collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 327
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Brazil Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 2306 times)

Online Jericoke

Brazil Heroes and Zeroes
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:47 AM »
Heroes:

Vettel:  perfect race, very little TV time.  Remember in the days when Schumacher would lead from start to finish and the camera didn't leave him?

Bottas:  Very good race.  He's a great driver, but doesn't have that 'killer instinct' that champions seem to have.  Hopefully he finds it and becomes a serious contender next season.

Kimi:  Very good race.  Definitely a step down from the top drivers, but always reliable and entertaining, wish he could stay in F1 forever.

Hamilton:  the race of the day.  He started back, and did just about everything he could  to get on the podium.  Kimi defended him perfectly, if anyone else had been in third, I'm sure that Hamilton would have passed and been on the podium.

Renault, Honda, Mercedes and Ferrari:  not a single blown engine.  True, plenty of replacement parts and grid penalties to go 'round but still, no smoking ruins is good fun.

Honourable mention:
Massa:  He was right to go out last year.  I would never blame someone for racing in F1 if they're offered a position, but he was clearly slower this year.  He acquitted himself well in Brazil, but not a classic sendoff.

Zeroes:

Grosjean:  everyone wanted to see the Perez/Ocon showdown, how dare you rob us of the most interesting thing left in 2017!

Stroll:  some days he shows the maturity and skill of a future champion.  Most days his mind wanders and he makes 'rookie mistakes'. 

Online Dare

Re: Brazil Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »
Right on Jeri especially about Bottas. If he had started from
the pitlane where would he have finished? I would have betted
Lewis would have won from pole

I too wish Kimi could stay forever and Massa should have
stayed retired

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
ZERO.....sky for buying exclusive rights, 2018 will be my last year of watching F1.  >:D
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
I'm also pretty perturbed about Sky monopolizing the show on pay TV.  I liked to be able to watch in English these past few years rather than in German.  It won't stop me from watching, but will certainly make it less enjoyable. 

I still have to watch the race - I only caught bits of it because we were quite busy - I didn't get a peek before the 15th lap or so, and then a few short blips and the end.  I have it recorded, and will probably get through it tomorrow or Wednesday, but how did Grosjean cause Ocon to go out?

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
I also can't put up with watching streams any more, fed up with them keep freezing and being far behind, even with my good download speed. In my opinion, as much as I hate the BBC for dumping F1 they had the best coverage and the best team.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Ocon was passing Romain around the outside of turn 6 when the Haas slid into him. The stewards said it was avoidable and penalized Grosjean 10 seconds. Grosjean says he had been hit very hard in the turn 1 and 2 kerfuffle and had a tire going down.  :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »
Romain was right, but the penalty was still correct, given that stewards these days are more apt to penalise for consequences than causes.

Heroes:

Hamilton: Excellent fight through the field, single-handedly kept me awake despite my having a cold and being at the end of an 18-hour day.

Riccardo: Valiant attempt at doing what Hamilton did, spoiled by being swiped on Lap 1.

Massa: Kept Alonso and Perez back for many laps, despite both being faster (the former on corner speed, the latter on straight-line speed) to finish his final home race in style, if not necessarily for much reward.

Honourary mentions: Vettel for a skilful win, Verstappen for experimenting and holding his ground with a team which had forgotten how to strategise.

Zeroes:

Party-pooper gangs with guns: Rant alert!

A lot of people in the paddock who usually look forward to the race all year now don't want anything to do with Brazil. It's especially notable when looking at the Twitter feeds of mechanics, engineers and their loved ones (who are less apt to censor their thoughts on that medium than the senior staff). This is obviously awful for F1 and everyone who loves it... ...but it's even bad for the people who did the crime and thought they were benefitting from it. Here's why:

This year appears to have been a co-ordinated effort (the way the Sauber hit happened in particular betrays this) rather than the usual individual chancers of most years (who, however pathetic their actions, can't be expected to plan for things so far ahead when they're typically struggling to survive a given day). While it was at individual level, it was plausible for teams to chalk it up to the cost of going to this exciting racetrack and beef up their defences. That's not really possible with the level of attack shown here, especially when they didn't even get the hint after security was stepped up following the three attacks/attempted attacks on Friday night (Sauber got an attack on Saturday night and Pirelli on Sunday).

Co-ordinated criminal plans of this type indicate spectacularly clueless criminal planners... ...by their actions, the golden goose whose eggs got stolen by the needy may now have been cooked. The F1 circus looks like it is headed elsewhere (any elsewhere), so now the criminal elements of Sao Paulo will be permanently poorer. Why didn't the criminals think of that before they acted?

There's stupid crime, and then there's stupid crime  :fool: :fool: :fool:

Whoever hit Grosjean and Riccardo: In a race with very few true on-track howlers, I would like to zero whoever hit Grosjean and Riccardo at the first corner sequence. They spoilt the Force India duel and Daniel's fightback respectively and this cannot go un-noted.

Toto Wolff: Now, there are various approaches to handling a bunch of your staff getting fired at. Having the whole team stoically continuing with the job is one of them. Sending the affected staff home early is another. But if you do the former... ...please don't tell Sky you did the latter.

(And yes, this race didn't have much zero quality to it)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:24:00 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »

Toto Wolff: Now, there are various approaches to handling a bunch of your staff getting fired at. Having the whole team stoically continuing with the job is one of them. Sending the affected staff home early is another. But if you do the former... ...please don't tell Sky you did the latter.

I thought that Toto was sending the team home after the race and another group were coming in to pack up?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:15 AM »
Toto said he was sending them home 'a day early' and I believe that is what happened.

Online Dare

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 01:10:02 PM »
Why send them home early? The horse already got out of
the barn,just beef up security and go about your business
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Dare

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
Why send them home early? The horse already got out of
the barn,just beef up security and go about your business

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle