collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 384
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mclaren woes  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Dare

Mclaren woes
« on: April 29, 2018, 03:32:58 AM »
Will the 2018 season be a disaster? Seems like it's not
the engine this year and how long will Alonso put up with
another dog car and season? House cleaning already in progress

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11350825/azerbaijan-gp-qualifying-brings-fresh-woe-for-under-fire-mclaren

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

Re: Mclaren woes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:00:58 AM »
Seems like it will be a challenging season for them, but I guess their proper car will be raced at Barcelona so maybe things will improve.  Seems Tim Goss has been removed almost as much for vocalising his disappointment than for the car's performance. 

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 03:59:37 AM »
Tough to know where exactly things go for McLaren from here on in.   It seemed like progress was on the menu at the start of the season, but maybe some orders have been sent back to the kitchen??

I can't help but think that Vandoorne's seat is now in danger.  The same "could" have been said for Bottas at McLaren, but maybe he has done enough in recent times to save his position in the team?

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:52:19 AM »
Seems like it will be a challenging season for them

The bizarre thing is that whilst their car seems like a mess, they are actually best of the rest at the moment (behind the top 3 teams).  Alonso has shown his worth and if in Vandoorne they had someone a little quicker, they might well have been in clear fourth position.  I don't see him driving for McLaren next year unless he starts making some serious points.

The car might be slow in qualifying, but Alonso has finished 5th, 7th, 7th and 7th. He certainly wasn't doing that last year! He's already clocked up more points in 2018, than the whole of 2017. Realistically, unless you are in a Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull you can't expect to finish higher than 7th.

guest3164

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »
Rmassart, Alonso does have that knack of scoring points when it is not always expected, but then he is an outstanding driver and one who puts himself in the right places to have a bit of luck (apart from career moves, obviously).  I think McLaren expected to be challening Red Bull right from the off though and the gap right now is considerable still.

Regarding drivers, I imagine Vandoorne's future is tied to Alonso's.  If Fernando retires, then Stoffel is safe, but if he continues then I think he could be moved aside to give Norris a seat.

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 02:03:39 PM »
I think a lot to do with Alonso's better than expected
finishes has a ;ot to do with the bad luck of drivers
that didn't finish the races.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:39:31 PM »

... to some degree, I totally agree!!

However, the same could be said for several mid to back of the field teams.   Considering that Fernando recovered from what looked like an ominous retirement, his finishing position was a little more impressive, so let's hope that the McLaren can shine in Spain in two weeks time!!

All the best,

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:27 PM »

... to some degree, I totally agree!!

However, the same could be said for several mid to back of the field teams.   Considering that Fernando recovered from what looked like an ominous retirement, his finishing position was a little more impressive, so let's hope that the McLaren can shine in Spain in two weeks time!!

All the best,

I didn't mean to single out Alonso as probably no one
else could get the finishes with the McDog as he has

Spain will be the big telling, this is the car with updates
they have been talking about

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:43:47 AM »
Indeed!! ... so no pressure for McDog to deliver in Spain.  Let's hope they have a good qualy and decent race with the upgrades.

All the best,

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
I was glad to see Alonso talking with his usual level of modesty after the race.  Saying that no other driver would have gotten the result or even continued driving that broken McLaren until the end of the race.  I just love the fact he doesn't appreciate how good he is.

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
I just love the fact he doesn't appreciate how good he is.

I wonder if he stands in front of the mirror, singing the Spanish version of "Oh Lord! ... it's hard to be humble, when you are one hell of a guy!!"   :DD

You have to love Alonso!!!

All the best,

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »
So the question some had over the past couple of years has apparently been answered...it was not just the Honda.  There is likely a small grin on the face of some Honda engineers this season.   :tease: :tease:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »
I never used to like him at all, but over the years I've mellowed to him, he's now one of my favourite drivers, great sense of humour and one helluva driver, a Carsberg driver.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »
So the question some had over the past couple of years has apparently been answered...it was not just the Honda.  There is likely a small grin on the face of some Honda engineers this season.   :tease: :tease:

If you recall when LH left McLaren for Mercedes McLaren were not winning and they had the best F1 engine for some time after till they said "we cannot win with a customer engine" then they had Honda and couldn't win and now its Renault's turn. It does not take too much effort to work out where the problem is even with the best driver or so he say's!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Calman

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 12:22:37 AM »
Looks like Williams want to have a pop at McLaren with their latest protest ...
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/07/williams-lodge-protest-over-alonsos-return-to-the-pits-on-lap-one-in-baku/

The obvious question floats to the surface again.  Should Williams be fighting at the front, would they even bother with this protest and issues with several other teams? (outcomes from Baku).  I guess that makes them no different from any other team on the grid.  At least the "Ferrari are threatening to leave F1" has miraculously calmed down (in a similar fashion to Red Bull's threats not to long ago).

We wouldn't have it any other way eh? (sounds dreadful with a Scottish accent, but them be the breaks!  :DD )

All the best,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle