collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 389
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kubica  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Monty

Kubica
« on: November 28, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
I have huge sympathy for Robert Kubica but I cannot understand why a serious F1 team would risk hiring him.
I can't work out if they were on like for like tyres but he was a smidge under 2 seconds a lap slower than the already not very impressive Stroll during today's test. There are young drivers in the lower ranks that could probably beat that without any health and mobility concerns and I would expect / hope that DiResta's experience would have resulted in much better times. Robert has already had an insurance pay-out because his career had been terminated due to the accident - I applaud him for wanting to get back into F1 but I think there is too much risk.

Offline Jericoke

Re: Kubica
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
I have huge sympathy for Robert Kubica but I cannot understand why a serious F1 team would risk hiring him.
I can't work out if they were on like for like tyres but he was a smidge under 2 seconds a lap slower than the already not very impressive Stroll during today's test. There are young drivers in the lower ranks that could probably beat that without any health and mobility concerns and I would expect / hope that DiResta's experience would have resulted in much better times. Robert has already had an insurance pay-out because his career had been terminated due to the accident - I applaud him for wanting to get back into F1 but I think there is too much risk.

Yeah, he's been given his chance, and if he's not up to it, it wouldn't be fair to him, his team or the driver he would be displacing.

I'm disappointed he isn't ready to return to F1.

However, only Williams (and probably Pirelli) know what conditions he ran with.

(Maybe it was a negotiating ploy.  'Robert, you were slow at the test, but maybe we'll sign you on for a low offer...')

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
Were Stroll and Kubica on the same program? It's difficult to tell. Besides, we know Stroll is in the car. The real question is whether Kubica is faster than di Resta and Sirotkin (the two other drivers being considered by Williams, now that Kyvat - for whatever reason - no longer is).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
According to Sky Sports Kubica set his time on Softs, he completed 100 laps.
All other listed best times at the 1st test day, including Stroll, were set on the new hypersofts.
Perhaps Robert can still mix it with rest, if not the best.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
It would be a great story if Robert returned
and became a factor. But being in a Williams
midpack would be the best he could hope for.
Monaco will be a test for sure
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »
7    Robert Kubica    Williams    1'39"485
Now quicker than Stroll (and quite a few other people!). Perhaps I need to eat my words.

Online Dare

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 11:19:33 PM »
7    Robert Kubica    Williams    1'39"485
Now quicker than Stroll (and quite a few other people!). Perhaps I need to eat my words.

A lot of us might have to
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline ChrisCurtis

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Sorry for being late to this one.

I think Kubica’s short run pace hasn’t really been in doubt since his earlier tests. The bigger question was around his endurance in the more physical 2017 car. It makes sense his first test was a longer slightly slower program.

I really hope his skill and more importantly his experience will trump youth and enthusiasm because mid pack teams benefit from an older wiser driver.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle