collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 299
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: What's your Story? ...  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Calman

What's your Story? ...
« on: June 05, 2018, 02:01:14 AM »
Hi folks!

This goes out to everyone involved in GPW, whether it be the site owner, admin, moderators, coders, designers etc.

People always asked us (my wife and I) where the idea/incentive came from, in starting up our website/forum back in the day.  I would be keen to hear how GPW was born and how everyone came together.

I've always had an interest in the foundations of successful online communities, wherever they are located and whatever brings in the people.

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Ian

Re: What's your Story? ...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »
I was trawling the web looking for F1 stuff Cal and I came across a site called F1Wizard, that was back in March 2006, still here 'cos it's great, Wiz had to change it to GPWizard a while back because of threats from I believe from FOM (someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure  ::) )
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »
GPW - small, friendly, apparently involving true enthusiasts and no Trolls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
I came along 2 months after Ian in 2006. (No, the computer wasn't coal fired) I found a friendly community of F1 fans from around the world. There aren't a lot of F1 fans here where I live, so it was great to have friends who shared my interest in the sport. I've stayed here for that very reason.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:48 PM »
I followed Alia from another site in 2008. Everyone here is great except Cossie, who's just as grumpy and cynical as I am.
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
Myself, I was scouring the web looking for "F1 Photos/Photographers" ... and woo-ha-loo-loo, I found GPWizard.  In all honesty, it didn't grab me like a sugar coated overload, as I was still focused on finding F1 photographers for photo usage/permissions at the time.  However, something kept bringing me back along to the forums, other than my paralleled enthusiasm for everything F1!!!

In my short time here, it's clear that the shared knowledge, respect, maturity and pockets of humour from 99.95386% of the members, is the ingredient which has seen my visits increase (between other web commitments, waiting on a hot meal to be slapped down on the table, sick of yard work, renos or generally twiddling my thumbs and social media simply doesn't gimmi my fix!!) ... so there you have it. 

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 07:23:30 AM »
I think I can speak for the 99.95386% when I say you are a welcome addition to our community and it has been a pleasure getting to know you. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Robem64

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
I think I can speak for the 99.95386% when I say you are a welcome addition to our community and it has been a pleasure getting to know you.

Echo that Scott :good:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
Likewise and Respect to you both!!  :good:

Best Regards,

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
I came here as I found out about it when another forum I was on closed down.  I then posted, left, came back, left, came back, left again and here I am.  I keep coming back, perhaps like some kind of pest problem.   :o

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
I'd launched my first blog and finally decided it was time it had an audience of more than 4 people (it was hosted on a different forum, now long-since closed). One of the people I encountered while looking for that audience said I really should check out this place. I did and... ...haven't left.

It's now the second-longest-running site I'm a member of (F1 Fanatic the only longer-running one).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
I think this is probably one of the very few social type sites that I'd consider a "troll free" zone...thanks friends :)
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle