collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 475
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso wins at Spa  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Dare

Alonso wins at Spa
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:05:08 PM »
I have a feeling if Mclaren doesn't perform this
year Ferd might leave F1. He wants to win Indy
and LeMans for the triple crown and he's not getting
any younger.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11360768/fernando-alonso-wins-on-wec-debut-with-toyota-at-spa

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Alonso wins at Spa
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
Nice job.  Wonderful comments at the end about him thinking of sleeping overnight on the podium  :DD :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
Dare I think your headline should read "Toyota win Spa, Alonso along for the ride".  :D

Let's face it who else was likely to triumph at Spa unless Toyota dropped the ball.

I'm wondering can Toy really beat their Le Mans jinx even with no real competition.  :DntKnw:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
Alonso was far more gracious when he said it was thanks to Buemi and Nakajima and that he just brought the car home.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
Dare I think your headline should read "Toyota win Spa, Alonso along for the ride".  :D

Let's face it who else was likely to triumph at Spa unless Toyota dropped the ball.

I'm wondering can Toy really beat their Le Mans jinx even with no real competition.  :DntKnw:

If they don't I'm going to start wondering
if Alonso is a jinz and not suffering bad luck
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:13:48 PM »
I'm just glad to see the return of a mutli-series driver. I hope it spreads.

I wasn't a fan of Alonso until the past couple of seasons. He really impressed me by getting far more out of the McLaren-Honda than I thought possible.

Speaking of interdisciplinary drivers, Helio Castroneves chalked up an IMSA win yesterday at the beautiful Mid Ohio Sports Car Course.

https://www.imsa.com/news/052018/castroneves-taylor-deliver-first-acura-dpi-win-1-2-acura-team-penske-sweep-acura-sports
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »
Conway was faster in the final stint but Toyota froze the racing order to avoid issues.  But still, I am another Alonso convert.  I used to respect him, but now I find I want to see what he is doing.  His presence made me follow the Indy 500 last year (in the garden on my laptop) and I watched parts of the WEC race yesterday.  I was glad to see Stroll do Daytona earlier this year too.  I think it is good for a driver to do more, to experience more.  They can learn things in other series that can make them better drivers and it makes things exciting to see F1 drivers in different contexts. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 03:02:47 PM »
This week-end also pointed out the drawbacks of multi-series drivers, too. Dale Coyne's IndyCar team is now trying to find a last minute replacement for Pietro Fittipaldi. Leg injuries from a shunt at the WEC Spa race will keep him out of Indy.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 09:54:42 PM »

The other Toyota - and it probably would have done if they hadn't messed up its declarations document in qualifying! I would defend Fernando by saying he did do arguably the toughest stint the car did - the last one, where the other Toyota was right behind him for most of the stint thanks to a Safety Car - but it could have been a lot more difficult than it was.

And yes, I can entirely believe that a privateer LMP1 could win this year.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:07 PM »
This week-end also pointed out the drawbacks of multi-series drivers, too. Dale Coyne's IndyCar team is now trying to find a last minute replacement for Pietro Fittipaldi. Leg injuries from a shunt at the WEC Spa race will keep him out of Indy.

Wonder how god Pietro is? Or is the name that got him a Indy seat

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 11:44:37 PM »
Pietro won the last Renault 3.5 series. Admittedly, it had the grand total of 12 cars, but he has talent.

Nonetheless, the name and some decent sponsor backing both likely helped a bit.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle