collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Moving to HTTPS  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Slugger

Moving to HTTPS
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
Hi Everyone,

The Wiz has purchased an SSL certificate for the site so that it can be served on a secure connection (i.e. https rather than the current http).

In simple terms, this means any content passed between our server and your web browser (e.g. when you login), will be encrypted and more secure.

This is shown in your address bar by the padlock symbol.

I'm helping to get this set up but because of the number of plugins like the grid game and other bits and bobs, I'm going to be testing a few things out to test what works straight away and what needs tweaking to keep it working.

You might notice a couple of little blips but if this happens I will take note and revert whatever it might be back and then work on the permanent fix for that particular niggle and so on until we're ready to push everything live over https. And I'll not do anything over race weekends or the few days before in case something properly breaks.

I'm on holiday now and not back to any kind of normality until 17th June (well that's only semi normality but that's another story) but I'll be doing bits while away to get this done as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding and patience :-)

Slugger

Offline Robem64

Re: Moving to HTTPS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:39:14 AM »
I for one really appreciate the efforts you guys all go into behind the scenes to make this work....and slickly too. I wish I had the skills to contribute too but sadly not. I've also signed up to the F1 Fan Voice and my god they could do with a few lessons from you guys on a site structure which works.
Although you may need to look into the little "distraction" bug that Cal has experienced on a separate post!  :DD

In fact, this has just reminded me to make a donation to this years pot - hopefully all those who enjoy this site can do the same. A small contribution from lots and we can easily get this over the line people. :good: :good:

Rob
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:37 AM »
What distraction? ... sorry, what was I saying??  :DD

Indeed, moving to a secure connection is more important these last couple of years ... and it's something I still have to make time to do on our sites.   People used to connect "Secure" and "Encryption" with online banking and general e-commerce, but as you know, the web is changing fast ... and protecting your online security is more intense that ever.   So, on that front, good luck with the SSL related coding to set all your URL's to "https".

As the old saying goes, money is too tight to mention in this household, but if I support GPW in some small way (other than my recent community posts) ... I would certainly consider some kind of input if welcomed?

I used to customise SMF templates/themes back in the day, but it's been a long time and I mainly focus on phpBB and standard web development (everything from raw coding to custom design and social media promotional videos).

Amazing, I got all of that off my chest without being ... what's the word again, oh yes, distracted!!!  :crazy:

Best regards for now,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Slugger

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:27:05 PM »
OK folks...

It looks like everything is working.

I had a minor blip with the stylesheet not loading (so the site was basically plain white with unstyled text, and things not in the right place) but that might have been the dodgy internet I'm currently on.

Please try all your usual areas of the site and if you have any issues try a hard refresh in your browser (hold ctrl and click the refresh button or press F5) and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise please let us know what problems you see and we'll get them sorted out.

Over and Out..

Slugger

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »

I had a minor blip with the stylesheet not loading (so the site was basically plain white with unstyled text, and things not in the right place) but that might have been the dodgy internet I'm currently on.

I think I noticed it "briefly" ... so not sure if it was purely on the Portal side of things, or SMF Globally at the time? ... I just assumed that the "https" weren't all in place with the necessary URL's during the directory paths switchover.

Otherwise, all looks as geeky now, as it did a week or two ago!  :DD

EDIT:  The other point I forget to touch on earlier.   Clearly, your site now has "secure" and "non secure" elements, which triggers the world famous/annoying "Only Secure Content is Displayed...".   Of course, there is an easy workaround, but every day visitors to GPW may get a little flustered with the prompt appearing every time they visit or refresh a page on the site?

I sincerely hope you find this as constructive feedback and less of a "needless whinge".

Best Regards,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:26:53 PM by Calman »

Offline Slugger

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
Thanks Cal. Can you let us know which pages you've seen this on or any more detail as all of GPW should now be secure. We may have missed some external resources that are non secure (e.g. some banners) that we can update to secure version.

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 07:34:00 PM »
Thanks Cal. Can you let us know which pages you've seen this on or any more detail as all of GPW should now be secure. We may have missed some external resources that are non secure (e.g. some banners) that we can update to secure version.

You are very welcome Slugger, if member input helps, it makes the web development that little bit easier!

Okay, so from a quick surface check, I can see that your footer links are mixed content, some secure and some non secure.  All your 3rd party ads look fully secure, as does your main forum content/links.  So, at first glance, it looks like your footer URL's are triggering the browser notice "Only secure content..."

Update:   Also, the Chat Bar at the bottom of the forum is affected, looks like the 'CometChat' links are non-secure URL's (one of the main dropouts from the Secure Content warning).

Best Regards,
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:44:24 AM by Calman »

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 11:15:01 AM »
Everything I use is working for me, and I'm happy that you have got GP Wizard to work. (I have one of these for my tiny forum, and it worries me how many places that serve up login details in addition to personal details - or even, in a few cases, payment information - lack such a thing).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle