collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 274
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Halo for 2018  (Read 7889 times)

Offline ChrisCurtis

Re: Halo for 2018
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 08:55:24 PM »
Going off topic here, but there is an unmanned race car series on the horizon. I think the cars run off AI, they had the car (if that's what it's called) briefly on Top Gear.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »
Just when I thought driverless cars were the stupidest idea possible, they come up with driverless race cars.  :sick:

Seriously, without a driver in the car, there is no way it could legitimately be called a sport. How often have we talked about the need to bring back more driver input in the races? Without drivers, the whole thing is pointless.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
Just when I thought driverless cars were the stupidest idea possible, they come up with driverless race cars.  :sick:

Seriously, without a driver in the car, there is no way it could legitimately be called a sport. How often have we talked about the need to bring back more driver input in the races? Without drivers, the whole thing is pointless.

I don't see it as a replacement for F1, but personally, I'd find it fascinating.  A showdown between mechanical, electrical and computer engineering all in one package.  Throw in a robo-pit crew for changing tires and repairing damaged bodywork.

Calling it a 'sport' would certainly push the definition of what 'sport' is.  However, camel racing has already moved on from human jockeys to robo-jockeys.  I don't follow the sport closely (indeed, at all), but that's something that robo-autoracing could at least look at.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
We have already been pretty close to this with the cars that had computer suspension giving ride height control they changed gear at the right time and even braking so the driver was left to steer and they thought then that they could do it without the driver!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 05:00:34 PM »
Alex Wirz, Chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers Association & former F1 driver, likes them.

“With regards to the introduction of additional head protection, as stated various times, us drivers respect the FIA's stand on safety and support their ongoing quest to make racing safer.

“Over recent decades, we have seen increasing speeds and ever faster lap times, and this ultimate racing quest is solely possible due to increasing safety. Equally, over the same period of time we have seen an increase in popularity of our sport.

“F1 is a role model for ever-increasing safety without jeopardizing performance. While the Halo solution might not be the most aesthetically pleasing for everyone, us drivers will nevertheless race and push as hard as we can on track, which is the key for F1 to continue its growth and popularity.”

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »
Alex Wirz, Chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers Association & former F1 driver, likes them.

“With regards to the introduction of additional head protection, as stated various times, us drivers respect the FIA's stand on safety and support their ongoing quest to make racing safer.

“Over recent decades, we have seen increasing speeds and ever faster lap times, and this ultimate racing quest is solely possible due to increasing safety. Equally, over the same period of time we have seen an increase in popularity of our sport.

“F1 is a role model for ever-increasing safety without jeopardizing performance. While the Halo solution might not be the most aesthetically pleasing for everyone, us drivers will nevertheless race and push as hard as we can on track, which is the key for F1 to continue its growth and popularity.”

A very good way to put things into context.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »
During NBC's FP2 broadcast from the Hungaroring, they talked about the FIA wanting to have the halo filter down through the lower series. No surprise but the first time I've heard it said.
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 03:05:25 PM »
During NBC's FP2 broadcast from the Hungaroring, they talked about the FIA wanting to have the halo filter down through the lower series. No surprise but the first time I've heard it said.

If it's good enough to protect the multimillionaire drivers with massive insurance polices, it's good enough to protect the kids who are going to need to get real jobs for the rest of their lives.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 02:08:51 PM »
Each team will be able to design their own halo. It will be interesting to see what the teams can come up with. I wonder what the FIA will do when Adrian Newey figures out how to use it to generate downforce.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »
Each team will be able to design their own halo. It will be interesting to see what the teams can come up with. I wonder what the FIA will do when Adrian Newey figures out how to use it to generate downforce.
No kidding... :DD

Why on earth would they allow that?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle