collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 358
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Second seat at Mercedes?  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Jericoke

Second seat at Mercedes?
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »
With the Ferrari pair under contract, as well as RBR and Hamilton, the most desirable race seat for 2018 would seem to be Hamilton's partner at Mercedes.

I think that Bottas has more than proven he has the talent to be a winner and the temperament to be Hamilton's teammate and should be a lock for the spot. 

However, both Alonso and Verstappen have said they're unhappy with their current teams and want to go somewhere more reliable.  If they're serious with their threat, I can't see them swapping seats if they're leaving for the same reason.  To me that means they're both angling for the open seat at Mercedes.

There seems to be a consensus that Alonso is still one of the best, and would be a WDC in a better car.  There's also plenty of talk of Max being a future champion.  That would give Mercedes plenty of options. If I were Mercedes, I'd use this logjam to see who wants it the most:  put out a lowball offer.  I don't think that picking any of the three would be 'wrong', so why not take the most affordable option?

Offline Scott

Re: Second seat at Mercedes?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »
I like what you said in chat Jeri, (slightly paraphrased) if I was a driver looking for the best drive next year, I would look at whatever team Alonso was leaving.  If Alonso leaves, Mclaren will be a winner in the next couple of years.   :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:49:49 AM »
Maybe karma is paying Alonso back for that Singapore
win he didn't deserve. Karma is paying Mav back for being a jerk
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:02:28 AM »
Karma is paying Max back

That's my guess too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:05:22 AM by Scott »

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »
Can't see Merc changing anything for next season, Bottas has done enough to keep his seat.

I've heard Williams is making a big time play for Alonso next term.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
I think Merc will keep Bottas, too. It looks like a textbook case of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Alonso made a radio call during yesterday's race. "There's only one car out here I can pass. I'll do it, but it won't change my life." I really can't see him staying at Merc next year. If I were to predict which team he will end up with next season, my guess  would be Williams or Andretti. Andretti's loss of Sato to Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan for next season makes them even more likely to want Alonso.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Mollie

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
Maybe karma is paying Alonso back for that Singapore
win he didn't deserve. Karma is paying Mav back for being a jerk

I tend to disagree...i think he did deserve that Singapore win. Maybe karma is paying Alonso back, however it's not cause of the Singapore win  :P

Online Dare

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:43:22 PM »
Piquet crashing on purpose is pushing team order
to the extreme. No matter how he portrays himself now
he's still the put yourself number one he has alway been
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:47:24 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
That order came from Flavio Briatore, not Alonso.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »
That order came from Flavio Briatore, not Alonso.

I don't recall Alonso saying I can't be a part of this
it's unsporting. What I do remember is the look on
Piquet's face....and it wasn't a happy face.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 05:45:34 AM »
One thing with all the contracts getting tied up is where will crybaby Max go?  With the doors closed at Merc and Ferrari, and Alonso clambering for a good drive next year, Horner likely won't put up with Max's threats to leave very much longer.  He'll be telling him to move on and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 01:59:50 PM »
One thing with all the contracts getting tied up is where will crybaby Max go?  With the doors closed at Merc and Ferrari, and Alonso clambering for a good drive next year, Horner likely won't put up with Max's threats to leave very much longer.  He'll be telling him to move on and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
[/q

Maybe Max has never heard the saying don't burn
your bridges. While he's having a run of bad luck
it's still one of the best rides. Maybe he'd best start
buying his mechanics presents just in case he p*ssed
one off in the past

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »

RBR likes to hire from within their driver training programme, mostly to prove it works I suppose.  IS there another Red Bull driver ready to replace Max?  By now I think it's safe to say that Max is outdriving Kvyat, and I'm not especially impressed by Sainz.

Maybe Max has Marko over a barrel, which ties Horner's hands.  Still not sure what he gains by whining about it though.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
In the history of F1, there has been a number of driver pairings where one driver DNFs far more than the other. Is it always just down to luck? Maybe Max's more aggressive style somehow puts just enough extra strain on the car to break it?
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 04:44:37 PM »
Max needs to treat his car with the same respect he
 shows the other drivers

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle