collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 332
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Russian GP  (Read 8424 times)

Online cosworth151

Re: Russian GP
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
I agree about Grosjean. He proved once again that drivers can't win a race on the first lap but they can certainly loss one that way.

As for Putin, he reminds me of something that Teddy Roosevelt's daughter said about her father. "He wants to be the bride at every wedding, the baby at every christening and the corpse at every funeral."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
Putin's arrival was perfectly timed after 35 dull laps, he shows up on lap 36 with tv directors desperate to show something other than the paint drying on the track. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
A race every bit as terrible as expected. The 'race' was finished as they exited the first corner. Bottas had a good start so he won. Hamilton also had a good start but had to back out to avoid a collision so he stayed forth. Other than that there was really nothing to report. Boring!
Regarding the only other discussion - totally Grossjean's fault. Unfortunately, when things do not go his way, he acts like a spoiled child. He came into the corner too fast, he was on the kerb so he had no control and therefore hit Palmer who had every right to be where he was. It was bad driving which can be forgiven but to then blame Palmer (and even suggest that it was Palmer's responsibility to 'push the Sauber out of the way' - just to make room for Grossjean) was pathetic.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
I'm a Haas fan. I'm really trying to like Grosjean but he doesn't make it easy. I agree, the shunt was all on him. As far as what he said about Palmer shoving the Sauber out of the way: Hey, Romain, when you land in Global Rallycross, tell Scott Speed we all said hi.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online cosworth151

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
The FIA says there was 1 on-track pass for the entire race.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/fia-reports-just-one-overtaking-pass-during-f1-russian-grand-prix-sochi

There weren't any opportunities.  None of the cars were even in DRS range of the car ahead.  The cars qualified in the order of their speed (Bottas excepted apparently), so of course they stayed in order.

Offline Scott

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »
I wonder if it's related to Bottas' first race comments about the cars are unable to get any closer in the sweeping corners when the air has been disturbed (which Sochi has plenty of).  Vettel seemed to stall at 1-1.5sec behind and the couple of times he was able to use DRS in the closing laps, it gave no advantage.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »
Going further, the FIA says they are satisfied with the level of passing and will take no action to try to improve it.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
I wonder if it's related to Bottas' first race comments about the cars are unable to get any closer in the sweeping corners when the air has been disturbed (which Sochi has plenty of).  Vettel seemed to stall at 1-1.5sec behind and the couple of times he was able to use DRS in the closing laps, it gave no advantage.

Sounds like a design problem.  All the cars are designed to be leading the race... since only one car can lead at a time, that leaves 19 cars designed wrong (okay, 17, who knows how the McLarens are designed).  A smart team will design their car to run in 'dirty' air.  Since F1 gives no reward to leading any lap except the last one, designing a car to run in second and then pass for first (but not hold it) would be huge.

Online Dare

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »
Massa let Bottas  pass and held Vettel up long enough to
kill a possible pass number two.Vettel closed the 6 second gap
pretty fast to get within one second and couldn't get the pass
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
Massa let Bottas  pass and held Vettel up long enough to
kill a possible pass number two.Vettel closed the 6 second gap
pretty fast to get within one second and couldn't get the pass

I'm sure Massa did interfere with the end of the race but I also feel he only spoiled the excitement of a real nail biting final run right to the flag. So I think Brawn would like him punished for spoiling his new show. :D

Unless Seb chucked his car up alongside Valteri in one of the last corners, risking his own race finish which was unlikely this early in the season, I don't really see how he was going to pass.

I think Vettel also knew this which is why he was so relaxed about Massa's intervention in the post race interviews - most unlike Seb of old.  ;) 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
The dullest race of the year by a long way.  It was tedious from start to finish and yielded almost nothing in the way of excitement.  The track is just so boring.  If Liberty really wants to undo some of the poor decisions made by Ecclestone, dropping this venue would be a great way to start.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle