collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mallya steps down?  (Read 17651 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Mallya steps down?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »
Perez seems to think Mallya could come out of this still in control of the team. If that's true, will Mallya still want Perez as a driver? Will any team?

https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/28/heartbroken-perez-says-force-india-f1-legal-case-was-save-team/
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 03:56:00 AM »
Perez was hurt when he went to Mcclaren with high
hopes only to find a dog of a car. I like Perez and hope
he finds a team
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »
At the very worst I imagine there is a team based at Grove that would welcome a driver with his ability and financial backing with open arms. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
At the very worst I imagine there is a team based at Grove that would welcome a driver with his ability and financial backing with open arms.

That might work!  :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2018, 12:58:01 PM »

They might even pay him properly as well.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »
There is some discussion as to whether FIF1 should be allowed to retain their points and prize money if the team is sold.

https://www.gptours.com/mobile_news.php?command=show&what=news&id=21306
Lonny

guest3164

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »
I kind of get why teams like Williams and McLaren would object, after all they operate within their budget even if it is to the detriment of the team (as you could suggest with Williams and their pair of pay drivers).  That said, I feel sorry for Force India as I get the feeling that some kind of financial mischief has gone on beyond the team that has led to their situation.  I would rather not see them disappear but I do get why other teams object, otherwise what is to stop them going into the red to over-perform, say sorry that they cannot clear their debts, go into administration and then keep their prize money. 

It's the rock and a hard place situation.  I really hope it is sorted as although Force India are kind of Williams main opposition (well, not this year), I really do respect them.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
There is some discussion as to whether FIF1 should be allowed to retain their points and prize money if the team is sold.

https://www.gptours.com/mobile_news.php?command=show&what=news&id=21306

Traditionally, when a team is purchased, according to FOM regulation, the team history goes with it.  Hence bizarre situations like BMW being neither owned, nor powered by BMW.

If new owners are 'punished' for purchasing an F1 team, the number of people looking to take over a team is going to dry up (and it's not exactly a deep pool as it is).  It's very short sighted for a team to squelch long term investment in the sport.  After all, Williams et al are only worth something because there are other teams to race against.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
The same thing happened with Jordan. The last year of "Jordan" was actually the first year of Midland. The sale took place after the deadline, so the name couldn't be changed until the next season. I wonder if something like that might end up happening here.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
I think this is more than just someone buying the team, if by way of administration they are seeking to get rid of debt then the other teams are understandably going to resist. The team may be viewed as insolvent which will cause loss of their F1 licence and loss of rights to prize money - £150mil in FIF1's case.

Incidentally being considered insolvent should also prevent them from taking part in races as well under the terms of Team agreements, FOM will not want that to happen as the grid is pretty small already at 20.   

With less debt any new owner is going to be able to put more money into development, the other teams may see this as a big disadvantage to themselves.

When BMW left F1 they paid up all their responsibilities, in the same way Honda handed over to Brawn debt free. Both manufacturers wanted to cut forward financial commitments but took care of their obligations. The naming was the least of the priorities.

Perhaps it can also be be argued, by opponents, under FIA rules a company in administration may have lost it's legal identity, this could then lead to loss of rights to the F1 entry.

You can't sell F1 team licences but you can sell an F1 team that holds a licence. I don't know if F1 licences are granted only to a single legal identity - ie a properly constituted registered business, or a single person/partnership - rather than a team trade name. The difference may seem academic but may make a heck of a difference in fact.     
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:39:46 PM by John S »

guest3164

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »
A Lawrence Stroll backed consortium has been approved by administrators to take over the team so Force India have come out of administration.  The bad news is they now have to race Lance Stroll  :tease:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 09:41:54 AM »
The bad news is they now have to race Lance Stroll  :tease:

Hey you cheeky chappie you getting bored with Williams?  :tease:

I thought you'd be pleased Lance is freeing seat at Williams - might even see Kubica  return to the grid.  ;)

guest3164

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »
Hey you cheeky chappie you getting bored with Williams?  :tease:

I thought you'd be pleased Lance is freeing seat at Williams - might even see Kubica  return to the grid.  ;)

Ha ha, no I will be delighted to see him leave and take his dad with him  :D  He's not 'that' bad as a driver, but it is bad news for Force India that in the foreseeable, he'll be one of their drivers.  I hope to see either Kubica or one of the talented Mercedes juniors parachuted into the Williams.  Maybe Kubica this year and Russell next year (should Lance quit mid-season).   

Offline Scott

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »
Maybe Sainz won't be the shoe-in at RBR, and he could end up at Williams.  For his sake I hope he gets on at RBR, but you never know.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
There is a rumor of Sainz to McLaren for Vandoorne.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle