collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 384
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: World's fastest police cars  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Robem64

Re: World's fastest police cars
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
and then there's this - the one that doesn't move and catches most!
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
Most of the police departments & sheriff's offices around here are getting rid of their Hemi Chargers. The cars are eating transmissions. Most are going to Ford Explorers with the Police Interceptor package.

Here's a police vehicle I saw a while back in Southhaven, Mississippi. An older Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor converted to a low rider. It was converted by the local high school auto mechanics class and was used as a public relations vehicle.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »
Around here they use whatever's on sale...a mush-mash of VW's, Skoda's and BMW's.  As long as it has 4WD.  They use radios and helicopters for drivers that don't want to stop...otherwise what's the point of a gas guzzler? 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »
Around here they use whatever's on sale...a mush-mash of VW's, Skoda's and BMW's.  As long as it has 4WD.  They use radios and helicopters for drivers that don't want to stop...otherwise what's the point of a gas guzzler?

Large vehicles, such as Crown Vics, Dodge Chargers and Ford Explorers provide several tactical advantages:
  • Storage space for equipment
  • Easier egress for officers who need to get out of their car quickly
  • Large mass for safely disabling other vehicles in a pursuit situation (the body on frame Crown Vic was known to be very easy to repair after being used as a weapon)
  • Engines designed for, and spare space in the chassis for alternative fuel supplies.  (They may guzzle gasoline, but they save money by running natural gas or propane.)

Politically, small cars tend to be assembled by non -union workers outside of Canada/USA.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
It's apples and oranges...I guess my point is that they practice a much different type of policing over here, and don't need such extravagant equipment.  Don't get me wrong, when there is trouble, they pull out heavy equipment, but it is more likely to be a water cannon than anything lethal.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »
It's apples and oranges...I guess my point is that they practice a much different type of policing over here, and don't need such extravagant equipment.  Don't get me wrong, when there is trouble, they pull out heavy equipment, but it is more likely to be a water cannon than anything lethal.

Non lethal equipment takes up far more space than lethal equipment does.  I suppose the difference is in North America support units aren't likely to be nearby at any given time, so it makes sense to travel with a variety of equipment.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
Yeah but if you have to get a ticket wouldn't you rather it be
from a cop in a Lambo....probably as close as I'll ever get
to one.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »
to one.

lol.  ask for a full breathalyzer test back at the station, get a ride in a Lambo

Assuming I fit in one...

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 12:47:31 AM »
to one.

lol.  ask for a full breathalyzer test back at the station, get a ride in a Lambo

Assuming I fit in one...

There.s no back seat so either call a paddy wagon or strap me to the roof.
Another thing about a Crown Victoria is cops don't have to worry about eating too
many doughnuts

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 03:57:19 AM »
I read somewhere that some of the supercars cops use are confiscated cars from illegal drug operations and why not although the maintenance costs will be through the roof.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 06:24:27 AM »
I don't think Dubai worries too much about the cost.

Another strong point about the Crown Vics was their body on frame construction. They could take a whale of a pounding and bounce right back with just a few new body panels.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 02:54:28 PM »
I read somewhere that some of the supercars cops use are confiscated cars from illegal drug operations and why not although the maintenance costs will be through the roof.

Read this Andy.$80,000 for a Astin tranny

http://www.secretentourage.com/lifestyle/autos/cost-of-ownership-of-an-exotic-car/

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »

Read this Andy.$80,000 for a Astin tranny

http://www.secretentourage.com/lifestyle/autos/cost-of-ownership-of-an-exotic-car/

When in a Jaguar/Aston dealership Dare I was told, after drooling at a DB9 heading for the workshop, that a full service costs £5000 and that was in 2005. Too rich for my blood but nice to dream of.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 01:22:52 AM »
Friend of mine said a full service on his Ferrari 348 was $7500!
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle