collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 375
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2018 Rolex Australian Grand Prix  (Read 11413 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: 2018 Rolex Australian Grand Prix
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
ANY Safety Car rule, actual or virtual, that allows a car to go faster down the pits than on the track, is fundamentally  flawed & needs fixed.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »
ANY Safety Car rule, actual or virtual, that allows a car to go faster down the pits than on the track, is fundamentally  flawed & needs fixed.

As the VSC rule has been explained numerous times, particularly in accommodating newcomers to F1 or armchair fans, it has always been simplified by Pundits with the 'Scalextric' approach ... so in paralleling with that example, EVERY CAR should be "set" to the same speed, track, pit lane .. maybe even Fernando's Deck Chair!!!

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 12:17:36 AM »

Cars going slowly in the pit lane would lead to congestion and more danger, wouldn't it?  Especially if cars are stacking up to pit under a safety car?

I'm not really opposed to the idea, just so long as they ensure they're changing it for safety reasons. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
Just to clarify things can it really be true that cars on track during VSC are running below the pit lane speed limit? IMHO that's clearly not true, for evidence I offer the example of the actual safety car which goes faster than the pit limit speed but leaves us and the drivers with the impression it's a carnival procession.

The question therefore is how could Merc make such a fundamental error? My suggestion is human error not an algorythym - crap data in crap data out.

I think on the safety in the actual pitlane element the speed doesn't need changes, any advantage to a car pitting under VSC can only come on the pit in & pit out track sections,  after or before the safety lines.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 10:18:18 AM »
They were two of the funniest things I've seen in F1 Cal, Fernando's deck chair and Fernando on the camera  at the Brazilian GP(I think)  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Calman

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
We are now in the era of no refuelling during a race and although this may sound a little stupid, what about enforcing "Pit Lane Closed" during any VSC period, where only cars with visible damage or safety related issues were permitted to enter the pits ... or have I missed a mammoth flaw in this thought?

All the best,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »
We are now in the era of no refuelling during a race and although this may sound a little stupid, what about enforcing "Pit Lane Closed" during any VSC period, where only cars with visible damage or safety related issues were permitted to enter the pits ... or have I missed a mammoth flaw in this thought?

All the best,

The moment you allow a judgement call on which car can pit, and which one can't, you're opening up to controversy.  Unless you're talking about only letting in cars that have black flagged, the lane should be closed to all.

Now, of course, with the designed to be destroyed Pirellis, forcing a car to restart on tires that are three laps past their use by date would be dangerous, in which case banning them from the pits will just lead to more caution periods.

I think the current rule is fine.  Someone was bound to exploit the loophole once.  Now that we know it's there, it will be part of the team planning and strategy software.  As long as we don't have any Briatore style 'planned safety cars', I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline Scott

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 04:46:31 PM »
Just to clarify things can it really be true that cars on track during VSC are running below the pit lane speed limit? IMHO that's clearly not true, for evidence I offer the example of the actual safety car which goes faster than the pit limit speed but leaves us and the drivers with the impression it's a carnival procession.

The question therefore is how could Merc make such a fundamental error? My suggestion is human error not an algorythym - crap data in crap data out.

I think on the safety in the actual pitlane element the speed doesn't need changes, any advantage to a car pitting under VSC can only come on the pit in & pit out track sections,  after or before the safety lines.

To break it down, the pit in and pit exit sections, after the safety line, have NO speed limit...at any time.  That was where Ferrari got their advantage and managed to pass Lewis.

Used to be that teams used to cover each other's pit stops to prevent any advantage on new vs old tires, even during SC sections. 

The fact that there is a distinct advantage during a VSC because there is no SC touring around that is forbidden to overtake while in the pit lane means teams now have a new strategic element.  You know what?  I love new strategic elements that bring excitement or shake up the proceedings (processions?).  Why all the rush to prevent something like that from happening again?  From lap 2 it was a Hamilton win unless his car broke.  Ferrari found a way to change that outcome, and I am pleased it surprised everyone, especially Hamilton and Merc.  They could have prevented it by either pitting with Vettel or the very next lap might have even put them back in front (I don't recall if the VSC went for a further lap after Vettel pitted, but if it did, clever minds at Merc might have called in Hamilton to leap frog Vettel right back).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
No the leap frog wouldn't work Scott. Lewis would have to be 15 secs in front of SEB to pull that trick, and if Hammy was in front no need to pit.

Offline Calman

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 06:48:30 PM »
Well, on reflection, it's probably best that everything surrounding VSC periods are left well alone.  As you say, everyone has knowledge of the loophole and should be able to do their sums properly in future. 

Regardless, I have every faith in Liberty Media to come up with an amicable solution, bringing satisfaction to the heads of every driver and smiles to the faces of every Team Principle, like daisies and buttercups!! *dripping with sarcasm smiley goes here*

All the best,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:21 PM »
Oh Calman - You youngsters get bored so easily.  ;)

Offline Calman

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:22 PM »

I don't follow?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »

I don't follow?

Seems to me you were seeking to close the discussion down, so I figured you may be a little bored.
No disrespect intended.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2018, 09:53:51 PM »
I deliberately did not log in to post my comments in the days after the race because I was initially too angry and then far too disappointed.  I'm still very disappointed, but at least I am in a more calm frame of mind.

To put it diplomatically, that was the worst race I have ever seen in twenty-three years of watching Formula 1.  I have absolutely no positive comments to make about any aspect of it.  It was boring from start to finish.  There was no tension, no excitement, and even the commentary was flat and lifeless.

The cars look absolutely hideous.  The halo is a massive problem from an aesthetic point of view and also may cause unintended safety issues.  The cars all look even more similar than they usually do and they are ugly.  The awful engine covers, combined with the halo, and chunky noses and front wings make them look more like converted sports cars than Formula 1 cars.  They also look slow and do not give any impression of speed when viewed on the television.  They are also far too easy to drive.

The whole race was like an endurance race.  Drivers trundling around, well within their limits, looking after tyres and then just trying to undercut each other.  Add in the need to conserve engines and gearboxes, the usual contemporary problem of excessive reliability, and the age old problem of the aero dependency effect and the whole even was insipid.  Boring, processional, and totally uninspiring is my summation, and that's being generous.

I have not followed any developments or news until today, when I finally summoned up the motivation to look at the free practice results, and I don't even know whether the race is live on Channel 4 this weekend, whether it's highlights, or even what time it is.

I really don't care any more and it makes me really sad to type that, but it's how I feel.  Unless they totally change the rules I see no way in which Formula 1 races are ever going be exciting again.  I stick around because I like interacting with you guys and playing the grid game with you all, but that's it.  This season is, after just one race, a write-off, in my opinion.  I only hope that something miraculous happens to prove me wrong.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Calman

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »
Seems to me you were seeking to close the discussion down, so I figured you may be a little bored.
No disrespect intended.

Not sure what gave you that impression, but nothing could be further from the truth John! ... just everyday F1 discussion as far as I can see?

All the best,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle