collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 355
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Manor Racing ...  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Calman

Manor Racing ...
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »
Hi folks!

I heard floating rumours in the past 2-3 months about a possible return to the grid for Manor Racing? ... has anyone heard anything concrete, or is it simply a pipedream from unconfirmed investment opportunities?

There was something mentioned about Liberty's long term vision on the costing side of things, which may have made it possible for the team to return to the grid with a realistic budget, but heard nothing since.

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Manor Racing ...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:38:45 PM »
Pipe dream as far as I can see, Manor team seem happy in WEC. 9
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:03:36 PM »
Hmm, I thought that may be the case ... real shame!!

I think the new owners of F1 are pushing for 26 cars on the grid and 24/5 races a year.  Pushing it, but that's their vision.

All the best,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:52 PM »
They might want 26 on the grid but achieving it under the present Concorde agreement is almost impossible.

Let's see what the new era in 2021 throws up.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
I really do not see it happening (either Manor or more new teams) until engine costs are cheaper and teams get a more balanced and fair level of pay. 

I did like Manor though, they felt like proper racers.  It was a shame when they closed shop. 

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
Yes indeed, they need to sort the costs out, where potential new teams don't manage to scrape enough cash together, just to appear on the back of the grid, then have no funding left for development or paying their drivers!!

Manor Racing had a certain honesty about them and I thought Graham Loudon was a really decent bloke!!

All the best,

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
Manor proper (the John Booth/Graham Lowdon version) is still in the process of getting its LMP1 team going; I really can't see them contemplating any other series, let alone F1, in the near future. When Liberty first bought F1, Manor said they would consider re-entry, but then they got a deal they couldn't refuse for LMP1 in WEC, so they're making the best of that right now.

John Booth combines the WEC work with assisting Toro Rosso, so it's not as if he isn't staying involved in F1, but I think that given their previous experience, they'll be wary of any questionable promises made from F1 in future, and any attempt at re-entry will be several years in the future, if ever.

I could see a dreamer such as Steven Fitzpatrick (the last boss of Manor F1) retrying with a new team or a buy-out. If the latter is attempted, the wise boss will run 100 miles in the opposite direction, as he has been shown to back out of deals mid-stream (he was meant to be at Manor long enough for 5-year repayment schedules to be met, even though those schedules were why he was allowed to buy its debts for 2.49% of their value in the first place...) I would suggest that if any Manor activity is happening in F1 (and I've missed the rumours entirely), it would be from that quarter.

I am a Manor fan. They are not only great, solid racers, but they also have a sense of humour (they giggled quite a bit when I brought them manor cake last year) and really enjoy interacting with their fans (they always say "Hi" if you speak to them and they always read messages sent to them, which even in WEC, is apparently beyond the ability of some of their fellow teams).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:53:13 PM »
Sadly, I fear that there will be no new teams for a very long time.  The costs are too high and the penalties too harsh for new teams to compete or to survive.  Manor, Caterham (Lotus), and Hispania all tried very hard, but without the budget cap, they were essentially forced out of business.

I'd be much more interested about the new season if there were new teams, a full grid of 26 cars, and Red Bull gave a reconstituted Minardi team sponsorship and stopped peddling that soulless Toro Rosso vassal team, but I cannot see of this happening.  The engines, in particular, must be looked at.  They are far too complicated and too expensive and there are too few suppliers to maintain a full grid.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 10:56:45 PM »
I couldn't agree more!!

24-26 cars would be nice to see again some day, but as you say, they have to sort out all the cost caps and bickering and help teams at the back of the grid survive and to some degree, compete!!!

Still feels laughable that at one point (when the minimum of 18 cars on the grid were at risk) ... they flirtingly entertained 3 car teams, seems madness to reflect on that idea now.

All the best,

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 12:15:26 AM »
I liked the old days when you still had some one
car teams. Rob Walker was good for F1 and he
covered the races pretty darn good. It was Car and Driver
if I'm not mistaken
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:13:17 AM »
Road & Track. He took over from the late great Henry N. Manney. If you have never read their work, find it online and treat yourself to a world of F1 that simply no longer exists. It isn't possible for a journalist to get as close to today's drivers as these gentlemen were to the drivers of their time.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle