collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 530
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2018 Spanish GP Heroes/Zeroes  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Jericoke

2018 Spanish GP Heroes/Zeroes
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
Heroes:

Lewis Hamilton is back to making it look easy.  I like when the racing is close, but it's always nice to see someone put in a race that is absolute perfection.

Valteri Bottas did everything he needed to, and finished second.  He had a little luck, but he has earned a little luck for 2018

Max... sure, he's earned a little zero by bumping Stroll, but he started clean, keeping a professional distance from Ricciardo without losing his racing edge.  He put a damaged car on the podium, which is heroic in driver terms... even if he damaged it.

Alonso, continues to make lemonade from McLaren lemons.  It's easy to say that the car is what wins in F1, but Alonso shows that a great driver makes a difference.

Leclerc, another driver showing that his skill transcends his car.  I'm looking forward to watching his career develope.

Stroll, 6 places gained over the start.  The Williams isn't great, and Stroll isn't setting the F1 world on fire, but there is skill in there.

Zeroes

Grosjean... just... he's going to need to be spectacular for the rest of 2018 to continue his F1 career beyond.  He's too 'experienced' to behave like he has on track.

Ricciardo.  How can you set the track record and finish 50 seconds behind?

Ferrari, once again, Kimi is not able to finish when racing competitively.  Then they accidentally give Vettel a Kimi pitstop and ruin his race too.

Offline Scott

Re: 2018 Spanish GP Heroes/Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
Grosjean is really behaving like a first year rookie this season.  He needs a bit of driver coaching to get his mojo back...whatever is going on right now isn't working. 

Sorry for Kimi - again. 

I was also surprised that Ricciardo kept getting purple laps, but then must have had another dozen crap laps between each purple to end up where he was.  At one point he wanted the team to move Max over, but DR never managed to get any closer and even ended up falling back by a ton by the end of the race.  I haven't seen post race interviews, but I would like to know how that kind of thing could happen.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Heros:-
Lewis for an outstanding pole & race, and Merc, for once they played the strategy right at the last VSC.
Valtieri benefited from the correct strat call to stay out when Ferrari pitted Vettel and made tyres stretch to end.

Sainz for keeping the Renault ahead of the supposed best driver and chassis combination on the grid - wonder who that could be?  :D

Perez for getting the force India car comfortably into the points from his lowly grid slot.

Zeros:-
The stewards for only giving Grosjean a 3 place grid drop for such a shockingly dumb follow thru on the throttle when he started to spin off. Hell poor old Sirotkin got the same for shunting the back of a Force India in Baku.

Vettel for overshooting his outbox at his last stop under VSC, the pit crew took half second to adjust - just enough to cost him 3rd.

Red Bull for proving that spending hundreds of £mil on areo and fancy front wings may well be adding little to F1. How else can you explain Max easily staying ahead of SEB with half the left side front wing missing??? :DntKnw:

P.S. I'm sure Danny RIC used extra fuel to get the fastest laps. He was in no danger from behind so he could do plenty of extra fuel saving to get to the end. Max had radio messages about fuel saving so he had been burning more to jump then gap SEB.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
My view of the race was a bit limited. I was helping to serve the Mothers Day breakfast at the AMVETS Post. I had the race streaming on a laptop under the counter with the sound muted.

Heroes:
K-Mag - Once again he made Haas "the best of the rest."  Now, if only they could find a #2 driver.

Hamilton, Alonso, Leclerc & Lance - For the reasons listed above.

Zeroes:
Grosjean - I can't help but think where Haas would be in the points with a reasonable 2nd driver.

Hard Luck Award: Sadly, Kimi again.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
I can't really add to any of the Heroes and Zeroes - you guys have it all spot on.

I was at this race and it was a proper snooze fest of the highest order - the Porsche supercup race beforehand gave far more excitement and close racing. I was surprised how many empty seats there were at the start of the race and these rapidly increased at about three quarters distance - so many early leavers. Zero excitement throughout although Grosjean was a lot to blame - taking out three midfield runners thinned it out from the get-go.

I did take a few pics so will post them in the gallery before end of the week.

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:41:39 PM »
I can't really add to any of the Heroes and Zeroes - you guys have it all spot on.

I was at this race and it was a proper snooze fest of the highest order - the Porsche supercup race beforehand gave far more excitement and close racing. I was surprised how many empty seats there were at the start of the race and these rapidly increased at about three quarters distance - so many early leavers. Zero excitement throughout although Grosjean was a lot to blame - taking out three midfield runners thinned it out from the get-go.

There was enough intrigue that the race was interesting, even if not a 'classic'.  Sorry it didn't translate to on track action for you.  I do think insightful announcing adds a lot to a sport, especially when there's not so much to see.

All the same, jealous you got to go, looking forward to the pictures!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 09:14:34 PM »
I was glad I saw it on highlights - there was plenty enough interest in that format but I got the impression there were also long gaps with nothing happening. Highlights, I feel, brought out the best of that race.

Heroes:

Hamilton - raced like the champion he is. Disappeared at the start and was not seen again until the finish.

Raikkonen - now that's more like it!

Sainz - did some effective work quietly to get lots of points.

Honourable mentions: Magnussen for getting Haas some much-needed points in its "Tier 3" fight (leap-frogging Force India in the process), Leclerc for scoring a point on merit in a Sauber and Stroll for making the best of a dreadful Williams.

Zeroes:

Whoever painted "SpainishGP" on the pit floor on Friday - more than a typo, it got seen as a bit of a political insult (this is Catalonia and there's an independence debate boiling...) and political insults from the organiser are a breach of the FIA's rules on apoliticism. I assume it was only the rapid paint-over after this discovery made it onto social media that spared the organisers from a FIA fine or worse. Come to think of it, the Spanish Grand Prix is out of contract next year and if Liberty think the organisers could be a marketing liability with blunders such as this, the contract might be dropped in favour of less risky venues. At least Romain's gyration only affects this season...

Grosjean - it looked ridiculous, it sounded ridiculous and got even more ridiculous after Romain attempted to explain this. Pierre Gasly is now almost certain to need an engine penalty by the end of the season, and it's really not fair that someone else's blunder should cause this. It's hard to think the FIA giving Romain a three-place penalty is fair when at least one of the victims is guaranteed a ten-place penalty as a result of the incident.

Verstappen - hitting Perez so hard it nearly forced Sergio to retire is one thing. Saying after the race that there was no need to change technique, despite the lesson about needing to expect different reaction rates to an ending VSC being obvious, is quite another.

Dishonourable mention - the scrutineering team for falling for Ferrari's claim that the Halo wing mirrors (too dangerous for Monaco and beyond) could not be removed this race and therefore had to stay on.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:01:53 AM »

There was enough intrigue that the race was interesting, even if not a 'classic'.  Sorry it didn't translate to on track action for you.  I do think insightful announcing adds a lot to a sport, especially when there's not so much to see.

All the same, jealous you got to go, looking forward to the pictures!

I really do believe being at the race gives a different perspective as Rob has shown here I watched on TV and did not think it a bad race but if you are trackside its a limited view of proceedings even with the big screens.
Will I go to another race?
Probably but I'm unsure which or when although I quite like the idea of Singapore again but have the triple seat option.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 03:56:29 AM »
I was at this race and it was a proper snooze fest of the highest order.

So, I didn't imagine it then? ... to be honest, it all started from Qualy, as I thought it was a bit of a non event myself.  after the drama of Romain, everything became a little pedestrian, other than the odd bit of wheel to wheel racing here and there!!

For myself, the REAL Snoozefest came when Mr Bratches started to blabber a lot of PR BLEEP!!! ... and thanked Simon and Martin for everything they have down for F1 (or do I mean the show?) .... I bet Martin had to bite his tongue a few dozen times.   Did Mr Bratches say "constituency" around 50 times in a 5 minute "chat" ???

Never mind, Miami is the BEST PLACE ON EARTH to host an F1 race!!! *drip drip drip*

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 06:06:19 AM »

I had a great time a couple of years ago at Catalunya.  We were on the grass in front of turn 7 (sitting in a lawn chair under the shade of a tree...couldn't get much more comfortable without a proper seat).  The race was a snooze fest then as well, but I loved the track food (much better than Monza, my only other visited F1 venue), avoided the 12Euro beers, but also really enjoyed Barcelona and that little town you walk through on the way to the track.  I would go back for that race, but hopefully not before they sort out the aero and find a way to pass like the Porsche Cup and the GP2 race which was super entertaining that year.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 06:17:58 AM »
I was also surprised that Ricciardo kept getting purple laps, but then must have had another dozen crap laps between each purple to end up where he was.  At one point he wanted the team to move Max over, but DR never managed to get any closer and even ended up falling back by a ton by the end of the race.  I haven't seen post race interviews, but I would like to know how that kind of thing could happen.

He had a cheeky spin under the VSC... other than that he was complaining about being unable to keep the tyres at the right temperature. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/5/video--ricciardo-s--sneaky-spin--under-vsc.html

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
Aha, and it looks like it was exactly when the lights turned green.  Too bad. 

Good find Rmassart.  :good:

Offline Robem64

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »
Pics posted in gallery
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »
Pics posted in gallery

Great collection of shots Rob!!!

Funny enough, the Halo's look more apparent in still shots, compared with actual video footage (or is that just me?).

I love this shot .... http://www.gpwizard.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=1510   
Looks like half a Ferrari on track!!  :o :o

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
Great pictures Rob.  I like how your panorama shot cut the Ferrari in half.  Were you in the first set of turns, 3-5 or so? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle