collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Legal but against the spirit!  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Robem64

Legal but against the spirit!
« on: March 15, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »
Wtf........somethings either legal or it's not. It's a grey area if you start saying somethings "not in the spirit of the technical regulations".

This sounds like Renault have been innovative (isn't that one of the attractions of this sport) but the FIA will rule against it if it starts to allow them to gain ground on others!

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/891531/1/fia-warns-against-false-f1-engine-modes-aid-blown-rear-wing

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

Re: Legal but against the spirit!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
It won't surprise me if the FIA finds a way to completely ban it if it actually works. After all, we can't have innovation like that in "the pinnacle of high tech racing."

It reminds me of the FIA banning Renault's mass damper in 2006. They claimed it was a movable aerodynamic device, even though it wasn't in any airflow. The idea for the device came from the marvel of up-to-date tech, the 1949 Citroen 2CV.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
I'm sure Renault is STILL annoyed that when they asked if the double diffuser was legal,they were told 'no', and yet Brawn showed up in Australia and won the championship using it.

I love when the F1 teams exploit the loopholes.  That's what makes it a sport.  I can appreciate the FIA clamping down on dangerous things, like ground effect skirts, those 'X-Wings' in the 90s that got knocked off etc.  But flexible wings that pass tests, phantom engine mappings, why not? 

My favourite part of the article is the last line though:
"The most important thing is that they are not doing anything silly, I believe, with the engine modes which is unnatural."

I love that people like to somehow divide motorsport into 'natural' and 'unnatural' (or artificial).  It's not like we went out and captured a bunch of wild cars that we race for pleasure.  The entire operation is 100% unnatural.  Flying around the world and spending billions of dollars to see which man can get back to where he started first is about as unnatural as we can get.

Offline Calman

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »
Unfortunately, "loopholes" has become a stronger part of F1 DNA these days.  There is always something for one team to complain about, pointing the finger to another and that will only get worse (although 2017 was relatively calm in comparison to previous years).   

If every team could accept that "these are the rules" and "you can bend them to THIS degree" ... then most people would be happy, but that's in an ideal world.  So long as every team is looking for that extra 10th, rules will always be broken somewhere down the line.

Personally, so long as they remove the Coat Hanger in 2018 and change the Halo to a slim clear cockpit visor in 2019, then surely that's a step in the right direction?

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
They will let Renault run the "blown wing" they've come up wing as long as they don't program the engine to hold the throttle open under braking and at low speed like they did with blown diffusers a few years back.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:06:45 AM »
I'm with Martin Brundle on this. There is no such thing as "the spirit of the rules". If the FIA does not understand this, then:

a) it's admitting (again) that it does not know how to govern

b) it's effectively declared the wing modes legal.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 10:44:37 PM »
Flying around the world and spending billions of dollars to see which man can get back to where he started first is about as unnatural as we can get.

Absolutely love this line...top work  :good:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle