collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 330
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Dr Who  (Read 12515 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Dr Who
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 07:00:45 AM »
If Bond had been portrayed more closely to the original Fleming concept, I would agree he should remain male. But the movies are more like live action video games. In that context, I don't think his gender makes a bit of difference.

I agree.  The movies are fluff and the JB character is simply a tool to take the audience from one ridiculous stunt to the next.  Could be either gender.  Don't get me wrong, I like Bond movies, but it is more as a stress reliever.  I don't look forward to them like I do a Star Wars or a new Despicable Me  ;) :D :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
If Bond had been portrayed more closely to the original Fleming concept, I would agree he should remain male. But the movies are more like live action video games. In that context, I don't think his gender makes a bit of difference.

I agree.  The movies are fluff and the JB character is simply a tool to take the audience from one ridiculous stunt to the next.  Could be either gender.  Don't get me wrong, I like Bond movies, but it is more as a stress reliever.  I don't look forward to them like I do a Star Wars or a new Despicable Me  ;) :D :D

I'm not a Star Wars fan especially after the last one which to me was was a re-hash make of an earlier one and I've not seen them all and doubt I ever will I even had to look up Despicable Me!
You could no more cast Bond as a woman as you could Sherlock Holmes they are both blokes end of!  ;)
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Dare

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »

I'm not a Star Wars fan especially after the last one which to me was was a re-hash make of an earlier one and I've not seen them all and doubt I ever will I even had to look up Despicable Me!
You could no more cast Bond as a woman as you could Sherlock Holmes they are both blokes end of!  ;)

Shirley Holmes and Dr Joanne Watson just might work....nah
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »

Shirley Holmes and Dr Joanne Watson just might work....nah

We already have a Dr Joan Watson played by Lucy Liu in Elementary. Based in New York with Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock, I was really sceptical but it works well and is one of my favourite TV shows.

Online Dare

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »
Never watched it Chris...might have to give it a view. I
liked Lucy in Kilii Bill
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 01:45:25 PM »
The one thing about having a female Dr Who that is wrong is that Dr Who has always been a time LORD, a time LADY has never been mentioned.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
The one thing about having a female Dr Who that is wrong is that Dr Who has always been a time LORD, a time LADY has never been mentioned.

'Time Lord' isn't a title, but a race.  Just like man and woman are both human, a male and female Dr Who would still be Time Lords.

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
I know Jeri, was just saying that time ladies have never been mentioned.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:31 PM »

The canon is murky to be sure, but there is an episode titled 'The Doctor's Daughter'.  While it's not clear if Jenny truly is the Dr's daughter or not, it is clear she's a Time Lord.  (It's not indicated if she's a noble, so no idea if she's a Time Lord Lady, or just a lady Time Lord.)

Online Dare

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
If they hadn't made Dr Who a female we wouldn't have had
Ian all upset. Some things you just can't take when you get
on in years.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »

'Time Lord' isn't a title, but a race.  Just like man and woman are both human, a male and female Dr Who would still be Time Lords.

Is that right? The Dr comes from Gallifrey so surely he's a Gallifriean just as we are Earthlings all in a galaxy sense of course!  :D
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
You guys are going to make me go extreme geek now.....

Time Lords are a species, the most famous of which come from Gallifrey. However not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords, and not all Time Lords are Gallifreyan.

Time Lords are made up of Time Lords and Time Ladies. Think dogs. As a species all dogs are dogs regardless of their gender. The male dog is also a dog whereas the female has a different name i.e. a b*tch.

In the dim distant past, there were some references to Time Ladies. William Hartnell travelled with his granddaughter Susan. She was referred to as a Time Lady.

The Time Lord high council also call their members Lords and Ladies. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »

Female Time Lords have been mentioned in several episodes of Classic Who (as well as the Sisterhood of Khan being entirely composed of them, and the companion Romana (as well as, possibly, Susan) being a Time Lady). Female Time Lords have also been shown in multiple episodes of "New Who", notably including the Master. That master villain is known as a Time Lord regardless of whether male or female in a particular regeneration. "New Who" has never described anyone as a "Time Lady" verbally, but I think there's been at least one mention of "ladies and gentlemen" in a New Who meeting of Time Lords. Classic Who definitely preferred calling all-female Time Lord groups "Time Ladies" except when some other title made more sense in context (such as the aforementioned Sisterhood of Khan). My understanding is that "Time Lord" is the only correct term if the emphasis is on the perceived role in the galaxy (for example, when the species refers to itself in its image) and "Time Lord/Lady" is used when emphasising the individual's title. This is because in English, "lord" and "lady" are titles that, to be correct, must be applied exclusively to men and women respectively, but the Time Lords' orthodox view of themselves is of exercising temporal lordship. "Temporal ladyship" would express something else entirely*, that wasn't really in the Time Lords' self-concept (even that of its female members).

* - Given their propensity for making their corner of the universe more medieval than strictly necessary, it would probably be a lot more domestic and rather less violent.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Dare

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 03:45:02 AM »
Think I'll stick to Star Trek...it's a lot less confusing...as long as
you watch the original and not the new Star Trek movies that don't
follow cannon. What the heck they are pretty good.

Now Star Wars is another matter...I never could get into it

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »
I like them all, Dr Who, Star Trek, Star Wars....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle