collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 312
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Less British than you think  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Dare

Less British than you think
« on: December 24, 2016, 12:09:59 AM »
I did this a few months ago.Kinda neat....most Americans are told and think
their part Native America...I was and found out that was false.

https://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/british-are-less-british-than-we-think/?o_xid=73794&o_lid=73794&o_sch=External+Paid+Media

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Less British than you think
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:39:38 PM »
Hard to trust their facts when they talk about British and show only a map of England.  :confused: 

Britain (as in British Isles) is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, England is not Britain per se but part of it.

Us English have known for a long, long time that we are a mongrel race,  :D  made up of many bloodlines.

For the record Celts, were across all of western Europe at one time, it was a culture as well as ethnicity, so it's hard to see how they can only be classified as Irish?  :crazy:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 12:23:35 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »
On the continent The Celts were conquered and assimilated. Ireland was isolated enough to preserve Celtic custom and bloodline more intact. Of course Scotland and Wales have a heavy Celtic influence as well.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 12:32:29 AM »
On the continent The Celts were conquered and assimilated. Ireland was isolated enough to preserve Celtic custom and bloodline more intact. Of course Scotland and Wales have a heavy Celtic influence as well.

Assimilated?? Nah!   Conquered yes - the Romans tended not to mate with the locals so the Western Europeans continued on to give us the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Gauls. Given this the Western European lineage is really an extension of the Celtic peoples from before the Roman Empire. Hey but why let that get in the way of a good marketing ploy.  ::)

Perhaps it would be more accurate to call it less Celtic than you expected.  ;)   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 01:34:19 AM »
I would have thought the Roman's where ever they were at when
marry and have families with the locals.The Roman Empire covered
most of the world at one time and Italy is the country of amore.And
besides while the tests might mean little they are fun.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 01:37:37 AM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 03:05:51 AM »
The science is a bit unclear and changing a bit with new archaeological evidence being added constantly. Some feel Celtic refers to a language and set of customs more than a racial group. During the Iron Age it spread over most of Europe from Spain/Portugal across France, Northern Italy, the Balkans, Austria, Germany even into Turkey. They included the people Caesar called the Gauls. They may not have been genetically assimilated, but they were culturally. The Celtic culture was pushed into the areas of Britain that the Romans did not conquer.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:34:06 AM »
Hard to trust their facts when they talk about British and show only a map of England.  :confused: 

Britain (as in British Isles) is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, England is not Britain per se but part of it.

Us English have known for a long, long time that we are a mongrel race,  :D  made up of many bloodlines.

For the record Celts, were across all of western Europe at one time, it was a culture as well as ethnicity, so it's hard to see how they can only be classified as Irish?  :crazy:

Anecdotally, I've noticed that Scots, Welsh and Irish will identify themselves as such, whereas English are more likely to identify themselves as 'British' instead of English.  I even notice this in F1 coverage, Hamilton and Button are called Brits, never English, though DiResta and Coulthard were often called Scots (though occasionally lumped in with British)

However, when discussing ancestry amongst Canadians, we'll always refer to 'English', instead of 'British' (as well as Scotch, Irish (Orange or Catholic) or Welsh)

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »
I've always identified myself as English 1st and British 2nd.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
I identify myself as European now, and have never identified myself as English.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jenji Stone

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »
Quite difficult to say, i am English first, then British next. But my husband begs to differ. He is British first then English next.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
I am Scott-ish first, but my world has no borders.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
Citizen of the universe first, then human, then British, then Derbyshirean. I don't really regard myself as English any more than I do Scottish (which is amusing considering the Scottish element is from 4 generations back, with everything more recent than that coming from a 15-mile radius of my very English home), though this did not prevent the French police insisting I was Scottish (complete with inpenetrable regional accent) until I showed them my passport! I've also been described as being several other nationalities and cultures (Italian, Spanish, Australian, Indian, generic Arabic) usually by people who should have known better given the evidence available to them.

Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish and Brittanic Celts were distinct peoples with various levels of assimilation, though it is true that only the former two retain any distinct culture other than their language. (Brittanic Celts aren't British at all, they are from Brittany in Western France, which didn't assimilate into Gaul as smoothly as the rest of France did). The Scottish Celts are much more likely to describe themselves as Gaelic, just to further confuse the issue. lkjohnson1950's post about the Celts is also correct as far as I know.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »
These days, I'm just saying I'm from the U.F.P.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Philbe

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »

with a bit of newfie....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle