collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 595
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber has a point  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Scott

Webber has a point
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »
Maybe someone can talk some sense into the rules makers (I would say FIA, but I think the FOM and Liberty have some persuasion rights as well, since they own the show).  Maybe Webber is the guy to do it.  I completely agree with him.  Time to separate driver penalties from team penalties...and yeah, I know there is no 'I' in team  ;)

I think you would find a team far more motivated to make improvements when they see their drivers are in the top 5, while the team languishes in last place due to constructor points penalties.  I know it gets complicated when it turns out to be a supplier, but I still think the team should be docked for choosing that supplier.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130559/webber-wants-component-change-penalties-ended

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

Re: Webber has a point
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
I agree with Mark on this one. Drivers & constructors have separate championships. Let the penalties be assessed to the appropriate one.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 02:34:15 AM »

It all seems well and good from a drivers point of view which is the one Mark is looking from, however mechanical failures have always factored in F1 results for both drivers and teams and that is what we are talking about here.

I'll concede that the grid drops are much too large and there should be a maximum set for any one race, say between 3 and 8 places.

The idea that grid drops or even a points drop is going to aid cost control by stopping teams using more engine components - or even more engines - than the rules allow is just plain daft. After all the FIA claims that's the aim of this penalty mechanism, fat lot they've ever achieved on cost control.  ::)

What choice do teams have either they run incomplete or damaged power units or gearboxes and maybe don't finish, in or out of the points; or they use new penalty laden swaps which also makes scoring points nearly impossible.

Mind you when drivers do what Vettel did in Baku and take a penalty it also impacts the team's points haul, so I'm still in the 'win together lose together' camp I'm afraid.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:14:01 PM »
Mechanical failures have always been factored into the race RESULT, but not into the penalties.  Simply applying a reasonable maximum as you suggest is far better than what they have now, which have basically turned into jokes for the likes of Mclaren and some others later in the season.  That bit is new since the FIA cranked up its money saving rules (which like you, I would argue have cost teams more than before).

As for separating driver penalties from the teams ranking, I would say for infractions like Vettel's in Baku, they would be better to dock WDC points from a driver for such an infraction as opposed to penalizing the team with a grid penalty. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle