collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 509
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Monaco - 2017  (Read 5578 times)

Offline J.Clark

Monaco - 2017
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
No one has posted a preview - I don't have the time.
Here are the Friday Free Practice times, or should say Thursday since it is Monaco:
1. Sebastian Vettel   GER   Ferrari - Ferrari   1m 12.720s
2. Daniel Ricciardo AUS   Red Bull - TAG   1m 13.207s
3. Kimi Raikkonen   FIN   Ferrari - Ferrari   1m 13.283s
4. Daniil Kvyat   RUS   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 13.331s
5. Carlos Sainz   ESP   Toro Rosso-Renault   1m 13.400s
6. Max Verstappen NED   Red Bull - TAG   1m 13.486s
7. Sergio Perez   MEX   Force India-Mercedes   1m 13.799s
8. Lewis Hamilton   GBR   Mercedes - Mercedes   1m 13.873s
9. Kevin Magnussen DEN   Haas-Ferrari   1m 13.890s
10. Valtteri Bottas   FIN   Mercedes - Mercedes   1m 13.902s
11. Stoffel Vandoorne   BEL   McLaren-Honda   1m 13.946s
12. Jenson Button   GBR   McLaren-Honda   1m 13.981s
13. Felipe Massa   BRA   Williams - Mercedes   1m 14.003s
14. Romain Grosjean FRA   Haas-Ferrari   1m 14.022s
15. Esteban Ocon   FRA   Force India-Mercedes   1m 14.093s
16. Lance Stroll   CAN   Williams - Mercedes   1m 14.474s
17. Nico Hulkenberg   GER   Renault - Renault   1m 14.870s
18. Jolyon Palmer   GBR   Renault - Renault   1m 15.616s
19. Marcus Ericsson   SWE   Sauber - Ferrari   1m 15.691s
20. Pascal Wehrlein   GER   Sauber - Ferrari   1m 15.695s

Some interesting results here, none-the-least-of-which is that the Mercs are so far down the sheet.

Both STRs in the top five  :o

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Ian

Re: Monaco - 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
Any bets on 'Sebastian is faster than you.'  ::)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »
I don't know.  Kimi put in quite a lap.  If he gets away clean . . .

Frankly speaking, I would love to see Ricciardo win it since his team basically screwed him out of a certain victory last year.  Of course, that will take a couple of miracles.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
I would give turn one to Kimi, but I suspect there have been some certain instructions in the background, especially considering Vettel is leading the championship that Ferrari haven't had in a decade.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »
Well, Ferrari are most definitely back on form.

Ricciardo did well - a deserved podium, and I so glad he managed to finish ahead of Max.

Hamilton didn't surprise me getting into the points, but getting up to where he finished was a bit of surprise.

Massa did well too, climbing up into a points finish.

The real story for me however, was Haas - both cars finishing in the points!  Amazing result for the young team it was.

What the heck was going through the mind of Perez?  He took himself out of a points paying finish - bit of a bull in a china shop - stupid move at one of the worst places on the circuit.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »
Any bets that Ferrari's pit strategy was in lieu of "Kimi, Seb is faster than you"?
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
Seb was faster but Ferrari could have let Kimi win.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »
Heroes

Raikkonen - for taking Fisico's dubious record for "longest gap between poles" from him on Saturday, then perfectly converting in the race. (Well, it would have been perfect but for the pit stop strategy, which I'm guessing wasn't his idea).

Mercedes - for excellent strategy, that was the main reason Hamilton's suggestion he might as well give up sounded ridiculous.

Alonso - for having the prescience to find a race where the car is reliable for longer, there is more excitement than at Monaco and where he is finally happy again. Also for that nice message to Button before the race started. I hope he does this again next year (whether it's a one-off or if he switches codes on a more substantial basis).

Zeroes

Ericcson - you were nearly pipped to the post on this one, but I have to give "credit" for timing. It's one thing to crash at Ste. Devote - in fact, it's quite common. It's another to do it under the Safety Car. But to do it when being invited to overtake by dawdling drivers? Now that's (presumably temperature-based) ineptitude I've never seen before.

Perez - fastest lap is cool and all, plus I should probably be thankful that you managed to wake my dad and brother up... ...but could you not have done it by way of that dive-bomb into Rascasse? There was only ever going to be one winner of that move and it was never going to be you, especially when apparently starting the move from the previous postcode!

The drain cover people - every time F1 substantially increases its downforce, a manhole cover becomes dislodged at Monte Carlo. How this surprises the people responsible for sticking the covers down never ceases to amaze me. Today was no exception.

Dishonourable mention - most of the field (Ferraris exempt since it's hard to overtake when in a 1-2 situation, as are the Saubers since they appeared to have a valid speed excuse for their lack of overtakes). Yes, it's difficult to overtake at Monaco, but could one of you have managed to overtake someone without a retirement being involved? I nearly put Perez in the "hero" list despite his never-going-to-work-in-a-million-years move because he managed to take advantage of Vandoorne's race-ending error for an overtake, I was that desperate for action. And for 20 laps or so, every single other member of my family was asleep...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:51:23 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 01:07:22 AM »
If Alonso switches to a competitive team[now Wofe says
he's interested in Ferd] you won't see him at Indy again
That is until is F1 career is over. Lazier raced this year
he's 49
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »
If Alonso switches to a competitive team[now Wofe says
he's interested in Ferd] you won't see him at Indy again
That is until is F1 career is over. Lazier raced this year
he's 49

Todt's said he wants calendar harmonisation, and Liberty has said it would prefer drivers not to have to skip F1 races when doing other series as it reduces the media focus on F1. Don't be surprised if Monaco is asked to move to accommodate Indy next year, unless Fernando is in a team that absolutely bars Indy participation (as Mercedes likely would)...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »
I'm not too sure about that. The States are a big market for Mercedes. Merc has a history with Indy (and Penske). IndyCar is actively looking for a third engine manufacturer.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »
I'm not too sure about that. The States are a big market for Mercedes. Merc has a history with Indy (and Penske). IndyCar is actively looking for a third engine manufacturer.

All of these things are true. However, Mercedes is also a top-flight team in F1, and at the moment it doesn't appear to have any plans for an Indycar engine.

If Mercedes joined Indycar, they'd hire different people for the Indycar drivers to the F1 program, because they'd expect their F1 drivers to be too busy securing the F1 title to have time for anything else. So for example, Bottas might be delegated to the Indycar program (to make way for Alonso in F1), but neither Hamilton nor Alonso would be present at Indianapolis in any year they also were in a Mercedes F1.

Further, if Mercedes started now on the Indy engine, it wouldn't be much good for 2018, and that's not their style. More likely, they'd start the project now for 2019.

Also: while Mercedes is interested in Fernando, there's no guarantee of a vacancy, especially if there is any notion that Hamilton-Alonso would be more explosive than Hamilton-Rosberg eventually became. An indicator that Alonso would prefer to be in Indy than Monaco might not be a deal-breaker but it's not going to help either, especially if Mercedes regains its supremacy in the next few months.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »

Indy should take a serious look at partnering with F1.  Scrap the Formula-Dallara and use F1 spec cars/engines.  It would give more customers to F1 suppliers to keep down F1 costs.  The IndyCar season could be run as a sort of American feeder series to F1, but the 500 would remain open to all.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »
That would be a heckuva compromise.  No F1 car could competitively race Indy without a major re-design, and the F1 car manufacturing costs alone are easily 10x that of Indy cars, so I can't imagine anyone in Indycar would be very interested in that kind of invoice.

A Jr series would be a great idea, but Indy would be better off basing their design and manufacturing costs on GP2 type cars.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »

A Jr series would be a great idea, but Indy would be better off basing their design and manufacturing costs on GP2 type cars.

I think you'll find that's F2 type cars now Scott.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle