collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 344
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Holy Cow! perhaps Canadian GP wasn't as boring as I thought.  (Read 1920 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
The report (see link) by Mark Hughes on the race, and Quali, gives insight into why we got such a processional race. His explanations of various in car/strategy issues puts more clarity on why the race appeared so dull.

Biggest instantly solvable problem that strikes me from his take on the race is that fuel saving ruins any proper combat, especially at the front. Come on Todt pull your finger out!  :P

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2018-canadian-grand-prix-report

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

Re: Holy Cow! perhaps Canadian GP wasn't as boring as I thought.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
I am not arrogant enough to pretend I have all the answers but I have maintained for years that there are some really simple things they could do to improve F1.
One is to force them to use as much fuel as possible -> set weight limits so that the cars should leave the pits heavy with fuel but at the end of the race should be running on fumes - they have controlled fuel usage limits so it would be easy to calculate these weights. Yes of course there would have to be tolerances for safety car periods etc. but this is still possible and would avoid fuel saving issues during the race.
The other easy one (even under current regs) is to force a bigger differential between the three tyre types made available and make the tyres less reliable i.e. genuinely allow strategic choice of how many pit stops will be fastest for your car; smooth driving and a good car set-up is rewarded by fewer sets of tyres being required to last the race, or create some jeopardy by risking that some hard charging may need an additional pit stop or seeing if the tyres may maintain grip to the end of the race.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
I am not arrogant enough to pretend I have all the answers but I have maintained for years that there are some really simple things they could do to improve F1.
One is to force them to use as much fuel as possible -> set weight limits so that the cars should leave the pits heavy with fuel but at the end of the race should be running on fumes - they have controlled fuel usage limits so it would be easy to calculate these weights. Yes of course there would have to be tolerances for safety car periods etc. but this is still possible and would avoid fuel saving issues during the race.
The other easy one (even under current regs) is to force a bigger differential between the three tyre types made available and make the tyres less reliable i.e. genuinely allow strategic choice of how many pit stops will be fastest for your car; smooth driving and a good car set-up is rewarded by fewer sets of tyres being required to last the race, or create some jeopardy by risking that some hard charging may need an additional pit stop or seeing if the tyres may maintain grip to the end of the race.

The fuel one is touchy, in a world of 'green' aesthetics, having an F1 car burn as little as possible and win makes sense.  I do miss in race refueling, it was possible to push hard and then dive in to top up.  I do understand that refueling is a disaster waiting to happen, and understand not taking that risk. 

I'd be okay with taking pit stops out of the race entirely, with drivers staying on the same set of tires all race (designed to do so).  Without the possibility of over or under cuts, the drivers know where they stand and won't take a 'wait and see' approach.

Also, if Pirelli was allowed to create a tire that was designed to last AND increase grip (which seems entirely plausible to me), then we can remove aero from the cars without forcing them to slow down.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 10:25:40 PM »
Jean Todt is insistent on fuel being limited, as it is part of his ethos for what F1 should be doing.

However, it is likely that there will be a raise in the fuel limit in 2019 of 5 kgs, which should help a bit.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »
Jean Todt is insistent on fuel being limited, as it is part of his ethos for what F1 should be doing.

However, it is likely that there will be a raise in the fuel limit in 2019 of 5 kgs, which should help a bit.

Thought that was just to offset the stupid extra weight of the Halo.  :D

It'll take more than 5kgs to ensure they can race balls out at every circuit, and that's what's needed for the return of the true F1 spirit.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 01:38:30 AM »
Fuel has been a concern a long time. Here is 1985:

Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
I think everyone understands but just to clarify my point; it doesn't matter what the fuel regulation is; we are still looking at teams running on low fuel weight and then having to fuel save at the end of the race. The regs should ensure that they start on full tanks and have to use as much fuel as the rules allow i.e. they have to run at full speed for the whole race or get penalised for having too much fuel at the end of the race.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
I think the aero problem might be solved in other ways other than simply breaking off the wings and flicks that they are so fond of.  If they could force a re-design of aero and specifically the back of the cars that causes virtually all the air to be shot straight out and up at the back instead of a massive wash that is wider than the track.  That way a car could break the wash by moving off line and have it almost be like the DRS was turned on.   
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle