collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 358
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will FIA drive F1 budget cap with prescriptive parts?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will FIA drive F1 budget cap with prescriptive parts?
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:42:56 PM »

Racefans.net attributes the following information, in a longer piece about the Liberty/Teams meeting in Monaco, to an FOM insider source.
The suggestion is price control will be established on many more components from selected, and probably cheaper, sub-contract supply.
The real question is whether this is dumbing down or level playing field, I fear the latter. 

There is, though seldom a meeting without a twist, and in this case it was prescriptive parts. These are not to be confused with listed and non-listed parts, to which teams are either required to hold the intellectual property (the former) and those they may source outside to suit their designs.

Prescriptive parts are non-performance-differentiating components which must be used by all teams, much as the halo is a prescriptive part sourced from an approved supplier. The urgency is that teams are informed which parts will appear on the prescriptive list to enable them plan their headcounts as soon as possible. While some of the targeted parts will have little effect on operations, others such as complete gear cassettes certainly will.

According to a source, in addition to gear clusters, the list is likely to include differentials, standardised front and rear hubs, brakes and possibly drive shafts and some form of standard active suspension system – last-named to aid set-up and tuning while cutting the costs of development.

The plan is to ensure that the list of prescriptive parts enables F1 to maintain performance differentiation while cutting costs without becoming a one-make series.

Courtesy Dieter Rencken on racefans.net, 30th May.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Will FIA drive F1 budget cap with prescriptive parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
I don't think there is a problem with that as long as there is transparency to ensure the FIA or FOM isn't getting a cut from the supplier if there is only one.

Having teams build or even source parts that shouldn't have any competitive advantage IS a waste of money.

...but of course I still have a fundamental problem with the cost cuts, because I don't think they would be necessary if there was a more equitable distribution of FOM money.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
I think that the focus would be more toward "level playing field" .. as from what I've seen, this is more in line with Liberty Media's DNA.

All the best,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:13:10 PM »
They already use a couple standard parts, the engine ECU and I think the MGU-K? They banned active suspension after the Williams FW14B because they got it right and killed the field. The FIA thought programming the suspension would be too expensive for the small teams.   :tease:
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
They already use a couple standard parts, the engine ECU and I think the MGU-K? They banned active suspension after the Williams FW14B because they got it right and killed the field. The FIA thought programming the suspension would be too expensive for the small teams.   :tease:

it is interesting that Williams was once a 'big' team in F1.  I don't think they shrank, but that their competition grew. 

The list of Williams' innovations banned from the sport are extensive.  It's hard to research an advantage and then have it immediately dismissed.

I'm okay with standardized 'non competitive' parts.  While there's advantages possible with every part of an F1 car, having an arms race over seatbelt buckles seems like a waste of money, and a silly thing to act as a barrier to entry to the sport.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
The FIA automatically "takes a cut" from all prescribed contracts, though this is a set amount to cover tender review and contract support (such as testing fees).

My problem with this is that they are likely to mandate parts that are more expensive than necessary, especially since there's no good reason for the extra expense of an active suspension. That's likely to make things harder for the small teams for no good reason.

Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »
Gee, and I thought their mandate was to SAVE the teams money (dripping with sarcasm).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle