collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Russian GP  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Russian GP
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
I think Haas' brake problem is not with the brakes...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
I think Haas' brake problem is not with the brakes...

Quite right Ali Grosjean needs to be taken out to the back of the garage and given a slap he's an employee saw as the rest and so sackable if he does not shape up.
Gets off soapbox and leaves.  :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
Brembo - Carbone - Brembo...totally agree with Ali, the problem isn't the brakes.  It's a setup problem that the engineers haven't figured out, and Grossjean hasn't come to grips with.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
I am hoping for a race with no Safety Car.

It should be an interesting outcome, even if there isn't much overtaking; although, it does seem overtaking, or at least wheel-to-wheel racing is going to be happening this season.

Vettel should win it, and based upon history (his), Bottas should be able to beat Hamilton.

It may just be in qualifying, but it does appear that Massa could be fighting with the Red Bulls for a change.  We can hope . . .
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
K-Mag seem to not be effected by the changes. This is the third week in a row that one of the Haas drivers has had a good lap at the end of Q1 cut off by a yellow flag.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »
K-Mag seem to not be effected by the changes. This is the third week in a row that one of the Haas drivers has had a good lap at the end of Q1 cut off by a yellow flag.

Just shows they should get on it earlier or take the risk of a drop, surely though it's one of the things that makes this quali format entertaining. Also causes movement through the field from further back during the race, another bonus for us viewers.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
While I like the end result - what a miserable parade to watch.

I put it almost entirely on the circuit too.  There has not been, nor is there likely to be, an exciting race at this venue.

Online Dare

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Yeah Jim if you got distracted during lap one turn one you missed
the overtaking.

I really thought Vettel would win this one wire to wire and Lewis
would finish second.Ocon and Hulk fooled me.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »
This race was almost as boring as Sochi's debut and I didn't even ask for a boring race this time...

Heroes

Bottas - Converted his 3rd place optimally, with the least-worst strategy of the frontrunners and a super start. Enjoy it, Valterri.

Ocon - Helped influence the race ending, so good was his defence of Hulkenberg. Routinely improving and was one of the more interesting ones to watch in the race.

Massa - Great run until the puncture, and wasn't far off finishing 8th despite it.

Zeroes

Honda - I wanted to write what is wrong with Honda's *splutter*

Haas - I'm not sure what their "brakes" issue is, but if it is brakes it's going a really good illusion act.

Putin - If you're going to do a big "I am, Russia is" speech, it's probably better to do it when your audience is fresh and potentially interested in a word you have to say, rather than after the race when your audience is three exhausted drivers dreaming of champagne and their beds, some officials who would like to just get stuff done already so the TV companies don't moan and some bewildered fans, most of whom have wandered or dozed off already.

Also for instructing FOM to spend more time on him than of anything of interest in the race. Some fleeting in-race glimpses are understandable given celebrity policy, and it wasn't the most eventful race Sochi's had, but doing it this way makes your event look outdated and parochial, rather contradicting the reasons you said you wanted the race in the first place. (A lot of verbiage for someone who was less of a zero than others in the race, but... ...I could do with a good long rant!)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 10:12:58 PM »
Palmer vs Grosjean I put on Grosjean.  Palmer had nowhere to go, and that corner doesn't fit 3 cars, so considering Grosjean was last in line, it's his boo-boo.  I loved his comment suggesting Palmer should have pushed the Sauber out of the way.  Yes, people should crash into one another so you have a free corner.

Well that was it for the action. 

Great race won by Bottas on lap one, turn one.  Those who said it was boring weren't measuring my pulse during the last 10 laps when I was in the edge of my seat watching Vettel squeeze the gap.  I guess if there had been 5 more laps and nobody named Massa in the race, he might have done it.

Glad I could watch this one on fast forward.

Best radio quote - Kimi asking how they ended up behind Bottas after the pit stop.  "He is the race leader, Kimi"

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 12:01:59 AM »
The final dozen or so laps with Vettel running down Bottas was exciting, but after the first lap, nothing happened until that.

I agree, can't blame Polmer, but I doubt without the video review, Grosjean will know that Polmer had someone beside him.  Grosjean would have been wise to brake a bit earlier, but frankly speaking, I think rather than placing blame, it was a racing incident.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 04:25:25 AM »
While I like the end result - what a miserable parade to watch.

I put it almost entirely on the circuit too.  There has not been, nor is there likely to be, an exciting race at this venue.

I don't know that we can blame the venue or even the rules for this boring race.  The cars were spaced out far enough there wasn't any passing opportunities.  Essentially, that's how a car race should be, fastest at the front, slowest at the back.

Hopefully we don't see many more like this. Of course, more races like this will increase calls for the inverted grid, which I personally would like to see.

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 05:44:58 AM »
I doubt without the video review, Grosjean will know that Polmer had someone beside him.  Grosjean would have been wise to brake a bit earlier, but frankly speaking, I think rather than placing blame, it was a racing incident.

Post race Grosjean specifically said that if there was a car on the outside, Palmer should have pushed it wide instead of closing the door on him.  But like I said, the only problem was that the running order through the corner was Sauber, Renault and Haas, so I have no idea why he thinks the corner should have been his.  I only bring it up because Romain was the loudest complainer in the incident...otherwise I would agree, call it a racing incident and get on with it.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Heroes :

Wizzo : Poking ian's bum as a birthday gift, for me that was the highlight of the race  :DD :DD

Bottas : Great first lap, soaked up pressure till the end, and not fluttering under pressure and getting his first win. He also showed the Merc, in a bad day for Lewis, they can count on him to get the maximum for the team.

Ferrari : Keeping Vettel out, made the race worthy of talking a little bit. Had Vettel shadowed Bottas we would had to pick some other part of ian to poke to keep us awake.

Ocon : He has been one of the most consistant driver, and his driving is much mature for a rookie. I hope he can move up the tiers, and does not end up like Nico Hulkenberg.

How do you develop a track that will ensure a lot of overtaking? Wide tracks pops in the mind, but that depends a lot with the car designs, rather than a race track. I remember how Barcelona used to be a stale first corner race, and look at the history of last 3-4 race and how it spiced itself up. I liked the race track, it has a certain rhythm to complete a fast good lap, and punishes you if you do not keep the rhythm as we have seen with Lewis this time. In Monaco its very difficult to overtake, but it has survived and thrived.

But I was disappointed with Mid-Field for not taking initiative to be bold, try to risk a few to gain a lot. Their attitude of staying where we are, and getting on with it made the race look stale in my opinion.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
Too bad I missed chat, I imagine there was plenty of time to gab.  Worked like a madman until 4-ish and then snuck in a 2hr bike ride before sitting on the couch with a beer and my finger on fast forward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle