collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 169
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11271 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercs  (Read 5737 times)

Offline J.Clark

Mercs
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
It seems there is a big shake up coming for Mercedes.
There is old money leaving and new money coming in.
What could it all mean?

https://www.facebook.com/formula1insider/videos/1701779433449077/

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Irisado

Re: Mercs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
Eddie Jordan is predicting that Mercedes will be sold in the coming years, as the board is looking for a way out in the near future.  Based on rumours of a sponsorship shortfall, because of Petronas withdrawing at the end of the season, this may well be true.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
I can understand teams getting out if things are tough, but if a 'successful' team pulls out, it's going to be tough to find others to invest in the sport.

I honestly think that when Renault pulled out in the 90s it really put the sport into a tail spin that it really hasn't corrected from.  (Certainly Renault didn't cause it, but rather their reasons for pulling out have never been truly addressed)

Offline Philbe

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:58:21 PM »
I just wonder if there happens to be a world upturn in oil prices and Patronas can afford to stay in the game, will the Malaysia race stay on the calendar. But, it's not looking good.
I don't think AMG  will have a problem finding a title sponsor. Mercedes/AstonMartin sounds nice.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
If Red Bull can sponsor a team why not Coke or Pepsi?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Philbe

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »
So Petronas puts about 40 million into MERCAMG. They claim it has payed off over the years. Your suggestion of USA soft drink companies sponsoring a F1 team got me googling. Coke has it's name all over nascar, NCAA, American Idol and the olympics. Pepsi is kind of the same. Exposure from F1 would be a drop in the bucket for Coke compared to Nascar.
So, who could/would have about 30million euro to partner with Merc.
 Interesting,

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:30:51 PM »
Red Bull was in Indycar and NASCAR so why can't Coke to a little
friendly competition and advertise in F1. By the way Danny did
some great acting today...he drank a RB ina interview with that
big smile on his face.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »
So Petronas puts about 40 million into MERCAMG. They claim it has payed off over the years. 

That's probably true as Petronas weren't novice sponsors when they teamed up with Merc, they had previously sponsored both cars and engines(Ferrari's badge engineered under contract) for Sauber, plus they continued as sponsors when BMW took over until the manufacturer suddenly pulled out of F1 in 2008/9.

I'm sure I recall talk of some sort of a lubricants tie up with Merc vehicles division worldwide when the sponsorship was first announced back in 2010. Major motor manufacturers do have other things to offer auto related sponsors who are willing to flatter a Formula 1 team's budget with big bucks, especially if it's the chairman or CEO's vanity project.  :D   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »
Coca-Cola is an interesting idea.  I think that they would be more inclined to get into Formula 1 if it was more easily recognized in the US, which is their largest market (I believe).  With Haas making it in with some success, and with racing back in Mexico along with the US and Canada, the American market is likely seeing more F1 than in the years preceding.

NASCAR is falling a bit in popularity in my opinion so Coke may be looking for other "billboards" on which to place their name.

With regard to Red Bull - they are sponsors in almost any and everything to do with any sort of sports whether motors are involved or not.  Frankly, I don't know how they can spread themselves out so widely.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:21 AM »
What's the TV coverage like in the US and Canada as I think that is the telling point as to how popular its becoming?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 04:41:16 AM »
Of all the people I know not one person ever
mentions F1. Since MS is gone I bey not many
Americans can even name 2 F1 drivers.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 06:21:13 AM »
NBC covers it pretty well. If you have the app or the ROKU channel you can watch all 3 practices, qualifying, and the race live or replay stream. Live on NBCsn they usually show FP-2, qually, and the race live. NBC's broadcast channel shows a few races like Canada and the US live. I like Hobbs, Matchett, and Diffey and they have a pre-race show. That said, all forms of racing in the US are declining in popularity. We don't seem to have captured the interest of the so called millennials. Plus ticket prices are way too high. Promoters don't seem to realize it's better to sell 100 tickets at $30 each that 50 tickets at $50 each. PIR installed bleachers along the backstretch when NASCAR first came to Phoenix, but they've removed them now so TV doesn't show all those empty seats.  Even the NHRA doesn't pack 'em in the way they did 4-5 years ago and they are the most spectator friendly races I've ever been to.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
That's interesting Ik that support for motorsport is in the decline which is why the Malaysian GP is stopping  a year early and when you see the empty stands in China it makes you wonder if they will survive? There's talk of Turkey coming back on the calendar but they always had empty stands so unless they are going to reduce the entrance charge it'll not improve.

What's all this got to do with this thread?
Its all part of the advertising which is the only reason they enter into the sport but then what is the value of an F1 team and who can afford to buy one?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »
The lower number of people buying tickets is reflected in lower TV ratings as well. Lower ratings, lower attendance mean less advertizing value to people like Petronas.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
As far as advertising F1 still probably reaches more fans
worldwide for any sporting event. Don't know what would be
second.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle