collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: I'll be in Austin - anyone on here going?  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Robem64

I'll be in Austin - anyone on here going?
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:23:25 AM »
Off to Austin for the USA GP weekend - anyone else on here going? Possibility of a meet up?

I went to this race in 2015 - when it was badly affected by the tail end of Hurricane Patricia. It was still a fantastic weekend but I'm hoping for slightly better weather conditions this year, particularly as I watched it on TV last year and saw nothing but clear blue skies and sunshine!

I've chosen a different stand this time - Turn 12 which is at the end of the long straight and overlooks the stadium section.

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Ian

Re: I'll be in Austin - anyone on here going?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »
Nice one Rob, enjoy.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 02:22:53 AM »
Enjoy Rob.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Robem64

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
Made it to the track for FP2 - sleep to catch up on first from travel.

Weatherwise the session got much hotter as it went on. Have to say that Hamilton looks in dominating and relaxed form. Vettel and Ferrari flapping. LH could very well seal up the WDC this weekend. quali will be interesting for sure.

I love visiting this track as it’s a great spectacle and got real good seats at Turn 12. In fact from there we can see Turns 1,5,12,13,14,15 & 16 so good value I reckon.

A real minus for me yesterday though was the driver autograph sessions and interviews. Last time I came (2 years ago) they gave out wristbands to get autographs. A good idea and controllable. This year, the drivers wandered around a fenced off area in the amphitheater. Not a good idea...the only people who get autographs are those at the front who stay there for all the sessions. Newsflash to organisers....that’s why there was a lot of pushing forward!!!!

Even worse, they’re holding the driver interviews in an amphitheater location with a large stage. So where do they actually perform the interviews?....down in the fenced off area in front of the stage whilst they’re doing autographs. Nobody else can see them other than those on front row. They have a huge screen on stage but didn’t even broadcast them on there. What a stupid idea.

What numpty thought that one out!

Anyway, off to track later for FP3 and quali. Crazy timing though...FP3 at 11am and quali at 4pm. Hell of a gap. I think it’s to fit better with the after race concert!

Will report when I get back from track.

Rob

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
Good report Rob do you have a numbered seat this time?

Offline Robem64

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 05:18:45 AM »
Good report Rob do you have a numbered seat this time?

Yes, numbered seats for us both this time Andy as my wife had made this trip.

Just got back from the track as we stayed for the concert.

You’ll all have seen the quali by now.....the gusting wind did make it tricky and boy was it hot too. Vettel pulled the rabbit out of the hat with his last lap and set it up nicely for the race.
Hartley put in a very creditable performance. A very likeable chap too having watched him on the driver interviews.

Max will be storming through the backmarkers so be interesting to see how far up he gets. I
 also fancy Daniel for another podium tomorrow.

Lastly, Sainz did a sterling job for his first Renault quali - clearly demonstrating why Palmer is no longer there.

Should be a good race - enjoy y’all!

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
Very jealous...although I hope it will end up back at Indy in a couple of years and I can go then.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 12:54:08 AM »
Good reports Rob, Thanks.

A good race and dominating performance from Lewis.
The Ferrari's had no answer to Lewis but Bottas did not have the same pace for some reason.
Riccardo should have had a podium and gains an engine penalty in Mexico.
I would have liked to see Hartley starting in a better position to be able to compare his performance to Kvyat who seems to have had a good race but is it too little too late?
I'm frustrated with the track penalty for Max!
I agree that track limits should be enforced which is not happening.
All through the race track limits were being exceeded without penalty then a grandstand finish by Max gets penalised.
The stewards are need to decide if they are going to enforce track limits or not and be consistent in doing so.
Rant over.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 02:15:09 AM »

I'm frustrated with the track penalty for Max!
I agree that track limits should be enforced which is not happening.
All through the race track limits were being exceeded without penalty then a grandstand finish by Max gets penalised.
The stewards are need to decide if they are going to enforce track limits or not and be consistent in doing so.
Rant over.

Not long back from the track and what a race. Lots of action at turn 12 and the stadium section so really pleased with our view.
As Red Bull fans a bit of a rollercoaster. Daniel was looking good until his engine failure and we were gutted. Max made up for it a little with a barnstorming drive. So happy when we thought he'd made the podium only to be robbed and I couldn't agree more with you Andy. Consistency is vital. Max entertained the fans and whilst that shouldn't be at the expense of the rules, the lack of consistency penalised him horribly for an awesome last lap move. The powers that be should not lose sight of the fact that they are in the entertainment industry!

Highlights for us
- the Michael Buffet driver intros. Loved it
- Vettels first corner overtake
- Max's storming drive and last lap overtake (even thought he got penalised)
- Carlos Sainz debut Renault performance

Lowlights
- race stewards for lack of consistency.(How awkward was that in the driver room post-race!)
- Alonso having to retire.

Fabulous track here in Austin and we will definitely return.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle