collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 374
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Testing  (Read 1919 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Testing
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:08:58 AM »
We all know testing is not a reliable indicator of how the cars will show in Oz. There have been a couple interesting points though. Franz Tost reckons Toro Rosso-Honda will beat McLaren in the championship this year.  :swoon:  Toro Rosso has had an amazingly trouble free 2 weeks in Spain while Macca has had all sorts of niggling problems. R/B and Ferrari have been quick in spots, but ominously, Merc has concentrated almost exclusively on long runs. The FIF1 guys think their run at #4 in the WCC is over, they are not happy with the new car, though Perez says they made a good improvement today. Stoll has generally been quicker than Sirotkin at Williams, but they are also none too pleased with the new car. Over at Sauber, Ericsson feels he has the measure of Le Clerc. The Sauber has generally been in the lower half of the field on times. My guess is that Hamilton and Vettel will scrap for the WDC with the R/B boys a tick off most places. For the WCC Merc wins because Bottas is more motivated than Kimi. If Macca gets their car together they might steal a podium or two. Renault and Macca battle for 4TH.   :DntKnw:

Lonny

Offline Scott

Re: Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »
So almost like last year then  :crazy: :crazy:

I wondered if Honda would have it figured out by now, bringing back the Alonso curse since Renault have fallen off, at least with the equipment they've been supplying McLaren (or is it that CAR???  No, say it ain't so). 

Well, I hope McLaren sorts out their problems before race one and are at least in the thick of the mid pack.  I also hope the FIF1 team are just crap talking and the car is as good as last year. 

I can't believe we are only two weeks out to the season beginning.  I have a TV twice the size of the one I had until now, and am looking forward to the first race.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:08:39 PM »
So almost like last year then  :crazy: :crazy:

I wondered if Honda would have it figured out by now, bringing back the Alonso curse since Renault have fallen off, at least with the equipment they've been supplying McLaren (or is it that CAR???  No, say it ain't so). 

Well, I hope McLaren sorts out their problems before race one and are at least in the thick of the mid pack.  I also hope the FIF1 team are just crap talking and the car is as good as last year. 

I can't believe we are only two weeks out to the season beginning.  I have a TV twice the size of the one I had until now, and am looking forward to the first race.

Now that Mclaren can't hide behind Honda (and certainly not all their failures last season could be laid at Honda...), what happens if they start slow?  Even when Ferrari goes through 'down times', it's never an extended period of embarassingly bad. 

Something serious has to change at McLaren if testing is an indication of the season to come.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »
I always think testing is just that.....although all the teams are there, they're all testing in isolation. So many different combos of tyres, fuel loads, aero settings, long runs, quick runs, etc etc etc. For me it offers very little insight into the races ahead. Developments very quickly appear and will undoubtedly do so in the interval between now and the Australia.
Bring it on I say and fingers crossed for some close running and exciting battles.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

guest3164

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:24:03 AM »
Hoping that the Williams is not as bad as some have said.  Autosport have suggested in some of their paywall protected articles that the team have gotten on top of some of the issues so I hope that this 'radical' new car is not a huge let down for Lowe and the team.  Other than that, I'd say Mercedes are looking very dangerous again.  The Renault teams could still struggle if their engines are having to race slightly down on power.  Toro Rosso Honda have shown good reliability but I wonder about their outright pace when it comes to the proper stuff.  I just hope the racing is a bit closer this season.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:54:42 PM »
Not familiar with the Sky people so I don't know if Ted Kravitz has a clue, but here's how he rates the teams post winter test.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11282888/f1-testing-who-impressed-and-whos-ahead-for-2018
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle