collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 509
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Halo for 2018  (Read 7804 times)

Offline Scott

Halo for 2018
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »
So it is...the Halo will be standard on all cars starting in 2018.  I know there are some fence sitters and some completely opposed.  I think they should give it a go and see how it really affects the drivers.  I like it better than the windshield anyhow.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/halo-protection-system-to-be-introduced-for-2018.html

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: Halo for 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »
And just last week we were reading that they were going with the windshield.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »
Vettel reported that the distortions in the windshield made him dizzy. Not sure if I'll watch Rollcage  F1.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:45:40 PM »
I have to agree its a little nanny state as most of the drivers will not want it and if you look at the likes of Senna and Henry Surtees Halo would not have changed those events.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »
Despite a vote from the teams with a majority against, the FIA forced it through. 

I thought the shield would at least get an opportunity to be improved to see if they could solve the issues Vettel experienced.

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 11:35:50 PM »
I have to agree its a little nanny state as most of the drivers will not want it and if you look at the likes of Senna and Henry Surtees Halo would not have changed those events.

Is that so for Senna? You'd imagine that driver
survival from a replication of his accident would be an essential part of any simulation work.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:26:03 AM »
Last I heard, the FIA was trying to claim Halo had zero bounce-in. This is physically impossible, unless they are suggesting that Halo has no inner surface whatsoever. That attempt to over-claim Halo's safety has left me utterly unconvinced as to the safety element of Halo (what else have they hidden from us?)

The trouble is that the FIA artificially committed to having head protection by 2018 on the basis of flawed research, and by this point they're already three weeks late on the deadline for deciding what that head protection method would be. Now they are effectively forcing themselves to implement the item that will reduce safety least. This is also why even having 10 teams rejecting Halo, Shield and Aeroscreen would not have changed the outcome. I hope nobody gets injured by this farce before Halo is either removed or sufficiently improved to no longer be more dangerous than having no head protection.

Halo is supposed to change the Surtees event, as the one possibly-reliable safety assurance from the FIA is that something of that size would bounce off the rails. That's the only F1 crash this century where Halo is expected to have resulted in better safety.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 01:13:41 AM »
In Econ 101 they taught us The Law of Diminishing Returns. It would seem to apply here. Each safety mandate of recent memory is designed to mitigate a smaller and smaller group of threats. When does the cure become worse than the disease? No amount of safety mandates will make racing 100% safe.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »

survival from a replication of his accident would be an essential part of any simulation work.

Senna was hit in the forehead by the wishbone which had broken away with the wheel so there is no guarantee that Halo would have stopped that happening and for Henry Surtees I was watching the race on TV live when it happened and an accident happened where a wheel broke away and went high in the air Henry came round the corner and the spinning wheel came down from directly above him so I doubt he would have seen it coming. I expect the spinning wheel made contact with the top of his helmet jarring his head and probably breaking his neck as he continued on with no abatement of speed going straight into the crash barrier without attempting to take the turn.
So there is guarantee that Halo is a magic bullet and possibly not stop another event. My opinion is that the driver should have the option as whether they use it or not and sign a disclaimer to that affect.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »

Senna was hit in the forehead by the wishbone which had broken away with the wheel so there is no guarantee that Halo would have stopped that happening and for Henry Surtees I was watching the race on TV live when it happened and an accident happened where a wheel broke away and went high in the air Henry came round the corner and the spinning wheel came down from directly above him so I doubt he would have seen it coming. I expect the spinning wheel made contact with the top of his helmet jarring his head and probably breaking his neck as he continued on with no abatement of speed going straight into the crash barrier without attempting to take the turn.
So there is guarantee that Halo is a magic bullet and possibly not stop another event. My opinion is that the driver should have the option as whether they use it or not and sign a disclaimer to that affect.

The driver would never get the option. If it was even slightly optional, every team would insist on not carrying it, as it's nigh-on impossible to equalise ballast in that area safely, and having no compensation would make the car better-performing. The teams might pretend that their driver didn't want Halo, but in reality that would be because of performance benefits, not the matter of conscience/risk management that such a safety discussion should be.

Also, if it was optional, the FIA wouldn't have been able to exercise its right to deploy the Halo, as 9 out of the 10 teams were against putting on any safety device at this time. (The FIA referred to a unanimous vote this time last year in its statement; that was to the notion of having some sort of head protection in 2018. However, that assumed that by then, one of the options would have proven to be safer than doing nothing, which as far as I am aware is yet to happen despite the FIA's claims).

The way you describe Henry Surtees' accident, Halo would have prevented it. The wheel would have bounced off the top regardless of whether Henry had known it was there or not, which would have turned a fatal accident into a fairly minor one. The whole at the top is designed to be too small for a wheel (even with a deflated tyre) to pass through.

Senna's accident is a classic case of debris strike. The FIA claims Halo brings a 16% reduction in small-sized debris strike (the simulated pieces were of varying sizes, but I'm not sure they went up to the size of or simulated the entire physics of a wishbone), but they also claimed 0% in-bounce, which is impossible in Newtonian physics. So the real benefit is definitely less. If the FIA felt the need to be economical with the truth here, I can't rule out the possibility of the true debris "benefit" being a minus (that is to say, more harmful in-bounce than beneficial out-bounce) - and it's not clear anyone knows how a wishbone or a Massa-type spring would be processed by the device.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »
The way I understood what happened to Senna, the wheel and wishbone were still joined together.

I know they fitted tethers which in most cases stop the wheel becoming detached from the car, but it has happened on occasions since.

I imagined the strike point of the front of the halo would take account for the wishbone still being attached when the wheel hits it and make sure it stayed clear of the driver.

Perhaps I am too optimistic about such things!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
It might well have saved Jules Bianchi. Cevert, Koinigg and others might have lived to race another day.

Seat belts, Armco barriers and even helmets were initially decried as excessive. It was said that they wouldn't save everybody in every situation. The point is, will they save some drivers. No safety measure will ever be perfect. I think this one will be an improvement.

I remember how much stick Jackie Stewart got for trying to introduce safety measures to F1. Today, we couldn't imagine the sport without them.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
In Econ 101 they taught us The Law of Diminishing Returns. It would seem to apply here. Each safety mandate of recent memory is designed to mitigate a smaller and smaller group of threats. When does the cure become worse than the disease? No amount of safety mandates will make racing 100% safe.

Drone F1 cars.

I'm not advocating them per se, but it would be a hell of a lot safer if the car wasn't loaded down with ways to keep drivers safe.  The cars would be faster, they would be far more fuel efficient, and the risk would transfer mostly to the course workers and pit crew.  The FIA can make the cars 'easy' or 'difficult' to drive simply by deciding which systems can be automated and which ones are 100% under driver (remote) control.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
That would drastically change the sport. I can tell you from personal experience, driving an RC car is very different from actually sitting in a car and driving it.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
That would drastically change the sport. I can tell you from personal experience, driving an RC car is very different from actually sitting in a car and driving it.

In this fake future I've made up, the 'drivers' would sit in a simulator, not use a little control box.

You're right, it's still not the same (I'm the worst video game driver, but I'm very safe on the road).  I'm just discussing ways to make the sport safer, not 'better'. 

Although, if the simulators are lined up side by side, the drivers could get into a really good fight after a crash...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle