collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Max V  (Read 16743 times)

Offline Dare

Re: Max V
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
Isn't Jos Max's manager? If so he'd better watch bad mouthing
a meal ticket. Look what happened to lewis's papa
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:27 AM »
I can't see Daddy being Manager for much longer .. and it may be the best thing for Max, alongside ongoing experience and maturity on the track!

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »
Isn't Jos Max's manager? If so he'd better watch bad mouthing
a meal ticket. Look what happened to lewis's papa

No. He stopped being Max's manager when he joined the Red Bull junior development programme, because Red Bull doesn't like "karting parents"... ...unless they are Marko's kind of "karting parents".
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »
I don't know what all the fuss is about, Max is still a very young inexperienced race driver in a tough extremely high value adult environment.

Of course he's making stupid errors as he grapples with trying to deliver top end results that he believes are both expected and are within his teenage grasp. I also think Max is unconvinced about the ability of this year's car to deliver a WDC, he's therefore taking bigger risks to grab what he can when he can. Not the best race protection plan I admit but it livens up races.

The old adage of what to look for in up coming racers certainly applies, "you look for outright speed ahead of racecraft - you can teach drivers not to crash but its near impossible teach em how to go faster."

I don't see any threat to Max's seat at RBR, in fact the opposite may be happening. Red Bull marketing depends on controversial & outrageous stunts to appeal to the crazy youth following. Helmut would rather Max has shunts with Ferrari & Merc than the other RBR - although even that was forgiven for a previous golden child.

Just think how dull races would be without the likes of Max creating situations in races. I'm sure the penny will drop with young Max as it has for many drivers who go on to have long and successful careers.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »
    I don't know what all the fuss is about, Max is still a very young inexperienced race driver in a tough extremely high value adult environment.

Max has more starts than:
    • Charles Leclerc
    • Sergey Sirotkin
    • Brendon Hartley
    • Pierre Gasly
    • Lance Stroll
    • Stoffel Vandoorne
    • Esteban Ocon
    • Carlos Sainz Jr.

It's not fair to call him 'inexperienced' at this point.

He's in the top 15% of total race starts all time.  (Of course, that includes drivers who had no business in F1 whatsoever)

The issue isn't his driving per se.  Plenty of drivers are famously reckless (Gilles Villeneuve, who started 5 more F1 races than Max).  It's his attitude of blaming everyone else.  If he were to own it, to say 'Sorry, I thought I could blow past Hamilton, I'm sure I'll get it next time', people could forgive him (he is just a kid spicing up F1 after all!), but instead we see an entitled brat.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 10:47:05 PM »
    Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button did not make these serial silly errors in their rookie seasons, despite all of them being younger on their debuts than Max is now except for Lewis and Sebastian (both of whom were two years older). Yes, other young drivers have crash-strewn rookie seasons (and in some cases beyond that, even into their mid-twenties)... ...but they were either before the turn of the millenium, or never became the serial-winning/championship-fighting driver that Max seeks to be - and what it looked like he could have become in his rookie season (with that extra smoothing that he's been encouraged to refuse).

Sadly, there is only so long the "inexperienced" argument can work. Yes, someone has to be the overenthusiastically-driving pilot, but the time has come for that role to be passed to someone else. (There are takers elsewhere in the field!)
    Percussus resurgio
    @lacanta (Twitter)
    http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 07:49:16 AM »
    "I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:42 AM »
    I like Rosberg, but he should keep his nose out of this one!! ... after all, he didn't always make the perfect moves on the track between himself and Lewis (two incidents spring to mind where Nico was clearly at fault and it could be argued that those incidents were "Verstappen like").

I hope that Max finds the balance in his approach to racing.  Whether you like him or not, you can't argue that he doesn't have talent and raw speed, he just needs to clean it up and be able to assess situations better on the track.

Otherwise, I think that outside the car, he is actually a decent lad.  A lot of what you see on camera is the general hype and overconfidence that to some degree, is expected by an F1 driver - was it ever any different?

All the best,

Offline Robem64

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »
    I agree Cal. Of course, Max doesn't want to get a reputation for wrecking his own and others races but similarly F1 is an entertainment and he does bring entertainment.

I'm sure he will find the balance real soon.....and lessons such as Dan Ric's at the weekend will do him no harm.

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 05:07:18 PM »
    We are all opinionated, and I can't imagine a former driver keeping an opinion to himself if he has one...they all do it.  Imagine telling Niki to keep it to himself  :DD :DD and he was no angel on track or in the paddock.  I think Rosberg has the right to say what he thinks, and don't forget that he was probably asked the right question and he just answered it.  F1 media are famous for turning a 3 second soundbite into an article.

That said, I would side with Rosberg.  I'm not sure Verstappen has learned anything, or even worse, he doesn't think that he has anything TO learn. 

I don't like him.  Don't like his bullying (when trying to pass) or dangerously defensive (when he is trying not to be passed) style on track, and I don't like his arrogance and lack of ownership in just about every interview I've seen him give. 

I think there is little hope for him. 
    The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
    .. so do you think that should he make 1 more significant error on track, similar talks parallel to Daniil Kvyat/Toro Rosso may be taking place??

I think a lot of neutrals could never see him realistically demoted to Toro Rosso, but the rumours are already doing the rounds on the web!

All the best,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
    .. so do you think that should he make 1 more significant error on track, similar talks parallel to Daniil Kvyat/Toro Rosso may be taking place??

I think a lot of neutrals could never see him realistically demoted to Toro Rosso, but the rumours are already doing the rounds on the web!

All the best,

We all know that the job of an F1 driver is to bring attention to his sponsors.  Winning is one way to do that.  Having a larger than life personality is another.  Friends with deep pockets is a third. 

Max brings a fan base, and I'm sure the quantity of Red Bull sold in the Netherlands is closely being compared with the damage to cars.  As long as the Dutch are drinking up, Max can wreck as many cars as he wants.  As soon as they stop, Max will be tomorrow's 'whatever happened to...'

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 09:22:55 PM »

I wouldn't say one more incident or even two, but if his season ends as badly as it has started, then DR should be crowned the #1 driver and let Max play tailgunner next year. 

Honestly, I don't know what they should do with Max if he doesn't become a precision driver.  I was astonished they signed him to a multi-year contract so quickly, but I guess the Marko and others at Red Bull are gullible to the hype even though they are the experts in selling it.

Offline Robem64

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
    I get the impression that Max and Horner barely talk.  I can't recall the last moment I saw them together on film.  Max runs to Marko whether he has a problem or does well. 

Maybe the rumours of Horner leaving the team have a little something to do with Max and the support he has within the team on other fronts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
    Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle