collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: New looks in F1  (Read 6825 times)

guest3164

Re: New looks in F1
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
I can only imagine how 'fun' the Monaco Grand Prix will be.   :lazy:

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 12:11:01 AM »
Totally agree about the halo Ali, get rid of it. Then get rid of all the excessive aero so we can then see some overtaking.

Nothing will ever be done about the aero. People have been complaing
for years to deaf ears. We ought to accept they don't give a hoot about
the fans only the fans money
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 12:33:00 AM »
Nothing will ever be done about the aero. People have been complaing
for years to deaf ears. We ought to accept they don't give a hoot about
the fans only the fans money

.. and I hate to admit it, but now under Liberty Media's control, that point of view is more accurate than ever ... IMO.

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 02:50:43 AM »
The FIA has made some half hearted attempts to reduce aero, but the manufacturers always veto it. They feel aero development is one area they can demonstrate their tech with all the engine and other restrictions they deal with. As long as that remains true, it won't change. The FIA won't risk manufacturers walking away from the "sport" because of the rules.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
The FIA has made some half hearted attempts to reduce aero, but the manufacturers always veto it. They feel aero development is one area they can demonstrate their tech with all the engine and other restrictions they deal with. As long as that remains true, it won't change. The FIA won't risk manufacturers walking away from the "sport" because of the rules.

I wonder if anyone will explain how restricting the engine development, which requires a ton of R&D to create engines on the razors edge between reliability and maximum power along with the insane amount of R&D poured into aero to fight against those engine restrictions, is in ANY way a money saver aside from the little bit of physical manufacturing difference between 20 engines and 4 per car.

I bet the teams have never spent so much money trying to get the most out of their cars and engines than before when they would bring 5-6 engines per race.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »
Awful in every respect is how I will sum up Formula 1's new look.

Starting with the graphics, the font that is used looks like the one from Geoff Crammond's 2001 Grand Prix 4 computer game.  Those graphics were not great then and they look even more hideous now.  The second problem is the font size is such that I cannot read any of the information on my small television, even with my glasses on.  The last issue that I have is that they take up far too much of the picture and are too distracting.  Mind you, at least it gives me something to watch, as the quality of the racing is nothing to catch the eye, but I'm going to discuss that elsewhere.

The halo is hideous.  It makes driver identification too difficult and I am very concerned about what will happen if a car flips over or the halo comes loose for some reason.  I understand the need to constantly improve safety, but it is a step too far in my opinion.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Calman

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 02:15:48 AM »
The 'B Movie' opening credits style music is starting to get on my nerves, as you miss some of the technical vocal details, where the music is too overpowering, unnecessary and plain annoying.  It's almost like watching a serious sporting event and your little brother is watching a gladiator style movie in the next room. 

Some of the "tame" graphic changes are growing on me, but the over the top photo animations, drivers in danger zone with patronising division lines bla bla bla, well, they are purely to grab the attention of 12 year olds that know squat about F1!! (and will likely have less interest in 12 months time) *rant over*  :DD

All the best,

guest3164

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 08:32:38 AM »
I agree about the music.  Perhaps it was my mood, but I had to mute the TV during that part of the race build up. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »
The whole Halo thing reminds me of the giant flap we had over here when they mandated roll cages on sprint cars. Everybody complained how ugly they were and how they would ruin the sport.

Now, they look perfectly natural and it's hard to believe how deadly the old cars were.

I'm glad to hear that some of the rest of you are having problems reading the on-screen graphics. I was afraid that it was just a function of my advancing years.  :confused:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 11:08:55 PM »
I'm glad to hear that some of the rest of you are having problems reading the on-screen graphics. I was afraid that it was just a function of my advancing years.  :confused:

Not at all cosworth151, the new graphics and particularly on screen text, is a sufficient size for anyone under the age of 85yo ... so everyone should be able to read this example, similar to the size of text we see on our TV screens.  Have a nice day! *runs*

All the best,

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 12:13:46 AM »
Dear Cal,

:tease:

Sincerely,
Cos (Great Grandpa since 2016)    ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 01:48:52 AM »
Dear Cal,

:tease:

Sincerely,
Cos (Great Grandpa since 2016)    ;)

Seriously though .... Respect!!!   :good:

All the best,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
Nah! Don't respect him, it just goes to his head.   :crazy:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »
Just joking, Cal. I couldn't resist.   :good:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »
It was the first time that I had heard the build up music, since Channel 4 sensibly cut it from their highlights package of the Australian Grand Prix.  It is awful and yet another gripe for me, on top of all the others mentioned, about the whole presentation package this year.

It is like watching a computer game with the graphics and silly 'driver in danger' comments.  The starting grid presentation with the drivers full length photos only serves to convey that impression still further.  I don't like it at all.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle