collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 395
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: I'm In Baku  (Read 18334 times)

Offline Robem64

I'm In Baku
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:15:48 PM »
Evening everyone, I'm here in Baku for the GP. Very busy pit lane walk this evening, I will post some photos up when I can on a later posting. Not sure how good/bad the race might be but the venue is absolutely outstanding and if the atmosphere over the weekend is anything like today then it looks like it will build to a crescendo.

More posts as I get chance over the weekend.

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

Re: I'm In Baku
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
Evening everyone, I'm here in Baku for the GP. Very busy pit lane walk this evening, I will post some photos up when I can on a later posting. Not sure how good/bad the race might be but the venue is absolutely outstanding and if the atmosphere over the weekend is anything like today then it looks like it will build to a crescendo.

More posts as I get chance over the weekend.

Thanks for letting us know.

Make sure you spell GPWizard correctly on your chest when you go streaking on the track in FP3!

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
 :DD :DD. Looking forward to the pictures.  What bleachers are you in?  Hope you have an amazing weekend, and if you manage wifi, drop in on chat for a couple of minutes during the race...always a treat to have a live report.   :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:18:17 PM »
Have a fantastic weekend, Robem64!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 04:01:59 AM »
Well done Rob can we have a weather report?  ;)
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Robem64

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. There's a lot said about whether there should be a race here in Azerbaijan - e.g. dull track, questionable government etc - but my goodness they put on a cracking weekend. The atmosphere yesterday was tremendous and that's before any cars have been on track. The organisation and staffing is second to none and I'm having a great time.

Seems I mislaid the paint for the chestpainting for the FP3 streak!

I'm in Filarmoniya stand which is on the final section of downhill with hard braking before the last right angled corner heading back to the start finish. Unfortunately no wifi (or data roaming as the charges are extortionate) so no in race comments I'm afraid.

Finally the weather is settled and sunny. Possiby a few clouds for FP1 & 2. No sign of any rain all weekend and looks like race day will be the hottest - 30 deg C so track temperature will be much higher.

Will post a few pics from pit lane walk up to the gallery

Rob

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
It sounds like you've got really good seats. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Many say that it's easier to keep up with what's going on in a race by watching it on TV. That said, there is nothing to compare with the experience of actually being there!  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
Seems I mislaid the paint for the chestpainting for the FP3 streak!

No worries, you can always borrow some lipstick.  Red stands out nicely and if you can find a burgundy tone, it actually matches the GPW branding quite well.  ;) ;) :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »
The track width is questionable around the castle, but overall I find it an interesting mix of high and low speed bits. From the results of FP1 & 2, the drivers certainly find it a challenge.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:48 PM »
Thanks Rob have a great time.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 01:23:06 AM »
Lonny

Offline Robem64

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 02:28:55 AM »
It sounds like you've got really good seats. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Many say that it's easier to keep up with what's going on in a race by watching it on TV. That said, there is nothing to compare with the experience of actually being there!  :yahoo:

I certainly wouldn't argue with saying it is easier to follow a race on TV. That said we have a screen right in front of us and the commentary is very clear too. The experience and atmosphere is what we come for too and the fact Alonso broke down in FP2 right in front of us adds to the experience! Poor Fernando, I think I could hear him composing in his head the "I quit" letter right in front of us.

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 03:50:02 AM »
Very jealous that you are there. The track is exceptionally challenging for the pilots as it should be, most of the tracks do not present enough difficulties... just go fast with no extreme worries. More tracks with awkward layouts are needed, separate the sheep from the tigers!
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 04:47:19 AM »
An exciting quali. I'm definitely no LH Fan but he pulled a stunner of a lap out when it mattered most. Pretty close in the rest of the top 10 with good solid performances too from the Force India guys. Stroll deserves a mention as well......strong weekend showing all round from him. Looking forward to the race later. Cloudy start to the morning but destined to be  hot day although will cool off by race time.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »
Lucky you!  I'm very excited for you.  Cos said earlier, the best way to watch a race may be on the tube, but there is absolutely nothing like being there, at any circuit.

I hear the food there is much like that of Turkey.

It is nearly time for the Television coverage of pre-race and then the race.  I guess the pictures will have to wait, but I think you had us all wanting them.

Hoping Lewis mucks up his start so we will not have two races - the Mercs and the rest of the pack.  Ferrari and Red Bull both looked really good all weekend, and Force India is a surprise in the mix up there near the front.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle