collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Scott

Hurricane Irma
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
If anyone here has ever been to the Caribbean on holiday (I know Wizzo has been scuba diving in Bahamas), the storm that is currently pounding the region has been declared the largest Atlantic hurricane in recorded history and near the top for intensity.  This storm may well change the region for decades.  Reports suggest total devastation of some of the smaller islands in the chains.

The US media and most of the western world seem mostly concerned about Florida, but I would suggest that Floridans can fend for themselves and at the very least they can run from the storm (drive, fly-away).  Those who live on the islands in many cases in relative squalor are going to be hardest hit without any chance of escape.  There are very few basements/cellars in the islands, and underground is likely the only place to find any protection.

Most credible reports have the anemometer (for wind speed measuring) in Baruba showing sustained winds of over 180mph until the eye of the hurricane went over the island this morning and then it quit.  One neighbouring island's radio station has reported that they have been attempting to contact ANYONE on Baruba all day, and have yet to have been able to.  This could and probably does mean the island has no power, mobile or internet, but it could also mean much worse.

I lived for 3 years in Bermuda in my early 20's.  Bermuda looks likely to get little more than a bit of rain this time, but while I was there, I experienced Hurricane Emily in 1987, which had sustained wind speeds of more than 90mph.  It destroyed more than 1/3 of the islands trees, removed about 10% of the rooftops, but thankfully most of the island's houses were constructed with cinderblock walls and weathered the storm quite well.  What I remember most is the sheer terror of the morning of the storm.  Palm trees bent almost sideways, and the noise.  Almost every moored boat in the bay was destroyed or at least beached.  Bermuda was lucky because the storm picked up speed as it hit the island and it was all over in a matter of a couple of hours.  This storm is more than DOUBLE the intensity and a third of the speed.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to be there.

Barbuda, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba, BVI and most of the other islands on Irma's path are built up with a good percentage of wooden structures, only a fraction of the altitude and extremely exposed to nature's fury.  I don't pray for much, but I'm pretty frightened for the people in Irma's path.  Bahamas looks likely to be swept past, but with a radius of 150km, it will still pack a punch. 

Video from the Weather Network credits this video to Saint-Martin, an island a bit further along the chain.  At the end of the video, the building housing the camera is also destroyed.  I can't say if this is at the height of the storm or just the beginning.  The storm is moving about 15mph, so the ramp up and ramp down will take close to 10hrs for it to go through.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/videos/gallery/irma-live-camera-captures-building-destruction/sharevideo/5566380667001

To top it off, the next storm, named Jose is expected to develop into hurricane speed winds within a day or two and may follow almost the same path as Irma, giving the survivors barely time to dig themselves out before the next storm hits.  [UPDATE] Jose has officially been declared a hurricane an hour ago, and minutes ago Katia has emerged as a new hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico...wow.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:35:01 PM by Scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:57:43 AM »
Here's what it looks like on Barbuda this morning.  Thankfully not many lives lost, but the Island is essentially uninhabitable.

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
Terrible Scott, and we moan about our weather over here.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »
My company used to handle the data processing systems for the Big Lots chain. Part of the job was disaster recovery. We'd roll in right after storms like this & get the stores open ASAP.

You can't believe the devastation a storm like Andrew or Katrina cause. Seeing it on TV is one thing. Driving through miles and miles of it, as far as the eye can see in every direction, is something else.

Scott is right about the islands. Many of them are relatively flat with nothing to break the wind. Many wooden structures with few basements & not way out. Then, after the storm, no easy way to get relief to them.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »
Before and after satellite photos of the Virgin Islands area. The vegetation is literally gone. The islands have changed from green to brown. The destruction down there is unbelievable.

http://earthsky.org/earth/virgin-islands-before-after-hurricane-irma-satellite-images
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
It's just insane.  The Caribbean won't be the same for years, if ever.  I'm sure local agriculture is all but destroyed.  So sad for the people and the precious and rich floral cover and bird populations of the islands.  It will be a while before that can be analyzed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle