collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 394
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2018 Grand Prix of Bahrain  (Read 11525 times)

Offline Ian

Re: 2018 Grand Prix of Bahrain
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
Gonna have trouble on chat today, virgin have enlarged their small picture so I'll either have to really shrink the chat box or cut off some of the picture.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
ESPN showed the race advert-free today. sadly, they cut away just after the podium interviews.

Spoiler Alert:

2.  The FIA should have a peek at why the RBR can suddenly and unexpectedly find 150hp.

It's easy if you build an engine that only last 3 laps.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 12:20:44 AM »
ESPN showed the race advert-free today. sadly, they cut away just after the podium interviews.

Spoiler Alert:

2.  The FIA should have a peek at why the RBR can suddenly and unexpectedly find 150hp.

It's easy if you build an engine that only last 3 laps.

Or if you turn a high  tech race car over to a teenager
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 04:56:54 AM »
According to Max, his engine's software went haywire. Now that could mean a lot of things as these Power Units do not run anywhere near capacity, but since the electric part of the hybrid generates about 150 BHP, I suspect that for whatever reason his battery dumped all its power too soon in the corner and overpowered the rear tires.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 08:24:41 AM »
Still skeptical...Max is famous for the blame game, whether it was another driver, or some technical unidentifiable gremlin.  Certainly never him.  I thought I saw his rear wheels on the white line or kerb when his drift into spin started.  I would put it on driver error until there is proof.  His race was spoiled by himself.  It's one thing to be fast and daring, but another to know when to hold back and make sure you finish the race.  He doesn't seem to get the latter.  Lewis does.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
Race comments...

As for the result, although it didn't line up with my picks, I'm pleased Vettel made those tires last and was able to fend off Bottas.  Doesn't do much for Bottas' reputation.  He (and Merc) had to have known that he would need at least a few laps to pass Vettel once he was in DRS range - Vettel is not a pushover and knows exactly where to put his car and when to brake to muck up the next DRS zone for a following car.  It seemed like Merc was holding Bottas back probably 10 laps too late, maybe to see if they could use him to help Lewis get by?  I don't know, but if they had sent Bottas on a charge sooner, it might have even prompted Ferrari to bail on the one stop strategy and settle for 3rd by sending Vettel out on new tires with Bottas breathing down his neck at say the 45th lap.  That said, the Medium tires didn't seem to have the performance of the Softs, even if they had longer life.

It was funny when Hammy's radio was acting up and at one point his engineer said he could only hear wind noise and Coulthard chimed in that he understood him perfectly well.  Maybe Merc should look at the headphone brand that Ch4 is using.  And I guess the 1:34 target time turned out to be a bit too conservative.  I suspect Lewis is pretty much finished listening to Merc and their race strategies.  Watch for him to take things into his own hands in future races and have his engineers pleading with him to do something different.

Fantastic finish for Gasly and STR (and of course HONDA!).  RBR is probably entering into talks with Honda for the big team now.  The mechanics at STR were thrilled beyond belief...fantastic job, with a perfect drive.

Although Grosjean struggled, it was nice to see a Haas in 5th place, and getting both Mclarens in the points was an accomplishment after a roller coaster race for both of them.

The Ferrari pit incident was horrific and could have been much much worse.  I hope the mechanic (two broken bones in his leg) makes a complete recovery.  Two notes - when they were having trouble with the tire, the mechanic, the one holding the new tire to be put on, actually made a step IN towards the car and put him and his leg in a very dangerous position.  I don't know if he did that to signal the guy on the lights that there was a problem (still super dangerous) or if he just lost a bit of balance while holding the wheel.  2nd - Kimi's reaction.  Obviously it wasn't Kimi's fault as he is only looking at one thing when he is waiting to accelerate, and the light did turn green.  But when he got out of the car and slowly realised one of the mechanics was injured, he COULD have headed over to the mechanic and at least shown a bit of interest rather than just turning his head and storming through the garage.  I realise he couldn't have helped at that moment, but even to approach and show some concern would have given us some impression of compassion.  Too bad.  Ferrari has been fined for the incident.  I find that bizarre when a mechanic is hospitalised for a very serious safety failure, a team gets fined, which means nothing in the grand scheme, yet when a tire is cross threaded or something that doesn't even cause an injury, they end up with grid penalties.  Both are unsafe releases, but why is the one that put someone in the hospital treated so lightly?  Applause to the Ferrari team personnel who ran to the aid of theirs and ignored Kimi's selfishness.

guest3164

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:27 AM »
My grid picks were akin to Williams own form.  Almost in a different formula/competition they were so off the mark  :o

The race was a good one, quite exciting with plenty of on track action.  Thankfully the Ferrari mechanic has had successful surgery after the accident and I hope he makes a full recovery.  Kimi's reaction was disappointing but I guess he is paid to be focused only on racing hard.  I would have preferred to see him check on his team though as opposed to throwing a strop straight away.  The Ferrari's certainly seem more competitive than I expected though and their use of strategy really seems to negate any speed Mercedes have. 

Bottas I believe has now shown his level.  He can win races, but he lacks that little bit of cutting edge to really be a genuine contender.  I guess Hamilton won't complain though about being partnered by him.  Have Mercedes created another Diva or are their strategies a little off? 

Red Bull had a shocker which is a shame as I wanted to see Ricciardo in the mix.  Verstappen was a little unlucky I'd say, the opportunity to make a move was definitely there but he does all too often create his own downfall. 

The STR Honda looked very impressive and Gasly's performance surely has McLaren scratching their heads a little.  A lesser quality driver, a smaller team yet they scored Honda's best result in this hybrid era. 

The less said about Williams the better.  It is embarrassing, so much optimism hiring established F1 engineers and this is the result.  Thank goodness the race was better this weekend or else I would have had to turn to drinking!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »
Scott as Ferrari's unsafe pit release didn't put a car on the actual racetrack, Kimi stopped it in the pit lane thus avoiding any danger to other competitors, a grid drop does not apply. .

The grid penalties come if the car is not stopped safely at soonest opportunity when problem is realised. Haas was not given grid penalties at Aus GP.

Had Kimi made it onto the track another issue of mixed tyre set would have been a probable further infringement to attract penalty, which would almost certainly include a grid drop.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the explanation John.  However to me there is still something wrong with the way unsafe releases are punished. 

The light system that was supposed to prevent so many of these unsafe releases does not seem to be working at all anymore.  It's as if the green light is switched on automatically when the rear jack releases.  With 2.4 second pit stops, there is simply no time to properly assess if everything is ok with the car and the team is out of the way.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
With all the technology and sensors around modern sport surely there has to be a better way of ensuring a car is released safely. If not maybe they need to be more old fashioned and and have mechanics having to push the car past a certain point following a pit stop....that way they're surely all at the back of the car before it launches?
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »
With all the technology and sensors around modern sport surely there has to be a better way of ensuring a car is released safely. If not maybe they need to be more old fashioned and and have mechanics having to push the car past a certain point following a pit stop....that way they're surely all at the back of the car before it launches?

That’s a great idea.  I’m all for slowing down the pit stops anyway...I would prefer them to have more impact on the race.  I liked refueling because the pit stops took longer and the weight differentials gave more variables for strategies.  Not to mention that the tire changers had plenty of time to do their job safely while the car was refueled.

Offline Dare

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
Why not make all pit stops take a mandatory 5 seconds. No one
would gain a advantage and the pit crew would be safer.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »

There are plenty of ways to make pit stops safe, though if safety is the key element, then why not ban pit stops entirely?  Pirelli (or any other supplier) could easily make F1 tires that last race distance with minimum degradation.

I like the idea of pitstops and tire strategies, but moving things entirely into the hands of drivers will clean up a lot of elements of the sport.  The VSC drama:  gone.  Unsafe releases:  gone.  Drivers limping around to protect their tires:  gone.  Paying mechanics to train them like a drill team:  gone.  "Leaders" who are in first place because they are out of pit sequence:  gone (anyone turning on the race should be able to understand the driver in first place is REALLY in first place.)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »

Might not have helped in this scenario though, if the wheel was still stuck after 5 seconds then the mechanic may still have been in the way when the green light came on.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »

There are plenty of ways to make pit stops safe, though if safety is the key element, then why not ban pit stops entirely?  Pirelli (or any other supplier) could easily make F1 tires that last race distance with minimum degradation.

I like the idea of pitstops and tire strategies, but moving things entirely into the hands of drivers will clean up a lot of elements of the sport.  The VSC drama:  gone.  Unsafe releases:  gone.  Drivers limping around to protect their tires:  gone.  Paying mechanics to train them like a drill team:  gone.  "Leaders" who are in first place because they are out of pit sequence:  gone (anyone turning on the race should be able to understand the driver in first place is REALLY in first place.)

Personally I like pitstops and I also wish refuelling was back in the mix - all adds to the strategy battle. The fact that Vettel had to make a choice added to the drama and ending of this race - if the tires just last and last then no choice to be made.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle