collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 351
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Miami Proposal set for October 2019!  (Read 19662 times)

Offline Calman

Miami Proposal set for October 2019!
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
I would love to hear your thoughts on this latest announcement (well, it's been no real secret in all honesty!!).

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018/05/f1-announces-miami-grand-prix-proposal-set-for-2019-season/

Surely it will anger people to see yet another "penciled in" US based GP, in a similar fashion to what they were trying to achieve a few years ago (under Bernie's reign).   Also, the rumour that this "could" replace the Azerbaijan GP, how INSANE!! is that?? ... A GP which gives us 80% more action on the track, that any other race on the Calendar. 

I worry!

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Robem64

Re: Miami Proposal set for October 2019!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
Personally I'm in favour of Miami hosting but NOT at the expense of Baku. Take Sochi off....there's not been a good race there yet!
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
Personally I'm in favour of Miami hosting but NOT at the expense of Baku. Take Sochi off....there's not been a good race there yet!

Nice idea however I bet they have a watertight contract for a good few years, and are fully paid up on race hosting fees - unlike many other circuits, including Silverstone.

Be good to have a race in the Florida sunshine but it sounds like someone is spinning the story a bit on the Baku replacement part.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:07:31 PM »
Just had a great GP in Baku and they're talking about dropping it, plonkers.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
Yet another no action, pretty building parade!  :sick:

Yo, Liberty, we fans don't give a fat rat's backside about the buildings in the background. It's all about the racing. Since you all seem to have almost no knowledge of racing, let me give you a tip. There is a great circuit a little north west of Miami, which hosted one of the greatest F1 races of all time. It's called Sebring.

Oh, and by the way - that whole "Miami Vice cool" thing ended about 30 years ago.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
Oh, and by the way - that whole "Miami Vice cool" thing ended about 30 years ago.

Maybe they will name a couple of corners "Crockett and Tubbs"  |-( |-(

So, if this becomes a reality, will countries like Australia and Canada have a case for a 2nd race venue, or will Mr Liberty suggest that the only reason the US gets a second venue, is down to money and "the show" which they can put on ... on home ground???

Maybe Mr E should have pushed for Silverstone and Brands Hatch/Donington while he was at the controls?

All the best,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 08:32:32 PM »
Yet another no action, pretty building parade!  :sick:

Yo, Liberty, we fans don't give a fat rat's backside about the buildings in the background. It's all about the racing. Since you all seem to have almost no knowledge of racing, let me give you a tip. There is a great circuit a little north west of Miami, which hosted one of the greatest F1 races of all time. It's called Sebring.

If putting on a good show was all that mattered, then IndyCar would be doing much better than they are.  It's not enough to put on a good show, you have to bring the show to the people.  Once F1 gains a larger profile in the USA, THEN they can start moving to the tracks where they belong.

And given Baku is a great street race, I wouldn't immediately poo poo a future street race.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »
I'm surprised they've suggested this race for October given the Atlantic hurricane season runs from June to November.
I was at COTA for the 2015 F1 when it suffered the tail of Hurricane Patricia.
This was but a taste of how it was

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 08:03:46 PM »
Yes indeed! ... sounds like a lot of consideration went into that planning Robem64 (NOT!) ... and here we were criticising 4 hours races during monsoon season at other venues on the Calendar, who knew?  :DD :DD

So ... this is apparently the "provisional plans" for Miami.  It doesn't look like the most interesting track in the world, but I am sure that Mr Liberty is focusing more on the "Bling Factor" ... and the Almighty Dollar!!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135799/first-images-of-miami-f1-track-revealed

All the best,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »

So ... this is apparently the "provisional plans" for Miami.  It doesn't look like the most interesting track in the world...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135799/first-images-of-miami-f1-track-revealed

All the best,

Um... what?
 :DntKnw:

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
Yikes, 2 drag races and a little go kart track.  They could do much better.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
Watkins Glen or Indy. Forget Flordia
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
It reminds me of the old AVUS circuit in Berlin. It was proof that not all historic tracks were classic.

http://www.allf1.info/tracks/avus.php
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »
Watkins Glen or Indy. Forget Flordia

Florida is great endurance racing country (the Sebring 12 Hours and the Petit Le Mans are both held there), but I don't know if they have a plausible F1 venue. This isn't it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »
Close Alia, but Petit is held in Georgia near Atlanta, a bit north of Florida.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle