collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 415
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Blue Flags Up For Review!  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Calman

Blue Flags Up For Review!
« on: May 18, 2018, 07:04:16 AM »
Well, this has been talked about "Many Many Many" times in the past (said in a Police Academy style voice), but it may now be addressed by the boss man and his merry men.   It is one of those F1 regulations which always split an audience, as it could be argued that it currently ruins races for back markers, but if removed, it could destroy races for the guys at the front.   Also, if Mad Max and Romain Rally Car can't get past a "Sunday Driver" .... will they simply bash their way past???

Furthermore, would this encourage teams to play "dirty tactics".   Personally, I think blue flags should stay, but here we go again, another potential new approach since the new boss arrived in town.

Thought guys ...

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

Re: Blue Flags Up For Review!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:20:02 AM »
I agree that blue flags need to be reviewed, but not necessarily removed.  There needs to be some judgement used.  If a back marker is driving correctly and not intentionally blocking, then no blue flag is required.  The overtaking car should have to go off line to overtake.  If there is a dispute and the back marker is intentionally blocking, then throw the flag, even call him in for a stop-n-go to punish him.

I don't like blue flags thrown all the time, and I like to see passing, even if it happens to be a lead car on a lapped car.  It will also affect strategy a bit more, which is only a plus.

If too many cars become back markers that the lead cars need to lap, then perhaps there is a different problem in F1 and those lead teams should consider helping the lagging teams find a bit more speed so they don't get in the way.  :tease: :tease: :tease:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »
I think the blue flags could be done away with entirely. Give a lap's grace and then issue a backmarker with a driving standards flag (black-and-white) if they are still in the way of the lapping car - if we even must have a rule preventing backmarkers from racing everyone equally.

(Obligatory sportscar fan perspective here)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
I'd like to see the blue flag be used strictly for driver info, to alert the back marker that faster cars are coming up behind. After that, I'd go with what Ali said above.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
Supposedly the rule change about front wings, which is causing controversy itself, should make overtaking a bit easier. Therefore it seems the ideal time to change blue flag rule as well, getting past back markers in theory will be a doodle as running in dirty air will be much easier.

It's about time the high paid front running drivers started earning the big bucks by showing their class.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
It's about time the high paid front running drivers started earning the big bucks by showing their class.

Here! here!! ... it reminds me of the days when Seb drove for RBR in the early days of his career.  He was terrible in traffic, but easily held the lead at the front of the grid.    I think every neutral fan would welcome easier overtaking and some fair revision on the blue flags. 

All the best,

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
I like the idea of scrapping Blue Flags although I am left wondering in this era of so few engine manufacturers whether we might see more deliberate blocking.  Say Vettel is coming up to the Williams and, by some miracle the Williams is able to stay on the road in a straight line, perhaps Mercedes might apply a little pressure to get the team to hold Vettel for a while.  Ditto for other teams. 

But, that aside, I think losing the flags would only add to the racing.

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 11:22:39 PM »
If the removal of Blue Flags went ahead, I would like to hope that faster cars stuck behind slower cars, led to better strategy/pit stops ... but you know it will likely cause more "dirty tactics" than anything else and you think things are bad right now with drivers lamenting about the lack of blue flags being waved!!!

All the best,

Offline geralddickens

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21:04 AM »
I think that this is a positive idea: blue flags used to be a simple warning to drivers, rather than a 'three strikes and you're penalised' system, and that's how they should still be used.  Yes, some drivers will be caught out and may lose position, but getting through the backmarkers efficiently was as much a skill as late breaking or controlling oversteer.   To be honest in the modern era of real time data etc, anything that showcases the skill of the driver is the be applauded

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »
Welcome to GP Wizard, geralddickens (I don't think I've seen your previous posts) ...and I like how you think :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 08:33:03 PM »
+1 Blue flags used to be an advisory-  hey a faster car is coming up, use caution, expect a passing attempt.
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »
+1 Blue flags used to be an advisory-  hey a faster car is coming up, use caution, expect a passing attempt.

Gone are those days!! ... and the main reason I would support their removal, would be "the cream" in the pack, expecting them to jump out the way when they are quarter of a lap behind them, especially when the slow car hits a chicane and can't just "dissolve".

Wasn't there an incident in the last couple of races, where a driver came on the radio to ask about blue flags, before realising that the driver in front was there on merit (not lapped).

All the best,

Offline Robem64

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
This appears to have become some of the drivers default radio message "Blue flags, blue flags"
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
This appears to have become some of the drivers default radio message "Blue flags, blue flags"

That's Alonso's approach, Vettel would mumble something low key like "C'mon now, Charlie?" ... and Kimi would be more along the lines of an angry robot ...  "GET THIS BLEEP!! BLEEP!! OUT OF THE WAY!"   :DD :DD

All the best,

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
... and Kimi would be more along the lines of an angry robot ...  "GET THIS BLEEP!! BLEEP!! OUT OF THE WAY!"

Ha, Kimi doesn’t like to talk...that would be Max’s rant.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle