collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 337
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Baku Grand Prix  (Read 7335 times)

Online cosworth151

Baku Grand Prix
« on: April 29, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »
Spoiler Alert

An overall good race with mayhem at the start and end. I think every knew that the Red Bulls were going to come to grief before the end of the race. The sight of Adrian Newey just closing his notebook and walking away from the RBR pit wall box seconds after it shunt showed that he wasn't surprised. Charlie reprimanded both Danny & Max, saying "you could probably argue that both drivers could have done a little better." Personally, I think Max made more than one defensive moves going into the braking zone.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

Re: Baku Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
I would put the blame maybe 2/3 on Max and 1/3 on Ricciardo.  Max does weave around the track under braking and it is pretty dangerous, he has a track record and something needs to be done to stop him doing it.  Ricciardo was probably a tad over-optimistic but then he had been frustrated a lot by Verstappen defending hard throughout the race. 

Overall though, another enjoyable race, lots of action and talking points. 

And points for Williams, so happy days (or day, anyway).

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:36:57 PM »
Christian Horner looked like a very angry man in the post race interviews and went on about "damaging for the team" or words to that effect. But the team also have to shoulder some responsibility I feel

a) in the early stages for me it was clear that Max was struggling more than Daniel and the team should have released Daniel to chase those in front.
b) the pit stop after Daniel had got past Max once, then Daniels engineer quite clearly gave encouragement to go after Max again
c) they'd had at least two skirmishes before the disaster. Surely, given they'd both been briefed about keeping it clean, then the pit wall management of the two of them should have been much stronger.

I do agree with the 2/3 Max and 1/3 Daniel split - Max definitely moved twice but Daniel also went for an opening that wasn't really there and then lost any downforce.

Leaving that aside what a terrific race though - Azerbaijan putting itself up there as consistently the most entertaining track on the calendar. Having been at the race last year then it's also a wonderful place to visit too - just a shame they moved it forward to a less warm spot weatherwise.

So for my Heroes & Zeroes

Heroes
- Vettel for at least having a go at the end
- Perez for giving Force India reason to party
- Leclerc for getting a great finish for Sauber
- Stroll for seeing it through for the first Williams points of the season
- Alonso for getting a car back to the pit with two punctures on the same side
- Max and Daniel for hard racing

Zeroes

- Grosjean for driving into the wall whilst warming his tyres
- Hulkenberg for throwing away a potential great double day for Renault
- The post race interview idea moving it off the podium to the drivers getting out of the cars - it didn't work at all
- Max and Daniel for racing a little too hard

Roll on the Spanish GP - I'm going to this one so hope it's a cracker especially as most teams expected to bring some major upgrades.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
I found it an interesting race.  Close battles up and down the field.  Excellent restarts from Vettel on both safety cars (if somewhat aggressive on the second).  Plenty of passing, plenty of tire strategy.  Once again, a well timed safety car mixed everything up.

The track provided a great spectacle, giving drivers opportunities to make mistakes that cost time, but didn't trap them in gravel or bury them in walls.  (Grosjean's mishap not withstanding)

It is a shame that debris on the track ruined Bottas's race, he put in an admirable steady race that deserved a win.  Hamilton was fantastically gracious about his lucky win.  Well done to Kimi for enduring some early drama for second, and Perez for keeping his nose to the grindstone.

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:03:26 AM »
I can't believe that I didn't select "safety car" in the Grid Game ... very stupid (vacant) decision on my part ... but I still appear to be leading it right now.   Seems like I have more luck that Lewis Hamilton!!!  :DD

So much to talk about after an afternoon in Azerbaijan and I don't know where to start, but let's face it, RBR and Seb's late dash for 1st are clearly the debates of the day!!!

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:38:20 AM »
big zero----Grosjean for smashing his car in the wall all
                  by himself and then saying someone bumped me
                  with no car close by

If Kimi hadn't messed up i qualifying could he have won?

I'd put it all on Max because he does it every race...he won't learn
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
I'd put it all on Max because he does it every race...he won't learn

Me too. He definitely moved twice, maybe three of four times :) . In fact he seems to have trouble keeping his car moving in a straight line, but only when he is being challenged... maybe he just gets too nervous. Who knows!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
I should go to Donington more often! (It was cold and windy, but my family and I had a great time there... ...and my favourite team and driver both had great results from a super-exciting race :D )

Rarely has the Hero/Zero thing been easier to do:

Heroes:

Leclerc - The first three races of the season were, I have to admit, not great. However this weekend, Charles strung everything together. The result was his first Q2, a decent start, overtaking Renaults and fending off Ferraris on merit, a 6th place that was like a victory for embattled Sauber... ...and the first time I can remember a driver apologising for swearing on the radio on air and unprompted.

Perez - Sergio had a better car than at previous races this year... ...until halfway through lap 1, when Sirotkin was pinballed into the side of it. After that, there was significant floor damage, and the first pit stop had to be brought forward due to tyre wear. However, Sergio raced extremely well and was looking good for "best of the rest" despite a penalty for weird driving early in the race. Then frontrunners started dropping out like flies, and he became the first person to get 2 podiums in Baku in F1. It was amusing to see Hamilton, the actual winner, so nonplussed in parc fermé and a pink blur in the background as Sergio dashed over to his happy mechanics.

Bottas - the only difficult thing about this listing is which way round to put Perez and Bottas. Should have won, and certainly drove like a winner. He had all the luck and it was all bad.

Zeroes

Grosjean's radio engineer - I'm putting this top because all the other bad actions at least had some sort of logic to them. I can see why Verstappen and Riccardo might have overcooked their intra-team battle. I can see why Hulkenberg might have somehow hit a Williams on a straight. But even if you were trying to deflect a driver's potential anger at themselves/their team/their car/[insert target one cares about here], I see no reason to blame a crash on a driver who was 3 cars further down the Safety Car chain and 2 corners away from where the crash happened. Seriously?!? At least blame the driver behind and be vaguely plausible!

Max Verstappen/Daniel Riccardo - I've seen a fair number of people blame the last collision on each of the parties exclusively, but I don't think it's quite that simple. This is really the culmination of the entire season so far. Max has been overcooking everything, Daniel has been relying on daring overtaking moves to support his racing - and has occasionally shown that he can be goaded in previous seasons. Neither gave sufficient allowance to the idea that they were each wise to the tactics of the other, nor of their team's injunction not to hit each other. It wasn't even their first collision of the race, so even the pitwall should have anticipated this and put in a rule (if only for the rest of that specific race). It was ridiculous, seeing the way they threw massive amounts of points away for no good reason. Both should have anticipated the other would react as they did, and done something - more or less anything - different.

Nico Hulkenberg - Hitting a Williams on the first lap is a bit silly. Doing so on a straight is a lot silly. Hitting a wall sometime afterwards trying to make up lost positions... ...I think you get the idea.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 08:29:59 PM »
Hello from the Scottish Highlands (Stonehaven tonight).  I’ve only seen the highlights, enough of the replays to agree with the 70-30 assessment.  But as for their judgement, Ricciardo made an error, and Max is a moron.  Looking forward to seeing the whole race when I get home.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »
Hello from the Scottish Highlands (Stonehaven tonight).  I’ve only seen the highlights, enough of the replays to agree with the 70-30 assessment.  But as for their judgement, Ricciardo made an error, and Max is a moron.  Looking forward to seeing the whole race when I get home.

Where are you right now Scott? ...  My sister lives in Aberdeen (has moved around up there!! ... Montrose, Stonehaven, Bridge of Don etc).

As you say, Danny Ric made a mistake ... and unfortunately, Mad Max keeps making them.  I think Danny would have avoided any portion of blame if he went for a "car width" gap and Max closed the door on him, but the fact that he ran into the back of Max, well, I see him as 30% blame in all honesty.  I think the whole positioning of a car and change of line prior to, or under braking, will be looked at AGAIN by the FIA.

All the best,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 01:46:09 AM »
Despite the obvious disgust of Newey and the equally obvious anger of Horner The Red Bull Team official stance is no one was at fault.  :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool:
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 02:09:43 AM »
The Red Bull Team official stance is no one was at fault.  :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool:

Hmm, Interesting!!   ... I wonder if this is a tactical approach, as driver negotiations could come in to play in the not too distant future, therefore, certain staff at RBR don't want to upset either driver by primarily blaming one driver over another?? ... also, if one driver took the blame on the chin, it could have adverse effects on how they drive from here on in (with potential loss of points due to a "safer" driving style).

Or ... they just don't have "what it takes" to discipline their drivers as others teams apparently do ... do!!??!!

All the best,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 03:16:28 AM »
Personally, I think it sends the message that they value Max more than Ricciardo.
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 04:05:54 AM »
Personally, I think it sends the message that they value Max more than Ricciardo.

They haven't tried to calm down Max up to now so why start mow..Max is
the future it seems
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 08:16:20 AM »
Max got the new contract first so is obviously their preferred driver.  He is young and edgy (well, dangerous) and that fits the Red Bull profile to a tee.  He is a good driver but his continual moving under braking isn't a sign of good, hard defensive driving but of being a danger to others.  The team ought to have handled the whole situation better as Ricciardo was faster all race even if it was only by a small amount and Verstappen just prevented him moving forward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle