collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 338
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercs  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Mercs
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
If the tickets are overpriced, it shouldn't affect the fan base, just more are at home watching on TV.  As for filling the tracks, it is obviously a trickle down issue.  The local promoter/venue raises most of its money from ticket sales to offset what they have to pay FOM for the privilege of hosting a race.  That's a pretty skinny margin.  If the FOM adjusted their fees, then the local promoter would be able to lower the tickets to attract more locals.    Maybe that would have no effect on China and Turkey, but maybe it would.

I think lower TV ratings is simply that in many markets it is getting more difficult or more expensive to find it live on TV.  FOM is selling rights to more pay channels like Sky, and many of us have no interest in buying a pay TV package that has nothing of interest for us other than F1.  I will watch Youtube highlights before I pay for an otherwise useless cable package.  When we move in the fall, we have all agreed that we will simply have internet TV and use Youtube and Netflix and see how that goes.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
That's also part of the problem with NASCAR & NHRA drag racing here in the State. NHRA moved from ESPN, which is on almost every basic cable package, to Fox Sports 1 & 2. They are usually available only on higher priced packages. I haven't seen an NHRA race since they switched.

Likewise, many NASCAR races are now on FS1 & 2. NASCAR has also added so many gimmicks to their series that they've driven away many long time fans (like me). The Race to the Chase to the Cup for the Thing (as John Hindhaugh calls it) has made the regular season races pointless. Now, they throw out a caution for no reason several times a race to "make it more interesting." Many fans have just given up on the whole mess.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
As far as advertising F1 still probably reaches more fans
worldwide for any sporting event. Don't know what would be second.

I think you'll find Football (Soccer to you yanks) is miles ahead of F1 reaching fans worldwide Dare. Take just the English Premier league for example, which is the top rated by TV viewing in the world, and they have a reputed audience of 4 billion - yup 4 billion!  :o 

A study in the Times has revealed that less than a third of players who started in the Premier League at the weekend were English, "fuelling the FA’s concerns about a lack of opportunities for home-grown youngsters."

But the flip side to the debate is that the Premier League’s international popularity and profile is greater than ever before, with players of 64 nationalities now represented in England’s top flight for 2015-16 and with TV audiences of more than four billion fans watching per weekend.

The Premier League is now a truly global competition, in terms of player nationality, manager nationality, club ownership, sponsorship, TV rights and official team fan clubs around the world, as highlighted in a new in-depth study by Ticketbis.net.
Courtesy Eurosport.co.uk.

By comparison F1 pulls in over 400 million.

Official figures from Formula One Management indicate television audiences fell to above 400 million last year, further illustrating the sport’s declining popularity.

The new data means F1 has lost one-third of its worldwide audience since 2008 – around 200 million viewers. How many of those are now watching the sport via other means, legal or not, is unclear. The sport has drawn criticism for moving away from free-to-air broadcasts in favour of pay television deals.
Courtesy Keith Collantine F1fantic.co.uk 20th April 2016

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/04/20/f1-has-lost-one-third-of-its-tv-audience-since-2008/
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:55 PM »
I wonder  how many people streaming F1 are included in the TV numbers or if at all?
I don't know about others on here but its only since I became semi retired and then fully retired that I have been able to go to races around once a year but there has to be some value for money and Monaco I believe does not give that due to cost and limited views.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:47 AM »
Monaco used to be a great race, but modern aero dependant race cars and changes to the track have pretty well killed that. It survives on glamour and memories.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
I honestly think that when Renault pulled out in the 90s it really put the sport into a tail spin that it really hasn't corrected from.  (Certainly Renault didn't cause it, but rather their reasons for pulling out have never been truly addressed)

I'm confused.  Renault didn't have a team in the 1990s.  Are you referring to when they pulled out as an engine supplier at the end of 1997?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 03:23:50 PM »
I honestly think that when Renault pulled out in the 90s it really put the sport into a tail spin that it really hasn't corrected from.  (Certainly Renault didn't cause it, but rather their reasons for pulling out have never been truly addressed)

I'm confused.  Renault didn't have a team in the 1990s.  Are you referring to when they pulled out as an engine supplier at the end of 1997?

Yes, I am

Offline Irisado

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

How did Renault's withdrawal send Formula 1 into a tailspin?  They came back as an engine supplier in 2001 and a team the year after, so they were not absent for long and continued to supply teams with Mechachrome and Supertec customer engines.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 01:37:42 AM »
Canadian F1 coverage is tucked away at 8 am on one of dozens of sports channels with no advertizing or significant coverage/promotion.  Even the Canadian GP comes and goes without a blip outside of Montreal.  There is no Canadian produced coverage at all.  When I started watch F1 in the 90s it was presented on CBC:  i.e., free over the air.  When Villeneuve became involved the rights were bought by a cable channel which used to produce their own pre race show (it was pretty bad, except for segments with Gerald Donaldson, but it was something).

With that said, IndyCar is in a much more sorry state in Canada.  We just had the Toronto Indy yesterday and... I forgot about it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
NASCAR is in even worse shape here in the States. One of the major broadcast networks, NBC, has the rights to the series for the 2nd half of the season. Of 14 remaining races, only 4 will be on the broadcast network. The rest will be on their 2nd tier cable channel. The Kentucky race a couple of weeks ago was a prime time Saturday night race. It was bumped to cable. The broadcast network had on a children's amateur talent contest.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

How did Renault's withdrawal send Formula 1 into a tailspin?  They came back as an engine supplier in 2001 and a team the year after, so they were not absent for long and continued to supply teams with Mechachrome and Supertec customer engines.

Renault left the sport because the return on investment was shrinking.  They only returned once F1 had put in 'cost cutting' measures.  The cost cutting measures are intended to allow smaller teams to compete with bigger ones by preventing the big teams unlimited testing and unlimited R&D.

I think the gap between 'big' and 'small' teams is the biggest it's been since Concorde required only 'serious' F1 teams compete.

I think that lack of R&D, the lack of opportunity for weaker teams to get better without simply spending an insane amount of money.  They're not new problems, but enough people who would invest in F1 are aware of them that it's hard to find anyone willing to invest.  If Mercedes is winning and not getting anything out of it, and Petronas has their name on the winning car and isn't getting anything out of it... surely other investors/advertisers will come to the same conclusion.

I'd love to see the sport be dominated by privateers who love autoracing, but for every Williams and Brawn, we get Mallya and Branson who just can't help slapping their brand on anything 'glamorous'. 

Offline Irisado

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »
I agree with all of that, except that Renault isn't responsible for the mess that Formula 1 finds itself as a result of manufacturer dominance.  The manufacturers collectively are responsible for this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle