collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 391
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 日本グランプリ  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Scott

日本グランプリ
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
I agree with Irisado  ::) ::) , the race was boring.  The first laps had some action, but by the time Sainz spun off, things had become a bit ho-hum.  Except for Kimi charging through the field, there wasn't much on track action. 

I can't believe Vettel's car was retired.  Such bad luck.  But if Vettel hadn't made the bonehead move in Singapore, he might have had the points to stay close to Lewis to the end.  There will always be some bad luck races, but no need to kill your own chances.

Reaching for straws, Horner (probably on Marko's instruction) has said that MV had a blistered front tire which was why he couldn't catch Lewis.  I don't recall seeing enough in-car of his to actually remember that, but I think the RBR simply didn't have the pace of Lewis's Merc today.  At one point he was charging, but Merc wisely let Lewis pass Bottas after the pit stop and Bottas slowed MV down for a few laps so Lewis could build a gap.  After that Max didn't have anything more for him.  I think if the car had the pace, then Ricciardo would have been able to close on Verstappen as well.  Still, not too shabby to grab 2-3.  RBR could grab 2nd place in the Contstructors if Ferrari keep on DNF-ing one or both cars. 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132294/blister-stopped-verstappen-hamilton-attack

Kudos to the Force India boys for not going at it, but then we never got to hear much radio from them, so perhaps they were told not to.

Nice to see the Haas in double points again as well.  Good job.

Not sure how Hulk's DRS wing failed, but I think the guy in the pits actually broke it off when he was trying to hammer it down.  Might get a bit of a talking to after that.  Who knows, they probably had to retire the car anyhow.

I actually didn't see the bit where Alonso held up Hamilton, but so what, it didn't affect the outcome, and I've sometimes thought Hamiltons driving manners need improvement. 

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: 日本グランプリ
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
MV said after the race he doubted if he could have passed Hamilton. Hobbs pointed out that the RB was faster that the Merc from S/F to the hairpin, but that long uphill straight was too much to overcome. They also played a couple of Perez' radio vocals and he was whining constantly about how slow Ocon was, but when he asked if he could pass the pits told him LOUD and clear absolutely not. Alonso was given a blue flag early in the lap but waited until the hairpin to move over, and Hammy complained, then he let Lewis through and blocked MV.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »
Not a race to inspire new viewers but a significant one for the championship.
The RB's never had the pace to pass the Merc's as even with the flappy bit open on the pit straight the Merc's pulled away from them.
Excellent race by Max he's beginning to mature into something good, I still expect to see him in a Mercedes.
I didn't think Alonso held up Lewis but did think he delayed Max but I don't know what was going on over the radios.
Any guesses at who the new principle will be at Ferrari? Someone to blame will come to the fore before too long!
Palmer got the Renault home which was more than could be said for Sainz so a space to watch it'll show whether Palmer was any good or not although I have a feeling which that'll be.
Damon's run in the FW11 was interesting in that how uncluttered it was but with 1000+ bhp it was a beast of a thing.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »
Dad fell asleep during the race and I had trouble staying awake for the re-run (I'd been awake to follow it on Twitter live, but Twitter fell over halfway through the race for me...)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »
The difference in Max's attitude over the last two races has been astounding. Never has there been a clearer representation of leaving the teenage years behind!
His race in Malaysia was faultless and strong. Japan was similar and also I was amazed that he never mentioned Alonso at the end. I felt Alonso blocked Max when he was having his strongest run at Hamilton but there was not a sign of any toys being thrown out of the pram.
Has someone coached him or does he have an eye on bigger things and suspects that petulance will not gain him too many admirers?
I'll watch with interest.

In all honesty, as an unabashed Red Bull fan, it's a real shame the cars didn't start the season more strongly as it would really have been interesting in the WDC now. Maybe next year  ;)
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
Any guesses at who the new principle will be at Ferrari? Someone to blame will come to the fore before too long!
:DD :DD :DD  No kidding.  Maybe Arrivabene can pass it off on a technical guy, but he's starting to look nervous. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
I don't fault Alonso for his actions there at the end. He was racing Massa for P10, the final points paying position. He let the leaders pass when he could do so without letting Felipe through.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »
Is there still call for Heroes & Zeroes? If so, then here's my contribution

HEROES
1. Lance Stroll for holding the Williams together after a frightening failure (was it the tyre?). I had visions of that Red Bull very nearly ploughing into the rear of a stationary car. Nobody wants another Billy Monger type incident
2. Max - another very mature solid drive.
3. Palmer - for getting the Renault to the end and leaving with grace in his interview on Channel 4 UK.

ZEROES
1. Sainz - for not managing to get the TR home in his last race. Did he have somewhere else to be? ;)
2. Alonso -  I realise the leaders came upon him mid-battle and in an awkward section of the circuit but I did feel robbed of an epic last lap battle
3. Ferrari - for what seems ineptitude when we're at the sharp end of the season

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
:DD :DD :DD  No kidding.  Maybe Arrivabene can pass it off on a technical guy, but he's starting to look nervous.

This is Arrivabene's 3 full season with Scuderia, and they have been improving with each season.  It took Schumacher/Todt/Brawn 5 seasons to put together a championship, and they're considered the best of the best. (7th season for Todt!)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »

This is Arrivabene's 3 full season with Scuderia, and they have been improving with each season.  It took Schumacher/Todt/Brawn 5 seasons to put together a championship, and they're considered the best of the best. (7th season for Todt!)

Don't misunderstand me, I don't want him to go...he's the first Ferrari principal I have liked in about 20years.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »
Listen closely to the audio from the Ferrari pit last week-end. You might hear, "Hey, somebody run down to Pep Boys for a set of plugs."   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »
For £52, you'd think the damn thing would work.  That's a lot for a spark plug  ;) ;) :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »
For £52, you'd think the damn thing would work.  That's a lot for a spark plug  ;) ;) :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Sounds like a repair shop I went to for a tuneup....they had the cost
of spark plugs at $25 a piece plus labor for plugs I can buy for less than
$5....they did say there's were special plugs though.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Robem64

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »

perhaps the Ferrari plugs were also special - supplied by Mercedes!

Sounds like a repair shop I went to for a tuneup....they had the cost
of spark plugs at $25 a piece plus labor for plugs I can buy for less than
$5....they did say there's were special plugs though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle