collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 388
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Will Mclaren switch engines

yes
5 (62.5%)
no
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Mclaren engine switch  (Read 8315 times)

Online Dare

Mclaren engine switch
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:02:29 AM »
What do you think. On one hand it brings in a lot of money and
on the other it's a dog and if they keep it Alonso may leave

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Mclaren engine switch
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:31 AM »
I think Honda has finally overcome the token system that was holding them back, and will have a competitive engine by the end of 2017, and a race winner in 2018.

But I voted 'yes' because at this point I don't see that McLaren has a choice.  Honda was clearly the wrong choice, doubling down on something that didn't work isn't going to attract sponsors or top talent.  They have to show they're doing SOMETHING to improve, and switching engines is the easiest option.  So even though I think ditching Honda is a bad move competitively, I don't know what else they can even do.  (And it's not like the Renault engine will be a bad choice)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »
McLaren have given Honda a good go but I think it's time for a slightly lower profile team to take up the batten. I think the idea that Toro Rosso may take the Honda and thus enable Red Bull to then monitor progress with the option to jump to Honda in the future may be a sound move.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
I look for the McLaren - STR engine swap to happen, too. It will give McLaren a usable engine (and a chance to keep Alonso) and give Red Bull leverage over Renault.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:46:57 AM »
The new Macca is more corporate now Ron has gone so making true racing decisions has I fear been diluted. I'm also not sure the new bosses care if Nando stays, well not enough to influence choice of engine, so my vote is to stay with Honda.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:21:26 PM »
I think they will likely switch, but I don't think it has that much to do with Alonso staying or going.  They can't give him any assurances on next year's engine, just like they couldn't on this year's lump.  They will switch because Honda's planned progression was not achieved.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
The new Macca is more corporate now Ron has gone so making true racing decisions has I fear been diluted. I'm also not sure the new bosses care if Nando stays, well not enough to influence choice of engine, so my vote is to stay with Honda.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say, but rather, 10 years ago could you imagine we'd talk about McLaren becoming MORE corporate?  :crazy:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:27:47 PM »
Giancarlo Minardi thinks it is going to happen:

"During the delayed qualifying session at Monza, Zak Brown apparently signed an agreement with Cyril Abiteboul." Minardi said.

He also thinks Toro Rosso will pick up Honda. I wonder if he still has any inside info from his old team:

"As I say this, Honda's Yusuke Hawegawa is apparently flying to Japan to draw up the new program."

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/giancarlo-minardi-believes-f1-mclaren-renault-deal-has-been-signed
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »
I'm saying "no" purely because McLaren has somehow acquired a talent for messing up absolutely everything. I'm half-expecting to hear something was signed, but some clause activated that prevented the actual engine deal going through and forcing McLaren to stay with Honda, leaving everyone quietly doing the headless chicken dance...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
F1i.com is reporting that a deal is signed for Macca to get Renault engines, Toro Rosso to be the Honda development team with the expectation Honda will get it's ducks in a row and supply R/B with good engines by 2019. Meanwhile Sainz goes to Renault, maybe as early as Malaysia and T/R agrees to run a Japanese driver as #2 to Kvyat.

http://en.f1i.com/news/279205-sainz-renault-mclaren-honda-divorce.html
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »
Well, that experiment when badly.  I will be interested to see how Mclaren chassis stacks up against the other Renault teams.  The last few years have given them the Honda excuse, but no longer.  Lets see what the aero department was up to during that time.

And of course now there is that other elephant in the room...is there an Alonso contract in that decision or not?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »
If Red Bull goes with Honda in 2019, I wonder if it might be Honda's first step back to a factory team & Mateschitz's first step toward the exit.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
If Red Bull goes with Honda in 2019, I wonder if it might be Honda's first step back to a factory team & Mateschitz's first step toward the exit.

That certainly presents a host of questions.  Taking over BAR was taking over a dysfunctional team, so Honda will be at least one step ahead of where they were last time they had a factory team.  With all due respect, Christian Horner is no Ross Brawn, but we have seen how Horner is sometimes playing with a hand behind his back to appease Red Bull's upper management.  It would be interesting to see what happens if he's given a little more free reign.

Even though Honda has been a disaster in their return to F1, I like that they haven't given up, and even if they aren't going to buy a team, I do like that the idea that it can be discussed.  Personally I prefer the engine companies and the manufacturers remain separate (with a grudging historic exception for Ferrari), but as long as Mercedes and Renault are in, I'd like to see more companies step up.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »
I'm not sure the Japanese are thick skinned enough to dive deeper in to buy a team at this point, at least until their engine is putting drivers on podiums.  I think they probably have time to wait to see that happen before they put up the investment of an entire team.

I would like to see how Horner would do without Marko looking over his shoulder the entire time though.  Clearly some of his worse decisions were pressured from above.  I don't even think he likes Max - it always seems like an awkward smile when he talks to him.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
And another domino falls. The word is that Red Bull will dump Renault at the end of next season. In a triumph of optimism over history, it looks like they'll be going with Honda. I wonder how they'll feel if next season's Toro Rosso fares as well as the recent McLarens have. I suppose they could always slap another name on the Renault engines at the last minute......again.

The BBC asks if Danny Ric or Max V will be any happier with Honda "power" than Alonso is. That could really shake up the driver market.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41265779
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle