collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ed Sheeran  (Read 9149 times)

Offline Ian

Ed Sheeran
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »
Seems like every time I turn my radio on there's one of his flaming records playing, I've only heard one of his I like and that's Castle On The Hill, as for Galway Girl, what an insult to Irish music that is.  >:D

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Calman

Re: Ed Sheeran
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:17:20 AM »
I have to agree, without knowing much about him as a singer at the time, I instantly liked Castle on the Hill (and the message portrayed in the video).  I'm not saying he isn't a good singer or his other songs aren't worth a second listen, but 'Castle on the Hill' is just one of those songs which stays in your head.

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »
Hit-makers are notoriously overplayed.  Same here in Switzerland.  If it isn’t Ed Sheehan, it might be Adele.  Too bad because both are fantastic talents who end up loathed by people who like variety.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »
Hit-makers are notoriously overplayed.  Same here in Switzerland.  If it isn’t Ed Sheehan, it might be Adele.  Too bad because both are fantastic talents who end up loathed by people who like variety.

A few years ago Lorde was upset she was getting so much play time.  She was worried people would get sick of hearing 'Royals'  over and over again.

Since getting Spotify, I don't know that I've turned on a radio for music in about 4 years.  I might be out of touch with the Top 40, but I know I like what comes on.  I don't want to sound like a shill, but I love Spotify's "discovery" feature, I'm always getting music I've never heard, but enjoy very much.

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »
I've not seen the video Cal, bad enough hearing him.  :D

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:02:17 PM »

A few years ago Lorde was upset she was getting so much play time.  She was worried people would get sick of hearing 'Royals'  over and over again.

Since getting Spotify, I don't know that I've turned on a radio for music in about 4 years.  I might be out of touch with the Top 40, but I know I like what comes on.  I don't want to sound like a shill, but I love Spotify's "discovery" feature, I'm always getting music I've never heard, but enjoy very much.

I do the same with Pandora.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:21:30 PM »
I haven't heard much Ed Sheeran, possibly because the local gym tends to play more dance and R&B. (They over-play Dua Lipa and Drake, in my opinion, but that's another story).

Occasionally I buy music I hear there, but I also use music I hear on TV, services from Spotify, new release announcements from artists I like, music magazines (their CDs often have at least one track I like) and one particular pen-pal who likes sending me music (and doesn't like anything in the current Top 40). I try to keep some notice of the Top 40... ...not because I like much of it, but because it comes in useful a few years later when I need a low-scoring answer on a Pointless music round ;)

This month's music purchases include one dance track (Cashmere Cat), albums from Tom Jones (rock-pop), Amy MacDonald (folk-pop), Kylie Minogue (dance-pop), Eric Clapton (rock) and Juanes (Latin), two albums of Chinese instrumental music and two compilation albums spanning multiple genres each. (Admittedly, I don't usually buy quite that much music in the same month). This may explain why Spotify has trouble figuring out what to recommend to me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:24:18 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
I kinda know what you mean Ian, but aren't we just showing our age complaining about music created by a younger generation? :DntKnw:

What do you think our parents thought of a lot of the artists played constantly on the pirate radio stations when we were teenagers. You must remember how they pushed certain artists as power plays every hour, sometimes more, David McWilliams for instance.  :D

It's not so much the new artists I object to, it's these Gold stations that play 70s & 80s classics where they seem to endlessly recycle a couple of hundred tunes - most of which have never been in my top hundred. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:24:41 PM »
I quite like some of the new stuff John, I know exactly what my Dad thought of the stuff I liked back then........" What's that sh*t you're listening." My son's into all that drum and bass rubbish, does my head in.  |-(

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »

I do the same with Pandora.

I used to love Pandora, but they haven't been available in Canada for about 20 years now.

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
I listen to this on the pc and my Roku

worldwide music   https://tunein.com/radio/local/
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »
It's not so much the new artists I object to, it's these Gold stations that play 70s & 80s classics where they seem to endlessly recycle a couple of hundred tunes - most of which have never been in my top hundred.

At least that means they have a three-digit playlist. The stations my gym plays don't seem to play more than 60 songs in a week each, of which 40 are invariably the Top 40-selling songs on whichever version of last week's chart that station regards as most representative of its audience's tastes. (Thankfully, the gym does change the station that plays multiple times a week even if nobody specifically requests it. And I can bring my music player to standard gym sessions - though not classes because the earphones would fall out!)

My parents thought I had good musical tastes - it helped that we agreed on Queen and Meat Loaf as favourite artists. The main point of divergence is that they don't really understand why I am quite so keen on instrumental albums. I suspect they never imagined any of their children would want to buy an entire album of panpipe music...

They thought well of my brother's interest in heavy metal (a genre neither of them particularly listened to before he started buying Metallica and Rammstein albums), but they were less impressed when he discovered TATU and seemingly played the same song non-stop for 4 weeks. (As a result, it is indelibly intertwined with my memories of Brazil 2003, because it was playing in the background when the news that Fisico won that race became official).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »
Queen, one of the best bands ever Ali.  :good:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »
When we were growing up, my Dad was a Big Band fan so that's what we listened to in the car. I moaned about about listening to "that old crap", but now my CD collection (which is just this side of ginormous) includes Sinatra, Crosby, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman etc. Because I had 2 fabulous music teachers it also includes Beethoven, Bach, Mozart etc. A wide selection of classic rock exists next to country, folk, jazz, bluegrass and a few moderns like London Grammar, Gabrielle Aplin, Florence and the machine. Know a radio station that plays all that?
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »
Queen, one of the best bands ever Ali.  :good:

add Abba
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle