collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: I'm In Baku  (Read 18344 times)

Offline Robem64

Re: I'm In Baku
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 09:26:31 PM »
Well all, I'm back at the hotel lobby and got quite a wait for the taxi to the airport for flight back in the early hours.

Wow, what a race - hope it was as good for all on TV as it was here. Outstanding in every way....and as a Ricciardo fan a perfect end to the weekend. I think the only thing the race didn't have was rain - I can tell you it was sweltering and whilst I didn't streak we did get a brief moment on TV waving our Red Bull flag.

Very pleased Alonso got first points of the season for Mclaren too. He's such a great guy and fully gets the fans. When he broke down right in front of us on Friday despite his disappointment he still had a wave and a smile for the crowd. Today after the race end he slowed and weaved right in front of the stands to acknowledge the crowd.

Finally, we heard all the radio playouts - Hamilton is beginning to sound like quite a moaner when anything is not suiting him. Safety car too slow, should be a VSC, questioning the technical safety call re head restraint, wanting a different way to restart after red flag. Just get on with it man - you don't get special treatment!

Baku truly dispelled it's "boring" race label from last year.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 06:05:22 AM »
Fantastic you had such a good time.  When you are home and rested, tell us about the rest of the weekend.  What other races did they have?  How was the food?  Any hassles and highlights...and upload a few pictures.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
You definitely had a great race for your first trip! 

Like Scott said, we're looking forward to your stories (once you've had a little time to recover  ;)  )
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
Not my first trip (done Austin in 2015 and Malaysia last year) but my first trip to Azerbaijan. Got back home a couple of hours ago, need a day or so to recover and sort out photos.

I'll post my thoughts too in the next couple of days - highs and lows. Off to Austin (again) in October and Abu Dhabi too for last race - hope it's a nailbiter!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 01:08:18 AM »
Not my first trip (done Austin in 2015 and Malaysia last year) but my first trip to Azerbaijan. Got back home a couple of hours ago, need a day or so to recover and sort out photos.

I'll post my thoughts too in the next couple of days - highs and lows. Off to Austin (again) in October and Abu Dhabi too for last race - hope it's a nailbiter!

Glad you enjoyed your trip Rob would recommend Baku and if so where is a good place to view it from?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Robem64

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
Hectic week back at work so only now time to reflect on last weekend and our trip to Baku.
Baku is a fabulous city - friendly people, spotlessly clean and well maintained and plenty to look at outside of the F1. The old and new city offer an interesting blend. Prices are reasonable as the exchange rate to both the GBP and USD were excellent. Meant the food etc at track was reasonable and in all fairness there was a great selection of food and the quality was good too. Ranging from the typical fast food through to healthy options, salads, juice bars and quality coffee too. There was also lots to do as well....funfair rides a plenty, loads of free entertainment ranging from dance groups to stunt BMX riders etc etc. Really kept you entertained throughout. The weather was outstanding too which helps.

The pitlane walk on Thursday evening was excellent although exceptionally busy and we were in the queue for around 90 mins prior to letting every one in. A stroll along the start finish line and grid and then double back for a walk down the pit lane with many of the teams being very accommodating - many took kids past the barriers to get a picture next to the cars. Excellent for the fans and great atmosphere too. The support racing was Formula 2 only - I'll be honest, it's not something that interests me so I gave these a miss and used the short time we had there to explore a little more of Baku.

I had tickets for race day in the Filarmoniya stand which was kind of stand alone with it's own security entrance. Now this is where the immaturity of the staff and "circuit" shows as the organisation was lacking a little. For example, every other day we'd brought our own water in past security with no issue. Race day we were told it had to be thrown away - the craziness of this being even if we'd brought it five mins previously on the other side of the track they would still make you throw it away. The worst part though in this stand was the toilet facilities - four chemical toilets but none had water for hand washing. They really need to sort that out in future years and also be consistent in security rules and checks.

Having said all that I do get that there's far more to organise and sort when it's a temp track as opposed to a permanent facility.

I loved my time in Azerbaijan and I was so pleased it offered such a great race and spectacle this year. It's a place I would most definitely return to for racing although I'd make sure I went in a stand in the main complex next time.

I'll post a few pics in the gallery which you should be able to see when approved

Rob

Offline Andy B

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
Thanks for that Rob.  :good:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle