collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 333
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Monza:summers end  (Read 10550 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Monza:summers end
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
Weather was a bit better when we were there wasn't it Scott.  :D
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Ian

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
13min 31sec into quali and red flagged, Grosjean into the barrier and Charlie said it's too dangerous.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »
Grosjean had been complaining over the radio that the track wasn't safe. He lost it on the pit straight. The car just hydroplaned. As of the red flag, he's in P3!

The pavement on the pit straight and the first couple of turns is new. The water is just standing on it. It probably also still has a lot of oil & such coming out of it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
Two hours into the rain delay and we have one of the high points of the season. In an effort to fill TV time, one of the camera guys handed his camera over to Danny Ric. He immediately walked into the Mercedes garage and started shooting close ups of their suspension!  :DD
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
I wonder what old Jaques will have to say about Lance stroll now.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
Not a lot.  He always goes quiet when, yet again, he has been proved wrong.

I listened to the session on the radio, although I am recording Channel 4's highlights programme.  Once it finally got going it was the most interesting qualifying session of the season.  Ferrari will be relieved if it is going to be dry tomorrow, as they didn't have the pace in the wet at all, while Hamilton looked imperious out front.

It's a shame that there are so many penalties to be handed out.  It really make a mockery of qualifying when so many cars are going to be put back on the grid.  I really think that they need to rethink this system.  At least it does have the benefit of bringing some unexpected drivers close to pole.  Stroll will be in a great position, in view of the engine in the back of his Williams, for the race tomorrow, as will Ocon in the Force India.  Either of them could get on the podium if there is any rain around, otherwise, I think that they will both be overtaken by Bottas and the Ferraris.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »
I wonder what old Jaques will have to say about Lance stroll now.

I'm sure he'll just say he knew it all along, and that 'tough love' was what it took to find greatness.

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
I agree Irisado, the penalties have got ridiculous, I mean 35 for Fernando is outrageous.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:53 PM »
I think even the FIA are realizing what a farce these gigantic grid penalties are.

Either of them could get on the podium if there is any rain around

There isn't any rain in the forecast for the race. But then, there wasn't any rain forecast for quali, either.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 02:19:14 AM »
I agree Irisado, the penalties have got ridiculous, I mean 35 for Fernando is outrageous.

The Sky broadcasters figured that Van Doorne's total penalties this season added up to a kilometre

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »
Yeah, the last 6 places are penalties.  The good part is it will be a bit like an inverted grid.  Let's see how that pans out at the first chicane.  ;)

I'll have my eye on DR to see how long it takes him to get past Max  ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:35:04 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
From that far back into the middle of the pack, Max will be very lucky to make it through the chicane. I see another DNF in his future.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
I agree, Lonnie. I wonder how many other cars he'll wipe out with him.

The big question on the start is will Cheko be able to catch Ocon in time to take him out at the chicane?
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »
Checko qualified P11, got a 5 place grid penalty, and will end up starting P10! Wonderful system! Why not just draw names out of a hat!
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
Heroes

Lewis, for another stunning, well managed race.  Good for him.  Same goes for Bottas.  Stayed mostly out of trouble at the beginning and drove their celebratory lap in much the same way they drove the race.  Good job boys.

Seb, for as usual, always being there in case something went wrong with the first two.  He wasn't that close this time, but all it would have taken would be a slide into some Monza gravel to have him up a step on the podium.

DR for almost catching Vettel, and for once again showing that he may not be as quick in a sector than Max, he knows how to get through a race with his nose clean and keeps it exciting. 

Stroll for showing the world that it wasn't all luck.  He got to the front on merit and stayed in the points and ahead of a charging teammate. 

Zeroes

FIA and their stupid grid penalty system.  It's meaningless now.  Nothing more than a joke to most serious fans.  Haha, Vandoorne has been penalized a km this year.  Haha, look at the Manors that are given a 10 place grid penalty when they are already starting from the back.  Talk about bringing the sport into disrepute, the FIA has done it this time and they should have their backsides paddled out of their jobs.

Max, for almost proving most of us right who predicted he would have probably DNF causing clashes on his way up from the back.  After hitting Grosjean and Massa, losing a tire and some carbon fibre, getting to 10th shows that a better driver could have brought home at least 5th in the same car.  If I was Horner, I would tell him if he just ONCE more complains about the team or the car, he can go find a ride wherever someone will have him.  I have yet to see the post race interviews, but I imagine he will blame all his problems on the fact the team had to take the penalty.

There were some other moments, but for the most part that is my take on the race.  I missed some of it in the middle (like how did Seb go off track?), but an enjoyable race.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle