collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 511
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Time now for standing starts after F1 safety car?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Time now for standing starts after F1 safety car?
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:50:08 PM »
With so many complaints about boring processional F1 races, particularly Monaco and to some extent Barcelona, is it time for the talked about standing start after a safety car period to be enacted every time?

No team intervention, unless a driver wants to give up track positions by stopping, the cars simply roll up to grid slots in order once the safety car pulls off.

Any lapped cars simply peel into the pits and re-join the race from the end of pitlane......simples!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:51:42 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

Re: Time now for standing starts after F1 safety car?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
Gets my vote as long as the pit exit is closed until the restart (nobody benefiting from a pit stop while the other cars cannot run at full speed). I'm fed up with Safety Car and Virtual Safety car periods determining the race result

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
 :good: :good: :good:

‘Bout time
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »
If that's the case, is there any point in a safety car?  Why not just VSC until the cars come around to the grid and stop?  (I suppose that means the safety car is replaced by a red flag.)

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
I'm sitting here trying to think through all the possible conditions to this .. but as mentioned above, close the pit lane and keep everything tidy, so cars can come around and re-line up on the grid.   If F1 don't overthink things, it "should" work out okay for everyone concerned, right?

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
Still need the SC to lead the cars around a partial track blockage or workers on the track.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
If that's the case, is there any point in a safety car?  Why not just VSC until the cars come around to the grid and stop?  (I suppose that means the safety car is replaced by a red flag.)

If you halt the cars under the VSC it will mean the leading car may have to remain stationary for up to 1 or 2mins before the grid is all formed up, tyres and brakes will be completely cold and the engine will probably overheat, sitting still for so long that's dangerous.  :crazy:

This re-start is not meant be a red flag situation but rather to spice up the race when the S/C has brought all the runners back together. Forming the grid for a re-start when the S/C pulls off will be more like the warm up lap before the normal start. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 11:44:28 AM »
I'm not sure it would help - the cars get bunched up together for restarts anyway.

Article 39.13 currently has a section which says:

At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.

This rule has long annoyed me, and if it was deleted (obliging the lead car to effectively become the Safety Car), then I think you would get bunched-up restarts.

(Personally, I'd prefer the "lapped cars may overtake" rule to be removed too, as this reduces predictability too).

Only if there is some advantage to forcing everyone to have colder tyres is there any point in having a standing restart without work permitted, and this against the downside of having to spend whatever time was needed to arrange that restart - even a "hot grid restart" such as John envisages would take at least 30 seconds thanks to dawdlers having no particular incentive to be faster forming up than they are during a conventional formation lap.

There would still be a point to a Safety Car in John's scenario - it ensures there is a gap where marshals can guarantee no car coming past, and therefore enabling extended work on the tarmac itself (e.g. removing multi-car wrecks scattered across the track, or doing running repairs to tarmac breaking up). VSC is useful for situations where the problem is far from the racing line (e.g. car in the wall but not near an escape road), or where the issue on the racing line can be fixed in a few seconds but needs speeds to slow down before the necessary gap can be made (e.g. single large item of debris in a low-attrition late-race scenario).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle