collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kubica in for Hartley?  (Read 6993 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Kubica in for Hartley?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
I think the situation with Stroll is complicated much more by finances than with Hartley.

Clare Williams has gone on record about a week or 10 days ago saying they want to re-sign Lance for next year.

I think this has more to do with his dad's money, Williams could face a big drop in income next year if they don't get off the bottom steps. Martini sponsorship ends this year as well and not certain there is any replacement. Stroll's deep pockets may be their way to keep the lights on.

IMHO Williams are looking more shaky now than Sauber were a season or 2 ago.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
I think the situation with Stroll is complicated much more by finances than with Hartley.

Clare Williams has gone on record about a week or 10 days ago saying they want to re-sign Lance for next year.

I think this has more to do with his dad's money, Williams could face a big drop in income next year if they don't get off the bottom steps. Martini sponsorship ends this year as well and not certain there is any replacement. Stroll's deep pockets may be their way to keep the lights on.

IMHO Williams are looking more shaky now than Sauber were a season or 2 ago.

Stroll isn't the strongest driver on the grid, but he's clearly one of the strongest starters, which is something to build off of, both in terms of his career, and to help Williams get exposure for sponsors.  As such, keeping him around seems to make sense.  Some are still cutting Max slack for being 'inexperienced', so Stroll should have that as well.

As for Williams vs Sauber, I don't know how parallel their situations are.  Williams is an engineering company with interests outside of F1.  They run the team like a business, so they're not spending money they don't have, but I don't know that the team is in danger of vanishing either.  I believe Sauber is a racing team only, and they were being run (with all due respect to Peter) like a hobby more than a business.  Now that they're owned by shareholders, the're being run like a business and not a sports team.  Without non racing areas to fall back on, it would be easy to see Sauber closing up.

Both Williams and Sauber have trouble putting the right people in key positions.  It's hard to get people who have the experience to take a risky position, and it's hard for people taking a risky position to get the experience!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »
The "caught on camera" stuff is what Liberty would like to happen - neither Williams driver is very marketable - but the sensible move is for Brendon to be dropped at year's end rather than mid-season (assuming Brendon doesn't have a major second-half improvement).

Franz Tost can change mood very quickly, and it's also possible the team at large might think that dropping Brendon so soon would be a bit unfair. There is always a whiff of intra-team politics at Toro Rosso.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle