, police and other local bodies.

Motoring fixtures from small-scale local events to international races, such as a city-based Grand Prix, could get the green light.

Wiz

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Grand Prix style events on English roads get go-ahead
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »
This is excellent! We won't see a city Grand Prix, not for a long time, but certainly this will be great for grassroots motorsport.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »
About 30 years ago, a little town called Eloy, about halfway between Tucson and Phoenix, held a number of quite successful SCCA races. The insurance people ended them because the town could not afford the kind of barriers necessary. Road & Track even covered them a couple times.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 03:25:04 AM »
There used to be a race weekend in Birmingham UK from 1986 to 1990 which was very well liked but in the end council losses caused it to be cancelled when a buyer for the event could not be found. I'm unsure how they circumnavigated the legal side of the time but to put on an event now would take millions and need to have a return to be successful so I doubt it'll happen anytime soon but we can live in hope.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/memories-of-birmingham-superprix-246030
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:28:18 AM »
There used to be a race weekend in Birmingham UK from 1986 to 1990 which was very well liked but in the end council losses caused it to be cancelled when a buyer for the event could not be found. I'm unsure how they circumnavigated the legal side of the time but to put on an event now would take millions and need to have a return to be successful so I doubt it'll happen anytime soon but we can live in hope.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/memories-of-birmingham-superprix-246030

Uniquely for a place in the UK, Birmingham has a grant permitting a street race. I'm not sure how they negotiated that one, or why nobody else did, but their Superprixs were completely above-board. It has continued to be valid all these years, resulting in occasional rumours of a return to motor sport, but the council was put off by the bad financial problems associated with the Superprix.

Nowadays, I think it would be more likely that an established race organiser would use a city or town race to expand, or Scotland would use it to increase the number and scope of their rallies.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
In my experience, venturing out onto most roads in the UK gives the chance to see Grand Prix racing and speeds!
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
In my experience, venturing out onto most roads in the UK gives the chance to see Grand Prix racing and speeds!

Ha ha very true!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 08:49:50 AM »
Due to the poor condition of our roads - the events will all be more like rally stages than GP's whatever cars are involved!

Offline Robem64

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »
Due to the poor condition of our roads - the events will all be more like rally stages than GP's whatever cars are involved!

Also very true
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle